Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Deck of Stories User Interface Feedback

I am not sure how to send private feedback to the creator of the Deck of Stories marketplace bundle item , but I am struggling to use it. The way it interfaces into the game is difficult to use. I also can't combine and draw one card from all the decks I have purchased, but instead the icons for all the decks overlap and it is very hard to pick a card. I think it could be an interesting component of a game, but I also would prefer if I didn't have to create a game to use it. It would be great if I could simply have it draw three different cards outside of a game and then create one. Perhaps possibly draw a new card for some slots that I don't like. It is supposed to be used as inspiration for a game and I was hoping I could use it that way. Anyone else have experience using these cards? Anyone know if the creators might update the interface at some point?
Gold
Forum Champion
Hey Kreon! I'd like to take a look at this with you.&nbsp; I haven't used 1985 Games' Deck of Stories yet. I think I'll get that, install, and test it out with you, see if we can figure out how to use this, or how to fix it.&nbsp; The creator "1985 Games" has a Marketplace Publisher profile page on Roll20,&nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/publisher/546/1985-games" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/publisher/546/1985-games</a> From there you can find a link to their website, blog, patreon, and ultimately links to their Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook also. There's some ways you could try to contact the Publisher directly, if you want to reach out, in case they don't see this thread on here. The creator certainly Could update the interface. I bet they'd value this feedback from a Roll20 user. I'm highly interested in the Usability and How-To-Use aspects of your question, I just can't really answer in detail without testing it myself.&nbsp; I feel like I "get what you're saying" but I need some time to try it for myself to think about solutions. I'll have to get back to you later if I come up with a good answer for these. I've got some ideas brewing, but I better do some playtesting before I try to describe the workarounds (for the user) or the possible reconfigurations to fix it (for the publisher, to make it more useable for future users). The issue of combining cards from multiple decks: I also can't combine and draw one card from all the decks I have purchased, but instead the icons for all the decks overlap and it is very hard to pick a card.&nbsp; The issue of needing to Create a Game to use the cards effectively: It would be great if I could simply have it draw three different cards outside of a game and then create one. Perhaps possibly draw a new card for some slots that I don't like.

Edited 1659652541
Gold
Forum Champion
Did you go ahead and get the Bundle? If yes.. Did you install all 9 card decks into 1 game? Deck of Stories Vol. 1&nbsp; Deck of Stories Vol. 2&nbsp; Deck of Stories Gears Booster&nbsp; Deck of Stories Gothic Booster&nbsp; Deck of Stories Hell Booster&nbsp; Deck of Stories Highwater Booster&nbsp; Deck of Stories Jungle Booster&nbsp; NPC Booster 1&nbsp; NPC Booster 2&nbsp; One more question, what's the reason-strategy for "Drawing 3" that you mentioned? Do you want to draw 1 from the Stories, 1 from the NPC's, and 1 from the Boosters? I'm trying them out. So far here are some findings... Each deck has an (easy/quick) Show or Hide. That's nice. Your Game Table has a Deck Size settings. It's in the game table, under the Settings Gear icon above chat &gt; Personalization &gt; Deck Size. It's a slider. Make your deck size Smaller to be able to fit more of them without overlapping. Hide the decks you aren't currently using, with the Hide button. I'm still working on other feedback / ideas / methods.
Hi Gold, Thank you so much for responding. I am going to try and elaborate on the issues I have had. I created a game master that has all the 9 decks added into it as adding. Then I copy that game to create a game and start it. That way I can always reset it if I want to draw more cards or change something. The first issue is that I can’t see all the decks I have added. I only see three piles, in my case Vol 1, Vol 2 and Hell. I am unable to draw cards from the others even though I have added them all as adding. I only see three icons in the bottom right corner. At first I thought that the others were below these top three ones, but now I think it’s simply an animation that shows that the one card has been lifted because you are hovering over that deck. The reason I talked about three cards is that in the kickstarter for Deck of Stories they talk about the ORC system. I am going to try and attach an image that shows what they mean. The sum is that cards can belong to one or more of these three categories. O is opening action, R is rising action so a twist in the middle of the mission, and C for climactic action that’s the pinnacle of the story. Drawing one card of each of these would give you an idea of the opening, middle and ending twists in the random adventure. You can then use your imagination to be inspired by the cards and create your own adventure. I didn’t know I could change the deck size, that’s good to know, unfortunately they can’t be smaller than 40% of the setting. Anything below that does not change the site. Changing the size also doesn’t make all the decks appear. I did find a way to 'deal' from the deck. I think that was sort of what I was looking for, but I just want to be able to deal cards from all the decks I have added. Now I can only deal cards from a specific deck. If you hover over the deck icon for the deck in the right corner, there is an option to click deal. The other options are removed, recall, shuffle and hide. If you choose deal you get a popup window. There you can select 3 cards and you have to assign it to a user, so I assign it to myself. That draws three cards.&nbsp; Dealing cards means they are assigned to the left side, under the dark mode switch icon.&nbsp; Right above the character icon in the bottom left. They are then grouped to the deck they were drawn from and there is no way to just open the last 3 you dealt if you deal multiple times, they are all grouped together. It seems a bit clunky to group it like this. It would be great if there was an option to draw 3 cards (or more) that makes sure that at least one of each category is present, but as of today that’s not an option. The biggest issue is of course that you can’t draw from ALL the decks you got in the bundle, which would have been great. I also tried what happens if you hide a deck. I was thinking that then maybe one of the other nine would show up, but that also doesn't happen. I also think having to be in the game to do this is a strange adaption of the card system. The idea is that you use the cards to create a mission before you game, so that you have something prepared for when you do meet. I don’t think I will use it to "randomise" an encounter. I rather think it could be the inspiration to create my own campaign. It is an interesting product, but yeah, not very useful in the current state. I am trying to buy the physical cards. I have an order pending and hoping they get shipped soon. Then I will ask for a refund for this I think. I also think $68-80 for this is a VERY high price tag. Thanks again Gold for taking the time to look at this!
Gold
Forum Champion
Great! Immediate hint, go to the Collections Tab (a button above Chat in your game table). Scroll down to CARD DECKS section. Click "Show" (or "Hide") on additional decks. Now you'll be able to see how the Card-Decks column currently works to display all of your card decks. Then you can decide for yourself how many to have showing. ALSO in the same place ("Collections tab") you can Click each Card Deck to get a lot of SETTINGS for each deck. Something slightly odd and possibly unfinished that I noticed is that the 9 Card Decks in this bundle have some variations in settings. They are not 100% consistent on settings such as whether to allow Players (non-GM) to draw cards or not. Ultimately you may find that having more than 3 decks showing is, like you expected, scrolling in a window frame. Useful but also annoying/unwanted behavior at times. I'll play around some more and hopefully post here again to answer some of your other concerns (price, usability). For now I wanted to tell you how to "SHOW" all decks, to continue testing this.&nbsp;
Hey Kreon, You might want to lend your support to an enhanced deck features suggestion in the Suggestions forum. With enough votes and posted ideas/suggestions, the devs might take note and actually implement the changes needed to support many card deck-building games like Dominion, Terraforming Mars, etc. Also, for games that require you to stack the deck a certain way. This is such a core mechanic to many commercial and print-and-play games out there.&nbsp;
Thanks to you both for taking the time to write. I bought the physical cards and will use those instead of the digital version. I have refunded the purchase here on roll20.
Gold
Forum Champion
Kreon, if you come back to this thread, Please add your Comments at if you have a Vote +1 for "Enhanced Card Deck Features" in Roll20 Suggestions: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1240005/enhanced-card-deck-features/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1240005/enhanced-card-deck-features/</a> to help improve the site