Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can I share my games publicly so everyone can copy them?

Hello everyone, sorry if the question has already been asked but : Can I share my games publicly so everyone can copy them? I'm spending lot of time preparing my campaigns : creating maps, adding useful notes, creating tokens, etc. I find it a pity that all this work will only be used once by myself and my players, so I was wondering if there is a way for me to share it with other DM so they can use my work with their own party.
Pombodi said: Hello everyone, sorry if the question has already been asked but : Can I share my games publicly so everyone can copy them? I'm spending lot of time preparing my campaigns : creating maps, adding useful notes, creating tokens, etc. I find it a pity that all this work will only be used once by myself and my players, so I was wondering if there is a way for me to share it with other DM so they can use my work with their own party. Only YOU as the creator can copy games. The only way this would work is to copy a game, then Invite the future DM and make him DM for that copy... You will also need to provide the Invite Link as the future DM is not able to see it...
Gold
Forum Champion
You can do limited sharing to other GM's you know, using the way TheMarkus1204 described above. Otherwise no, the basic answer to your question is No, you can't give away unlimited copies of your Roll20 game setup. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
Going to add to what Gold said, if you have the rights to ALL of the Intellectual Property of your game you can turn it into a Marketplace module. You can start that by going here:&nbsp; <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/categories/360003756513-Marketplace-Creator-HQ" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/categories/360003756513-Marketplace-Creator-HQ</a> But again, you need to have the rights to everything in your module.&nbsp;
little Loophole I think will work is You create a Game Invite another DM and have him/her upload and create Maps in your game Then you can transmog those maps into your game. So there nothing really stopping us gathering 10-20-50 GMs, all creating and sharing our maps for us to transmog them to our own campaign

Edited 1660675340
Gauss
Forum Champion
Novercalis said: little Loophole I think will work is You create a Game Invite another DM and have him/her upload and create Maps in your game Then you can transmog those maps into your game. So there nothing really stopping us gathering 10-20-50 GMs, all creating and sharing our maps for us to transmog them to our own campaign I am 99.99% sure this is not possible. According to <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360037774433-Transmogrifier" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360037774433-Transmogrifier</a> &nbsp;you have to be the owner in both campaigns. If it IS possible then it is most likely a bug and should be reported.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Someone would still have to go to the work of setting up a map in each new GM's space. For a single map (assuming all copyright laws are respected), this would work, but it's still a lot of effort.

Edited 1660767499
There is a pragmatic reason not to share images in-game: if any contributor removes an image from their library, it's gone from ALL games. The only use case where i/we share a game between multiple GMs is Epics - when multiple GMs play the same game at the same time. A single pro user then creates the master game, all GMs work together to prepare that game and on the afternoon before the Epic the game is copied for each GM. As all participating GMs directly benefit from the co-operation, no-one deletes assets before the date of the Epic. We organize 5 epics per year and&nbsp; some of the older ones definitely have pages with 'lost' maps.&nbsp; So reuse of those games is very limited. Also, i can tell you, this greatly messes up your games list.
keithcurtis said: Someone would still have to go to the work of setting up a map in each new GM's space. For a single map (assuming all copyright laws are respected), this would work, but it's still a lot of effort. Keith, The Aaron and I all joined my Campaign, create everything there, than I can transmog them to my game. now you create a campaign, and I xfer all my maps to yours, so you can xmog then Aaron creates a campaign, one of us xfer everything for him to use and xmog to his games. ---- Sure - if someone deletes their image from their library - poof it goes - But what prevents making dummy accounts we all create and have them always host those images. 100 MB should suffice, most maps avg 1-3MB and now we don't need to worry about images disappearing
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The difference is between "Xfer" and "Xmog". The former is just uploading images, the latter includes placed tokens and dynamic lighting. Uploading a map takes seconds, you might as well just email someone the image and let them do it. Someone still has to set up all the extras in each user's user space if they want to be able to transmogrify a complete setup. This doesn't seem terribly different from saying "hey I have a dropbox full of map images that my group can use". And the problem with a dummy account is the same as with using a person's account. Either one can be deleted or have images removed. It's just moving the problem around, not eliminating it. And finally, everyone having transmogrifier presumes everyone having a pro account. There's a ton of room (assuming no huge audio files) for storing images.