Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Invisible PC Token Trick

Question: I would like to use the trick to have an invisible token that is a transparent .png token image (that part was easy). What are the correct settings for the set Auras top make it visible to one player and not others? Can I link the token to the character's actual character (so they can roll checks etc)?  While still having it be something I can drag onto the map? Hmm this recalls to me that there is a trick where you can change the token to another one using rollable tables... That was a thing wasn't it? Can I create some kind of swap to the invisible token for each PC such that only they (and the DM) can see it and they can reference their full character sheet?

Edited 1660852929
Hmm ... I'm not sure there's a way to make an aura visible to only one player, unless I'm missing something (which I very well might be). I will often make a invisible token with an aura visible only to me, the GM. Edit: Thanks, David M.! Good to know. You can do a version of this that has an aura visible to the player. The way I would make an invisibility option for a player would be to make a two-entry rollable table with the invisible image and the character portrait image as the two entries, create a multi-sided token from that table, link the token to the character sheet, adjust the token settings as desired, and make that token the default token for the character sheet. One of the adjustments to the token that I would make would be to make the Nameplate and Bars (if any -- say, a green HP bar) visible only to the player controlling the token. So, when the character is invisible, the player will still be able to see the name and HP bar, and know where their token is to click on it and/or launch the character sheet, even if they lack the aid of an aura. Listing the steps, with pictures: 1. On the Collections Tab, scroll down to Rollable Tables, and click "Add" to create a new table. Put in your desired images as table entries, and, optionally, name those entries: (Edit: One thing I am not sure of is whether I would need to check "Players can roll from table" for a PC-controlled rollable token.) 2. Click "Token" to generate a multi-sided token on the VTT. 3. Assign to the token to represent a character sheet, make the Nameplate and HP bar visible to the player, and make the token the default token for the sheet. 4. Your player now has a token they can interact with in all the normal ways, and also make invisible. Your settings ensure that the player can tell where their own token is, and no one else can see it but the GM.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
As long as the Player Permissions for the aura are not set to "see" (making it visible to everyone), then only the player(s) with control of that token (and probably gm?) will see the aura. 
Thanks @Sarah and @David - I'll try that out!

Edited 1660859384
if you are a bit familiar with API scripts and macros, you potentially might be able to speed up selection by loading the "must have" API script TokenMod (a thousand thanks to TheAaron!) and the ChatSetAttr    (a thousand thanks to Jakob!)  to the game if not done already, and using two macros stored  at the character sheet within the Attributes & Abilities section: By ticking the " Show as Token Action " box for both macros, and as soon the token is selected you just need to click once on the macro button you need. one caveats though: I believe to have the macros working correctly, both images used in the rollable table needs to be uploaded from your local drive first into your roll20 " My Library ". I think there is still a bug that prevents the usage of roll20 marketplace/subscription/free asstets  in that context.
The macro am using to get the token switch the image also decrease the number of spells available on the spell sheet (am using the 5e OGL sheet): /w gm !token-mod --set currentside|2 {selected|token_id} !modattr --sel --lvl2_slots_expended|-1 The above macro assumes to have the transparent image as 2nd image in the table. Two switch back to visible the macro am using  looks like this: /w gm !token-mod --set currentside|1 Again, the TokenMod call assumes to have the standard visible image at the first place: hope it helps :) 
Uh... missed the details that you need to have a Pro subscription to use API script, apologies :/ 
No worries Alessandro - good tip to post anyway. If my podcast ever gets off the ground, maybe I'll think about updating to Pro. That is if Wizards does not sway me to the dark side.  I'm already invested too heavily into Roll20 resources, it'd be hard to leave.