Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Can't upload images to the VTT anymore by drag-and-drop

Edited 1661479818
Jay
Pro
Starting today, for some reason any time I try to drag and drop an image onto Roll20, it just opens the image in my browser rather than uploading it and placing it on the active VTT layer. Also, my cursor doesn't change to a sizeall (pointed arrow) anymore when selecting or hovering over images on the VTT. Not sure if that's related, but it's definitely distracting. Happens in multiple browsers. Now drag-drop uploading's working, mostly, but the cursor problem is random. Sometimes it shows correctly, sometimes it doesn't. For reference:
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jay said: Starting today, for some reason any time I try to drag and drop an image onto Roll20, it just opens the image in my browser rather than uploading it and placing it on the active VTT layer. Also, my cursor doesn't change to a sizeall (pointed arrow) anymore when selecting or hovering over images on the VTT. Not sure if that's related, but it's definitely distracting. Happens in multiple browsers. Now drag-drop uploading's working, mostly, but the cursor problem is random. Sometimes it shows correctly, sometimes it doesn't. For reference: Which browser are you using? Do you have any extensions? If so one of them may be causing this. 

Edited 1661481361
I noticed the odd cursor behavior earlier today (latest version of Firefox, no extensions), but it's gone away on its own ... for now.
@Gauss Firefox. Don't have any visual extensions, but I also tried it in Edge (no extensions) and it still happens. @Sarah Tried refreshing several times. It seems random, sometimes the cursor changes and sometimes it doesn't. If I upload some new picture, the cursor changes like it should, but if I go to another VTT layer then back, the cursor again won't change, staying as an arrow. It sounds minor, but it's really disorienting for some reason. I can't tell when I'm clicking the right thing, or trying to click something that's on a different layer.

Edited 1661486940
Thanks, Jay! I just moved to the GM layer and back to the token layer, and the cursor behavior is bugged again for me (does not change to a sizeall when hovering over tokens.) Is that a way to reliably break the cursor? Changing the active layer? Because that seems to be the case for me. Refreshed page: Normal cursor behavior when hovering over tokens on the Object layer (changes to a sizeall). Switch to GM layer and back to Object layer: Cursor bugged when hovering over tokens (cursor does not change). Refresh page: Cursor normal again. I agree that the bug is disorienting. Edit: Firefox 104.0, MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

Edited 1661482231
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jay said: @Gauss Firefox. Don't have any visual extensions, but I also tried it in Edge (no extensions) and it still happens. @Sarah Tried refreshing several times. It seems random, sometimes the cursor changes and sometimes it doesn't. If I upload some new picture, the cursor changes like it should, but if I go to another VTT layer then back, the cursor again won't change, staying as an arrow. It sounds minor, but it's really disorienting for some reason. I can't tell when I'm clicking the right thing, or trying to click something that's on a different layer. Ok, thanks. I will play with Firefox to see if I can replicate it.  Edit: what file type are you trying to upload?
Yep, that's exactly how I noticed it start breaking. If I switch pages, it'll sometimes go away, but comes back if I switch the layer. I can also upload a token or pic, the cursor changes to a sizeall, but as soon as I switch layers the cursor behavior breaks again.
Gauss
Forum Champion
I tried to get the Edit in before you posted, missed.  What file type are you trying to upload?  Could you post your Firefox version?

Edited 1661482692
Jay
Pro
Drag-and-drop uploading does seem to be working now, it's the cursor that's the problem. Version 103. Updated to 104 and the issue persists.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jay said: Drag-and-drop uploading does seem to be working now, it's the cursor that's the problem. Version 103 Could you supply the full version number please? It is found under the three horizontal lines -> Help -> About. 

Edited 1661488894
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok, I did a bunch of testing and couldn't replicate your issue on 104.0.  I would shut down any extensions you might be running, and/or try running in "Private Window", see if the problem continues.   If it doesn't, my last suggestion is to file a bug report with the Devs, they may be able to figure out what is going on. 

Edited 1661489967
I'm also on 104.0, no extensions, same cursor issue. MacOS Catalina 10.15.7.

Edited 1661490516
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jay, what OS are you on? Wouldn't happen to be MacOS would it? Sarah, I am forwarding this to an FC with a Mac, I use PCs. Just in case it is related. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm on Chrome  104.0.5112.101 MacOS Monterey  12.3.1 I don't have the cursor issue, but I can confirm that I cannot upload images to the map layer. Other layers operate normally, but Map Layer uploads always open in a new tab. I don't know if this is related to today's disastrous code push, but I wouldn't be surprised. It broke so many things.
@Gauss Windows 10.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jay said: @Gauss Windows 10. Well there goes that theory. I am out of ideas folks. I turn it over to the other FCs, or the Devs.  I suggest filing a bug report. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I reported as well.
Thanks everyone for the details on this, we're taking a look!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Update with workaround until fix is up: If your drop point for an uploading graphic intersects with the area of the screen where an existing object exists on the same layer, the upload fails. If you drag to a blank area of the VTT window (or at least, blank on your current layer), the upload should succeed.
Also happens for me. Now following, thanks for reporting this guys!
Interesting thing is, if you move your cursor over the VTT, it does NOT CHANGE anymore if you hover over a token... It only changes if you click on that token... Prior to this change, the cursor changed for every single token...
Appreciate your patience -- this issue was resolved!