Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

White Text on White Background Since Dark Mode Introduced

I think there might be an issue with some character sheets that were developed before Dark Mode came into being and which are now bugged as a result. I'm not sure how this came about, since these sheets worked fine before Dark Mode. But in what is now Light Mode for the Star Wars d6 sheet, form labels have a CSS selector specifically mandating them to be white. I doubt that this is from the sheet developer, but I suppose it could be. But since this was working before and no sheet developer would purposely force label text to be white on a white background, I'm more inclined to think this bug came from Roll20. The sheet developers are not able to deal with the situation at the moment, but GMs running this system have reported this same issue on that game system's Discord. Due to another issue with the Dark Mode however, switching to Dark Mode for the interim is not a solution either. I'm now going to have to instruct my players to switch to Dark Mode when looking at the character sheet and back to Light Mode when reading handout text. I suggest you need to put in a baseline CSS selector instruction for labels to force dark text on light background and vice versa and then give sheet developers the override ability when they use their own CSS sheets. TIA Examples below: In Dark Mode, form labels are visible In Light Mode however, the form labels have a specific label selector with a value of white. I'm guessing for this sheet, that was introduced to make text legible in Dark Mode's dark background. But white labels on a white background make the text invisible. And this sheet was fine before Dark Mode was introduced.  As you can see, there are other issues, but I'm just concerned with usability and being able to run my games. 
A fix for this is on the go... just wait for it, it should be fixed soon! Solanio said: I think there might be an issue with some character sheets that were developed before Dark Mode came into being and which are now bugged as a result. I'm not sure how this came about, since these sheets worked fine before Dark Mode. But in what is now Light Mode for the Star Wars d6 sheet, form labels have a CSS selector specifically mandating them to be white. I doubt that this is from the sheet developer, but I suppose it could be. But since this was working before and no sheet developer would purposely force label text to be white on a white background, I'm more inclined to think this bug came from Roll20. The sheet developers are not able to deal with the situation at the moment, but GMs running this system have reported this same issue on that game system's Discord. Due to another issue with the Dark Mode however, switching to Dark Mode for the interim is not a solution either. I'm now going to have to instruct my players to switch to Dark Mode when looking at the character sheet and back to Light Mode when reading handout text. I suggest you need to put in a baseline CSS selector instruction for labels to force dark text on light background and vice versa and then give sheet developers the override ability when they use their own CSS sheets. TIA Examples below: In Dark Mode, form labels are visible In Light Mode however, the form labels have a specific label selector with a value of white. I'm guessing for this sheet, that was introduced to make text legible in Dark Mode's dark background. But white labels on a white background make the text invisible. And this sheet was fine before Dark Mode was introduced.  As you can see, there are other issues, but I'm just concerned with usability and being able to run my games. 
Very glad to hear it. Thanks for the good news! TheMarkus1204 said: A fix for this is on the go... just wait for it, it should be fixed soon!
Gold
Forum Champion
I found the problem here too, in the Jukebox, the button to add a sound to the current game is White text on White background, unusable: Please Fix it Roll20
The Devs are aware of this. Highlighting is Stuck on "Add to game" and has the white background. At least in light mode it is readable again (as are the other entries in dark mode)... Sad to say it took them THIS long to fix such an annoying bug :) Gold said: I found the problem here too, in the Jukebox, the button to add a sound to the current game is White text on White background, unusable: Please Fix it Roll20
Still having very light grey text on white fields in both dark and light mode. (any browser I tried)
Florian said: Still having very light grey text on white fields in both dark and light mode. (any browser I tried) It is now even worse! Audio controlls are MISSING COMPLETELY in Game!
Thank you for your patience as we investigated the cause of this issue, folks! The Developers have located the problem and will be putting out a fix for this shortly. 
Alrighty, the fix is live! Please take a look, and let us know if you’re still experiencing any issues. Thanks again for your patience! 
Still experiencing issues using the Star Wars Saga Edition sheet in the chat text.
Still experiencing white text on white background issues in Community Pathfinder 3.5
Having the same issue editing link in handouts and bio pages of characters as well.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi, I wanted to check to see if people are still having issues with this. 
Gauss said: Hi, I wanted to check to see if people are still having issues with this.  CSS issues for community sheets thanks to the recent Roll20 CSS changes... Else? Nothing.

Edited 1661549717
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheMarkus1204 said: Gauss said: Hi, I wanted to check to see if people are still having issues with this.  CSS issues for community sheets thanks to the recent Roll20 CSS changes... Else? Nothing. I apologize for not being more specific, I meant the white text on white background issue. It should be resolved so I wanted to check in with folks.  Unfortunately, I am not the person to talk to for CSS issues for community sheets, way outside my wheelhouse. 

Edited 1661590223
THIS is what I mean: VERY hard to READ and because of the same CSS Bug / issue inserting links in handouts suffer! BARELY able to read / interact with those! Also contrast wise another issue: Goes for all buttons here in the forums marking active page...
THIS IS STILL NOT FIXED!!! It is STUCK on "Add to game", other options are not highlighted on hover. It is kinda the SAME problem when you EDIT a Post here in the Forums! Buttons behave EXACTLY THE SAME... you hover over them, but they don't get highlighted in any way! TheMarkus1204 said: The Devs are aware of this. Highlighting is Stuck on "Add to game" and has the white background. At least in light mode it is readable again (as are the other entries in dark mode)... Sad to say it took them THIS long to fix such an annoying bug :) Gold said: I found the problem here too, in the Jukebox, the button to add a sound to the current game is White text on White background, unusable: Please Fix it Roll20
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheMarkus1204 said: THIS IS STILL NOT FIXED!!! It is STUCK on "Add to game", other options are not highlighted on hover. It is kinda the SAME problem when you EDIT a Post here in the Forums! Buttons behave EXACTLY THE SAME... you hover over them, but they don't get highlighted in any way! Confirmed, if you find any other locations where that is an issue please post them so we can let the Devs know. 
Besides Jukebox and Buttons here on the Forum when editing a post there is nothing to say... Some of the Sheets are still broken (see my post above) because of the CSS Issue with the recent update... WISH they'd fix THAT, too as the problem arose with the VTT Update! Gauss said: TheMarkus1204 said: THIS IS STILL NOT FIXED!!! It is STUCK on "Add to game", other options are not highlighted on hover. It is kinda the SAME problem when you EDIT a Post here in the Forums! Buttons behave EXACTLY THE SAME... you hover over them, but they don't get highlighted in any way! Confirmed, if you find any other locations where that is an issue please post them so we can let the Devs know. 
Gauss said: TheMarkus1204 said: Gauss said: Hi, I wanted to check to see if people are still having issues with this.  CSS issues for community sheets thanks to the recent Roll20 CSS changes... Else? Nothing. I apologize for not being more specific, I meant the white text on white background issue. It should be resolved so I wanted to check in with folks.  Unfortunately, I am not the person to talk to for CSS issues for community sheets, way outside my wheelhouse.  still not fixed white text ion white boxes
This also affects the Equipment page on the charactermancer for Burn Bryte.
The white text on white background while in dark mode is also an issue with dungeon world. Is there a known fix ?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Other than just not using Dark Mode, the only reasonable fix is to keep petitioning Roll20 to update their sheet code to embrace dark mode. Filing a  Help Center Request  will help by making a ticket. These add up and can help to direct the dev team to devote resources to it.