Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

wanting to become a creator but live in Canada

I know that the official word is that only U.S workers can become a content creator but I have heard that exceptions have been made. I live in Canada and would like to become a creator. I have over 3 decades of experience and a passion for creation. Can someone point me in the direction to have a conversation with someone who can help me? Thanks in advance Dwayne
Gauss
Forum Champion
Here is the information you need. There is a link at the bottom of that page to contact the Devs.
I clicked the " Contact Us" link and it just takes me to the generic content creator application which requires I go through the whole process. Should I fill the form out anyway despite their policy re. outside the U.S
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Dwayne Morash said: I know that the official word is that only U.S workers can become a content creator but I have heard that exceptions have been made. I live in Canada and would like to become a creator.  Hi Dwayne! I think you have been misinformed. From the Help Center (emphasis mine): Although our Creators are from all over the world, you must be eligible to work in the US to apply. You will be required to fill out a W-9 (US) or a W-8BEN (International) to confirm your eligibility.  I think the second form is the one you will need to fill out, and if the process is like what it was when I became a creator, they will send you the form after you fill out the application.

Edited 1662675183
Gauss
Forum Champion
Dwayne Morash said: I clicked the " Contact Us" link and it just takes me to the generic content creator application which requires I go through the whole process. Should I fill the form out anyway despite their policy re. outside the U.S My apologies, I should have been more explicit in the directions to contact the Devs. Here is the link to the Help Center . I have already set it up with the menu choice for Content Creators. 
Xenobunny
Marketplace Creator
Hey I'm a Canadian Content Creator. Follow the procedures through the "contact us" link and prepare for about 6-8 correspondence emails with a Roll20 representative. Treat the letter similar to a cover letter including relevant portfolio links and perhaps a few sample image attachments. It might take a month to reach an agent after an automated reply of reception. My experience with their staff was pretty good/professional. You have to be exact (no mistakes) with any deliverables they request and read the emails they send twice over in case you need to send a notice when your first art pack is ready. There will be a virtual signing of a merchant agreement and a W8ben which allows you to operate with a tax exemption. I recommend, for your Canadian taxes, to monitor your payout records from roll20 via your affiliated payout app (probably paypal). Unfortunately, the record will be a bit odd as your exact payout is converted from USD to CAD on the fluctuating conversion rate. It's very exciting and somewhat nerve racking :P For further research, Roll20 has pages on becoming a marketplace creator which discusses the basics of creating art packs, the resolution averages they operate in for pngs, ect. The forums, internal and external of Roll20 have general discussions regarding preferred dimensions for tokens and such. I like 280x280pixels as it converts to 70 x 4 or a 2 by 2 grid square. Stuff like that to avoid snags. Good luck.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'd like to add that the Discord mentioned in the Help Center procedures for becoming a Marketplace Creator is a great place to get super helpful info like Xenobunny's above.
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I'm also a Canadian marketplace seller. Email the team to get started. Just record the USD to CAD at the time of transaction, you'll know since you'll be submitting it to your bank most likely and it'll tell you then what it's worth in CAD at the moment, OR you are legally allowed to report an 'averaging' of your USD income if you want to risk the fluctuation. It's not that hard to do the taxes, I don't even use an accountant for it because my income from Roll20 is so low it's easy, they even have categories in Canadian taxes for things like commissions and art related income under the self-employed income section so you will easily know what to do. You can also record your expenses, such as programs you buy to make art for Roll20's marketplace, your internet costs, etc.