Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

'Whisper to self' command

I see there was a previous suggestion for this idea , but I'm hoping that it might be able to be revived. I can see a strong case for many situations where it would be helpful to have a 'whisper to myself' command for chat menus or hidden rolls or just notes to keep in chat. I don't think it would be a particularly hard implementation to add a '/self ' command to send the contents of the message only to the sender of the message.

Edited 1663619739
us /talktomyself or /w player or character name
Unfortunately /talktomyself doesn't work with API commands, and /w player doesn't work with GM-created Collection Macros to only send those messages back to the player.
I make macro for my players, with /w @{selected|character_name} or /w "the player's name" all the time. and it sends them to just the player.   /w @{selected|character_name} also works for the just to GM unless more than one person has control of the character/token.

Edited 1663679584
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That would be a good addition for universal macros. Assuming that's the general context you're thinking of, it would specifically whisper the player (not the character, or /w gm, both of those can potentially go to multiple targets) and also have the noarchive flag, so it doesn't get posted to the chat archive. Is that the gist? I mean.... it would be really nice to have a custom UI area instead of forcing the chat bar to do double-duty, but that's a different kettle of Aboleth.... *peers suspiciously at other VTT which does this*
Gold
Forum Champion
For a workaround... Create a "Character" in your game, which is controlled only by you. Whisper to that Character. example, /w Gandalf-Himself This is a secret whisper that can only been seen by the controller of Gandalf-Himself You could name the character "SELF" if that's the name you like, /w SELF This is a secret whisper that can only been seen by the controller of a character named SELF
Oosh said: That would be a good addition for universal macros. Assuming that's the general context you're thinking of, it would specifically whisper the player (not the character, or /w gm, both of those can potentially go to multiple targets) and also have the noarchive flag, so it doesn't get posted to the chat archive. Is that the gist? I mean.... it would be really nice to have a custom UI area instead of forcing the chat bar to do double-duty, but that's a different kettle of Aboleth.... *peers suspiciously at other VTT which does this* Yep, agreed! Gold said: For a workaround... Create a "Character" in your game, which is controlled only by you. Whisper to that Character. example, /w Gandalf-Himself This is a secret whisper that can only been seen by the controller of Gandalf-Himself You could name the character "SELF" if that's the name you like, /w SELF This is a secret whisper that can only been seen by the controller of a character named SELF Yeah I use this technique already for a 'whisper to player' macro.    I was thinking about a way to create universal macros or even to simplify some API commands.  But it's also possible that it's not that big an issue for others and not worth the time to implement!  
Whisper self is something that keeps getting asked about and being able to handle it without the caveats of the various workarounds I feel is worthwhile. Also to add to the listed workarounds here is Macro overloading which doesn't require tokens/characters and can be used with GM-created collection macros or macro mules .
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
API-based workaround: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/API:Short_Community_Scripts#Whisper_Self" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/API:Short_Community_Scripts#Whisper_Self</a>
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .