Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Player can see the entire map

Fresh out of session now, during the session one player who's using firefox said that the map suddenly lit up and he could see the whole map. It happened when he moved and even when he didn't do anything. Other players couldn't see anything other than what they were supposed to and me changing vision for that player didn't fix anything. Moving the players from the map to a different map and then back to the original map made the player who was seeing the whole map receive an error or just get stuck in the loading screen. Are there other people with this problem?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Are you using Fog of War or Dynamic Lighting (and which DL?)
Gauss said: Are you using Fog of War or Dynamic Lighting (and which DL?) DL, update on token drop and explorer mode.
Gauss
Forum Champion
So my experience is that sometimes explorer mode breaks for some folks. And when it does break, there is nothing hiding the map anymore.  Unfortunately UDL doesn't have a backup Fog of War like LDL did. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Does Permanent Darkness also fail in situations like this? I've only had complete failure on DL Explorer mode maybe twice, so I haven't been able to do a lot of testing.
keithcurtis said: Does Permanent Darkness also fail in situations like this? I've only had complete failure on DL Explorer mode maybe twice, so I haven't been able to do a lot of testing. Yes I tried using permanent darkness and asked them if they still see anything and once said he can't and the player who could see the entire map could still see everything.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Is the player who can see the whole map running an extension like "NoScript"? The inability to run JavaScript on a page can kill Dynamic Lighting.
keithcurtis said: Is the player who can see the whole map running an extension like "NoScript"? The inability to run JavaScript on a page can kill Dynamic Lighting. No. They have only adblocker. We do use VTT Enhancement Suite for roll20 but again, one player could see everything while the other saw the map as intended.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have heard anecdotal reports of Adblocker interfering with Dynamic lighting. Try whitelisting the roll20 site and see if that clears it up.
I have had this problem in my last two games. If I accidentally click on 'Reset Permanent Darkness' then the whole map is revealed. Is this what 'Reset Permanent Darkness' is supposed to do? I say 'accidentally' because if you use a browser with magnification and forget to remove that magnification then the screen estate near the bottom of the Roll20 screen gets a bit 'overlaid'. Which is not ofc a Roll20 problem.
Gauss
Forum Champion
The Claw said: I have had this problem in my last two games. If I accidentally click on 'Reset Permanent Darkness' then the whole map is revealed. Is this what 'Reset Permanent Darkness' is supposed to do? I say 'accidentally' because if you use a browser with magnification and forget to remove that magnification then the screen estate near the bottom of the Roll20 screen gets a bit 'overlaid'. Which is not ofc a Roll20 problem. It is definitely counterintuitive since Fog of War works opposite of that.  Fog of War reset: entire map is covered. This is probably because the baseline state of FoW is to cover everything Permanent Darkness reset: entire map is uncovered. This is probably because the baseline state of Permanent Darkness is to not cover anything, you have to manually cover it.