Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

My chrome recently updated and now Roll20 vtt runs like crap on it. Firefox works fine.

This issue is only effecting my chrome browser, where now each map on the VTT is EXTREMELY laggy to the point of being nearly unplayable. Firefox still runs fine and my Chrome on another laptop runs it fine(which hasn't updated yet). Dunno why this happening but hopefully resolved somehow?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi I-O! Here are a couple of things to look at. It is possible that the browser update reset some critical settings. Make sure that it is still set to use hardware acceleration. WebGL should also be on, but this is less likely to be the culprit, since it typically defaults to on. You can also try deleting cache and cookies. Finally, there is an issue with memory leaks that was introduced to Chrome a few updates back. Roll20 has announced that they have been in communication with the Chrome Development team, and the browser should be updated in the next couple of weeks with code to fix that.
Yo Keith, I deleted all my temp files and cookies and stuff for chrome before the post. No luck there. My chrome never has any webgl options (for whatever reason) to this day. Hardware acceleration is still on as it has always been aswell. Maybe it is some sorta memory leak thing afterall, so I hope the fix works out soon.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Whether you've ever set or messed with them, Chrome has WebGL settings. You can see them here:  chrome://gpu/ The last three in the first block should read "hardware accelerated".

Edited 1664489112
.  what I'm saying is, there are no options for me to interact with webgl in flags. Only unrelated developer tool settings.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I had forgotten this was a recent change in Chrome. From the Help Center : August '22 Update: As of August 2022, new updates in Chrome have changed how WebGL functions. This has impacted how Roll20 works with Chrome, and we are still configuring the extent of these changes. If you’re having problems loading your game or accessing Dynamic lighting, please reach out to us via the Help Center! If the lag gets bad enough to require dev intervention, you can grab a  Console Log ( Chrome , Firefox ) before filing a  Help Center Request . That might help them diagnose the issue, though it sounds like they are working to resolve it already.