Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking for help designing a macro that mimics the normal 'ability use' box.

I'm sure I could try and reconstruct it, but my take on it would be some terrible hacked-together thing that would barely work and not even heard of the word 'best practices'. So I felt best if I ask people who have experience working on actual macros, which are not a thing I have did much with. I'm looking to make a macro that outputs something like those two - specifically has the nice, rounded shape of a skill roll, but still has the Temporary HP under the number. However, the core of what I'm after has to do with the Pep Talk part - I really want to make a macro that has a whole list of those and picks one at random every time I click it. Ideally hovering mouse over the word wouldn't show anything. I tried doing it with rolling tables but A: that'd require extra work on the DM's side which I very much want to avoid and B: didn't work.
Gauss
Forum Champion
To get the format all you need to do is make an attack, skill check, etc, and then click on the chat tab's chat window. Then hit the up arrow on your keyboard, copy that, and you have the format. 
Skill check only shows the "how to get it", doesn't get the format of the thing. Attack clearly uses a template which has the different styling. So, no help at all.

Edited 1664747124
Gauss
Forum Champion
You can also pull that data from the Attributes & Abilities tab.  Find the skill check name there, copy that.  Example for Perception from "perception_roll" (without quotes):  @{wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=^{perception-u}}} {{mod=@{perception_bonus}}} {{r1=[[@{d20}+2[Proficiency]+2[wisdom]@{pbd_safe}]]}} {{query=1}} ?{Advantage?|Normal Roll,&#123&#123normal=1&#125&#125 &#123&#123r2=[[0d20|Advantage,&#123&#123advantage=1&#125&#125 &#123&#123r2=[[@{d20}|Disadvantage,&#123&#123disadvantage=1&#125&#125 &#123&#123r2=[[@{d20}}+2[Proficiency]+2[wisdom]@{pbd_safe}]]}} {{global=@{global_skill_mod}}} @{charname_output}
Here is a list of all the 'D&D 5E by Roll20' sheet roll templates. I think that the 'simple' roll template should work for what you want, and you could modify the 'rname' field to reference a rollable table with a selection of items. Something like this: &{template:simple} {{rname=[[ 1t[PepTalkTable] ]]}} {{mod=Pep Talk}} {{r1=5}} {{normal=1}} {{charname=charname}} Unfortunately I don't know of any way to get a 'random result' without using a rollable table or an API Mod script; either one would require your GM's involvement.
Jarren said: Here is a list of all the 'D&D 5E by Roll20' sheet roll templates. I think that the 'simple' roll template should work for what you want, and you could modify the 'rname' field to reference a rollable table with a selection of items. Something like this: &{template:simple} {{rname=[[ 1t[PepTalkTable] ]]}} {{mod=Pep Talk}} {{r1=5}} {{normal=1}} {{charname=charname}} Unfortunately I don't know of any way to get a 'random result' without using a rollable table or an API Mod script; either one would require your GM's involvement. helpful, thanks, seems the simple template has no way to display a damage type in a visually pleasant way (unless I can sneak formatting in there? doubtful). Hmm. So it's either set up a rollable table, or prompt me for which phrase from a list to use, correct?
Jarren said: Here is a list of all the 'D&D 5E by Roll20' sheet roll templates. I think that the 'simple' roll template should work for what you want, and you could modify the 'rname' field to reference a rollable table with a selection of items. Something like this: &{template:simple} {{rname=[[ 1t[PepTalkTable] ]]}} {{mod=Pep Talk}} {{r1=5}} {{normal=1}} {{charname=charname}} Unfortunately I don't know of any way to get a 'random result' without using a rollable table or an API Mod script; either one would require your GM's involvement. fun fact, it doesn't work! The formatting I mean. Putting a rollable table in the name field breaks its formatting and also lets you preview if you hover over it, which I don't want. Guess it's a prompt. Pity I can't set a different value.
I test the following template &{template:simple} {{rname=[[1t[Wild-Surge]]]}} {{mod=Temp HP}} {{r1=5}} {{normal=1}} {{charname=charname}} and this is the result. Is this what you are looking for?
Warlord said: I test the following template &{template:simple} {{rname=[[1t[Wild-Surge]]]}} {{mod=Temp HP}} {{r1=5}} {{normal=1}} {{charname=charname}} and this is the result. Is this what you are looking for? Unfortunately, it messes up the formatting (the text should be bolded) and hovering your mouse over the rollable table result reveals it to be a rollable table which I don't like.