Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

A game invite without being sent one

I encountered a strange bug today. A friend of mine, who is in one of my games, got an invite to another of my games and was in fact just added to the list of players (AFAIK), but I never sent him an invite to that game! How is this possible?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Tommi! Could: A) another player in the new game have sent the game address? B) you have duplicated the old game and included the player list? That does sound weird, though.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Some possibilities:  Did you copy the game? Copies can retain the players Did you hit the Invite button and send them an email?  Did you send someone else the join link and they got it from that someone else?  How did they say they got the invite? 
keithcurtis said: Hi Tommi! Could: A) another player in the new game have sent the game address? B) you have duplicated the old game and included the player list? That does sound weird, though. A) No, nobody did (to my knowledge, have to double check). B) No, I haven't duplicated that game. It is very weird. This occurred as we were playing another game and the player in question, who is not very experienced with Roll20, asked why he was in a stange, different game. SOmehow he had managed to enter the other game of mine, which we were not playing at the moment and to which he was not invited (and that game is on hiatus, last played some 2 years ago). A bit before this, I was having problems with the Chrome browser, getting an error message about Ghostery app or something. DIdn't catch it well as I was running/GMing our game and was in the middle of describing a scene. Before this I had been experiencing a strange lag with my computer, not having had suych problems before at all, which eventually led to Roll20 and Discord and whole Windows 10 going into perpetual lag as I was changing map levels in Roll20. Had to reboot. For awhile I though WIndows had started to update itself on its own or something. But no. After the reboot everything was back to normal. HOwever, for some reason this player in now listed as a player in the other game to which I did not send an invite to him.

Edited 1664916905
Gauss said: Some possibilities:  Did you copy the game? Copies can retain the players Did you hit the Invite button and send them an email?  Did you send someone else the join link and they got it from that someone else?  How did they say they got the invite?  No, I didn't copy the game nor was I in the game when this happened. I was in another game, experiencing some computer troubles (see above post), but could not have sent the link to him even by accident as I was in another game altogether. To my knowledge, nobody sent him the invite link. That other game is on hiatus and all the other players were in this game we were playing just then. He said, he just logged into to Roll20 and pressed join/enter game. He should not have but one game on the list, the one which he has joined before, as he just joined Roll20 to play in this game. Once he pressed the button, he was in the other/wrong game. Note, according to him, he didn't even get an invite (if I understood him correctly), he just suddenly was a player in that game all of a sudden and entered the game thinking that was our current game.
Gauss
Forum Champion
I have, on occasion, been sent to one of my other games when I logged into a game. But, I figured that was due to browser error reloading the last game I was in. I haven't ever seen this load someone into a game they weren't invited to. But I guess anything is possible?  Fluke bugs can happen, if it doesn't repeat I wouldn't worry about it too much. 
Gold
Forum Champion
If you are concerned that an Invite Link to your game has been sent-around or posted in public, If you "Kick" one member out of the game, it will Reset the Invite Link to a fresh link. That will stop any previous Invite Links to that game, from working. It sounds like you're sure the issue didn't come from this, but if it did, this would be a security step.