Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Map Alignment

Yeah, I know it's an old topic, but I have questions and I'm not sure if it's the correct forum. I purchased a Paizo PF1 map from roll20 that's also a map they sell on their website, and it was a very easy process to get the map to line up. Sometimes the maps for the adventure modules that are purchased directly from Paizo. What technical hurdles would I have to jump through to get Paizo maps to line up that aren't playing nicely? I have no interest in mastering photoshop, GIMP, or anything else. If it's something I can learn in an hour or less I'll do it. I realize everyone's learning curve is different.  If there is no quick fix, then would it be possible to hire someone to fix the maps? If so what skillset(s) would that person need? PS: I'm not asking to hire anyone specifically. It's a general question so that if I go to Upwork, Fiverr or some other place I know what to look for.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Getting a map to line up is typically pretty easy to do without manipulation of the image in an image editing program. There are a lot of tips here . FWIW, the method I use is the last one on the page. You don't need to go through the math rigamarole at the top. With a little practice, it only takes a minute or so, as long as the grid is mostly regular. If you get it very close, and there is a pre-printed grid on the map, don't obsess over making it perfect. Get it very close and turn the Roll20 grid opactiy to zero. Odds are your players will never notice.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ou of curiosity, is there something specific about the problem map that makes it a bear to line up?
Sorry for the late response. My issue is irregular grids, and for Pathfinder modules I can't turn the grid lines off before dropping the map into roll20. With their AP's I can turn the grid lines off, and use roll20's grids, and it's basically a nonissue.  For now I'm likely just going to avoid PF modules until they provide non-gridded maps for VTT purposes or they allow the maps in their adobe files to have grids that turn off. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you get them reasonably close, you can just turn the transparency of the Roll20 grid to zero. Few people will notice a few pixels off here and there, and fewer still will be concerned about it.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Adrian s. said: Sorry for the late response. My issue is irregular grids, and for Pathfinder modules I can't turn the grid lines off before dropping the map into roll20. With their AP's I can turn the grid lines off, and use roll20's grids, and it's basically a nonissue.  For now I'm likely just going to avoid PF modules until they provide non-gridded maps for VTT purposes or they allow the maps in their adobe files to have grids that turn off.  Could you invite me to a game that has an example irregular grid image? I'd like to  see if there is anything that can be done with it.
Gauss I just sent the invite.

Edited 1665986021
Gauss
Forum Champion
I took a look at the map. I made a copy and aligned the copy, it is aligned just fine. It took about 10 minutes. Most of that time was due to the out of phase grid lines (see below). At first I thought due to the multiple sections of maps it wouldn't align well. Some publishers of maps do not put the multiple sections on the same grid, but in this case it was fine, all the sections were on the same grid.  Some of the map image's lines are a few pixels off, but that is a consistency issue in the artwork. If the slightly out of phase grid lines bother you then turn the opacity of the Roll20 lines down to minimum. The Roll20 grid will still function, without the out of phase appearance. 
Thank Gauss.