Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Shadow Assassin Monster Content Not Showing up in my Compendium Even Though I Own the Book

Edited 1666255355
Content from 5th Edition isn't showing in my in-game roll20 Compendium even though I own the proper books.   Content this is true for: Shadow Assassin Rod of the Pact Keeper (any) Sending Stones Repro: 1) Have the "Dungeon of the Mad Mage" content in your compendium 2) Create a Roll20 game for 5th Edition 3) Enter the game 4) Search for the "Shadow Assassin" creature or any of the listed content Result: The content doesn't show up in the compendium inside a Roll20 5th edition game Expected: The content should be available to the compendium both inside and outside of game.

Edited 1666257323
Gauss
Forum Champion
You are missing a step in your list of steps. You haven't assigned the compendium book in question to your game.  After step 2, go to the settings for your game, make sure you have green listed any books you want in your game.  Edit:  I did some checking, and Shadow Assassin does come up for me in the DotMM compendium.  However, Rod of the Pact Keeper does not appear to be in the DotMM module at all, not in the compendium for it nor in the handouts.  Sending Stones is not in the DotMM compendium, only the handouts. 
I thought all the books you own are associated with your games by default?  When I looked at the games, all the books are shared with the game.  But yeah, the tools compendium in the homepage of roll20 looks up all the items just fine, but I am not seeing them in the game so I can't click and drag them into my campaign.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
It is possible to exclude individual compendium books from your game.  You might want to check the compendium sharing settings for your games just to be sure there isn't anything excluded. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
DM Raven said: I thought all the books you own are associated with your games by default?  When I looked at the games, all the books are shared with the game.  But yeah, the tools compendium in the homepage of roll20 looks up all the items just fine, but I am not seeing them in the game so I can't click and drag them into my campaign. Could you supply a screenshot of the compendium settings for your game? 
Hey all, so I think I figured out what is going on.  So I believe I have access to some of the books but I hadn't bought them?  (Which I didn't even realize was possible.)  It looks like I have access to Mad Mage and the Dungeon Master's Guide in my compendium but I hadn't purchased them (even though the books appear on my bookshelf.)  So this might have just been a misunderstanding by me of how Roll20 works.  I'll go ahead and close this in a bit and maybe purchase the books so I can have access to the assets in game.  Thanks all for the help!
Gauss
Forum Champion
DM Raven said: Hey all, so I think I figured out what is going on.  So I believe I have access to some of the books but I hadn't bought them?  (Which I didn't even realize was possible.)  It looks like I have access to Mad Mage and the Dungeon Master's Guide in my compendium but I hadn't purchased them (even though the books appear on my bookshelf.)  So this might have just been a misunderstanding by me of how Roll20 works.  I'll go ahead and close this in a bit and maybe purchase the books so I can have access to the assets in game.  Thanks all for the help! Are you a member of another game that has them purchased? That would be a good explanation for you having access to the resources in the website Compendium but not the VTT Compendium. 
Hm, that could be it.  Would I have access to those books even outside of the games?  Interesting... that would probably explain it then.  I had assumed I would only have access to those books inside the actual game, but if it adds those books to my bookshelf just for being a part of the game where my DM has purchased them, then that's what it is.  I wish it would have indicated that to me somehow so I knew that I didn't actually own the books even though they're on my bookshelf.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Out-of-game Compendium sharing was a feature that was added earlier this year. There might be value in an owned/shared flag, though...

Edited 1666459956
Gauss
Forum Champion
Yes, if you are a member of a game that has given you compendium access to a book you can use that on the website as well as the specific game that gives you access.  However, that does not carry over to other games that do not give you access.  Example:  You are a player in game Alpha Your GM in game Alpha has purchased the DMG and is sharing it.  As a result, you have access to the DMG via the website compendium. You are the GM of a game Bravo. You have not purchased the DMG.  You do not have access to the DMG inside the game Bravo. 
Alright, this is probably solved then.  I'm might be useful if the bookshelf had marks for books you owned vs books you're getting from a game you're part of.  I'll probably end up just buying those books as I'd like to have the resources in my own games.  I was under the impression that I bought all those books a while back, but when I checked my orders I didn't find them.