Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Ability to Transfer Ownership

This feature would be incredibly helpful. I've taken over as primary GM and I am the only subscriber out of the bunch, being a mentor, actually. I would really like to use more of my mentor features, but I've done a lot of GM work and some people have gotten a lot of stuff done on their character sheets, which - combined - makes manual transfer just not feasible unless I want to spend days doing it.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
That feature would incredibly useful but probably won't happen. The Devs are hardcore on no pirating and that would make things pretty easy to spread copy written material. All you would have to do is upload all the material, clone the campaign, then transfer to another person. If that started, roll20 would become flooded with pirated material.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
+1 for the idea. And I don't think pirating would be any more prevalent than it is now. There are a lot of easier ways to share material than using Roll20.
Pat S. said: That feature would incredibly useful but probably won't happen. The Devs are hardcore on no pirating and that would make things pretty easy to spread copy written material. All you would have to do is upload all the material, clone the campaign, then transfer to another person. If that started, roll20 would become flooded with pirated material. Disable transferring a cloned campaign for 30 days. Done.
Cinder Skye said: Pat S. said: That feature would incredibly useful but probably won't happen. The Devs are hardcore on no pirating and that would make things pretty easy to spread copy written material. All you would have to do is upload all the material, clone the campaign, then transfer to another person. If that started, roll20 would become flooded with pirated material. Disable transferring a cloned campaign for 30 days. Done. Clone campaigns with all your different materials in them. Wait 30 days. Profit. Unfortunately, copyright issues make this something that will never, ever happen (unless copyright laws change significantly.) -Phnord
I find it hard to believe that this is that insurmountable of an issue. The centerpiece of piracy is instant gratification, not merely saving money. You can go another way - only make the campaign transferable to someone with mentor status (who is more likely to have a stake in things, and thus, less likely to freely distribute.) If I really wanted to clone the things I've bought off the marketplace, I could with rather little effort; all it takes is Paint.NET or any image editor that's not IrfanView or Microsoft Paint, really.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It all falls on the Devs views and decision.. Everything that we mentioned is pure speculation. It is a good idea though.
Gold
Forum Champion
Pat S. said: That feature would incredibly useful but probably won't happen. The Devs are hardcore on no pirating and that would make things pretty easy to spread copy written material. Copyrighted material, my friend. It's a set of rights.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You tell that to my blasted tablet and it's nasty auto spell.
If items purchased from the Marketplace are marked as such -- and I assume each item has a unique identifying code -- then when a campaign is transferred to a new owner, couldn't the system check marketplace items on their table against the purchased items of the new game owner and replace unpurchased materials with a placeholder(so that the new owner can at least see where the removed item used to be and the information that was attached to it)? Then the new owner would have the choice to buy the removed assets themself or otherwise replace it with a new asset while retaining the attached information.
Gid
Roll20 Team
It's not just the marketplace content that has a copyright. It's also the text, characters, setting and art from the official campaign modules you buy from publishers.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kristin C. said: It's not just the marketplace content that has a copyright. It's also the text, characters, setting and art from the official campaign modules you buy from publishers. And anything you upload manually might be copyrighted by someone, even if you're not aware of it...
Gid
Roll20 Team
That too.