Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token tooltip that only GM's can see

Score + 88

Edited 1673054519
Quickly hovering over a token to see their weapon stats is very useful for a GM. This has been suggested at least three times earlier, as far as I can see. I think the issue is that  90% of players don't even use the tooltip, otherwise this would be a hugely supported feature, as it would save a ton of time. I've run countless campaigns on roll20 for nearly 10 years, and this is my most lacked feature. - Adding a checkbox so that only GM's can see the tooltip should be fairly quick and easy. Picture example below. A popup under tokens that only the GM can see. I'd be using this every session.
Yes, I agree it would be very useful and save time!  

Edited 1669797885
+1 on this. My suggestion on this was closed due to less than 10 votes... Hope this will go through since it is really useful as you do not have (or need) a character sheet all the time. A "See" permission for the Tooltip would be all that's needed to realize this...

Edited 1669865975
  TheMarkus1204 said: +1 on this. My suggestion on this was closed due to less than 10 votes... Hope this will go through since it is really useful as you do not have (or need) a character sheet all the time. A "See" permission for the Tooltip would be all that's needed to realize this... Exactly. I saw your thread and others before it. I believe many have wanted this to be a thing, but that they haven't known where to request it. The fact that you can get a popup window below a token, but can't hide it so only GM's can see it, was quite baffling to me. This would be very easy and useful to add. As a GM, this would allow you to add weapon stats or notes that pop up for tokens, so you could easily manage a lot of varied enemies if you prefer to roll real dice. Or you could easily see a list of an enemy's traits or weapons. But since it's impossible to hide it from players, it's very limited in its current iteration.

Edited 1669869792
Okay, looks to be plenty of interest for this easy-to-implement function in here. Good to see. Maybe we can reach out to people who requested this earlier, themarkus1204? Not sure how this works
Morten H. said: Okay, looks to be plenty of interest for this easy-to-implement function in here. Good to see. Maybe we can reach out to people who requested this earlier, themarkus1204? Not sure how this works At least we have 10 Votes, the minimum for this thread does not get closed as all the others before...
+1
+1 (the lack of this feature is the primary reason I don't use tooltips)
+1 I would use this So much for NPCS.
+1 please I need this feature
+1 This would be very helpful for running games, jogging my memory for NPC taglines to get into chr, traps, etc Essentially any note I make on the GM layer could go here thus cleaning up my screen. Much amaze that thought is.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This would be fantastic for notes.

Edited 1673039191
I'd love this feature. I'm cribbing character personalities from a book series, so being able to mouse over a character with a random name and go "oh, that's who she's supposed to be!" would really take things up a notch. Ideally there could be a separate tooltip textbox for players and gms (instead of a "gm only" textbox). That way we wouldn't have to choose between only having a tooltip for the gm or only having one for the players.
+1 Tried saying this the day Token Tooltips launched.  It's pretty annoying the Devs didn't think of this.  Do they even play?

Edited 1675003332
+1 Good Solution: Option to toggle existing tooltip visibility between Hidden , GM-Only , and  Public. Better Solution: Create a second GM-Tooltip and add a Show/Hidden toggle.  Only the GM can ever see this and differentiate the text in some way (Italicize or have the background color a very light yellow or tan color).  When the visibility for both are on, stack the tooltip boxes. -Will
@Will M. Yes, that better solution would be terrific!
Even an option to show the first 140 characters from the GMNotes would be nice.
+1 We really need tooltips for dm
+1 please it would be so helpful
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Somehow the tooltip feature slipped quietly under the radar for me when it was released in late 2021. This is incredibly useful. Thanks for making this post about improving it! Going to be using this all the time now. My take would be to allow formatting to tooltips.
+1 to this tooltip for GMs only. It would really help with tracking spell DCs and characteristics for my NPCs
+1 This would be very useful. I gave up using tooltips as players can reveal them even on tokens obscured by Fog of War/DL when on the Token Layer.
+! I'd love to see this feature. I just discovered Tooltips, but their usefulness is limited by the lack of a "GM Only" option.
Absolutely +1 ! Would make my life so much easier, instead of having pages in notebooks or opening the creature bio a million times
Pantoufle
Pro
Sheet Author
Translator
Great idea. It would be nice too to jave the option to display the tooltip even if rhe token is on thz gm layer for those gm only tooltips. (Like description of rooms on these numbered tokens ;) )
I would like to see this in the future, the "GM ONLY" option would be amazing for quick stats and counting rounds of rage.
Any movement on this?  Seems like an almost essential feature for GMs.
Would really love to see this implemented. I'd like to put monster resistances/immunities in the tool tips for quick reminders that the players can't see.
Honestly I'm surprised this is not already an option! This would be so useful. definitely +1 on this