Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is there something wrong with the Charactermancer on D&D5e?

When several of my players went up a level today, we found that the Charactermancer had sent one person's character up two levels not one, and had given the 7th level character (which should have been 6th) an impossible 93 hit points. A second character hadn't been allowed enough hit points and was only on 20 when I would have expected around 35. There were also issues with spells. Is anyone else having these problems or is it me/my players?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Could you supply more information? Starting setup? Steps to reproduce?  What are the issues with spells?

Edited 1670790220
In my game the charactermancer Level up-icon is showing up on all character sheets regardless of XP. It doesn't go away if you lower the XP. If you level up the icon is still there. Can explain some of the problems described.

Edited 1670802088
Gauss said: Could you supply more information? Starting setup? Steps to reproduce?  What are the issues with spells? (1)  The first problem is in my " Princes of the Apocalypse " game set up from the one I bought from Roll 20, so it's the standard game as supplied.  I set up all the characters in the game using the Charactermancer (or the players did), and until now there has been no problem with them. Or no real problem, nothing I couldn't manage as GM. This time Eldritch Knight and Path of the Beast Barbarian went up a level. This is post the move of the Charactermancer to the new position. Barbarian had no problems except that his hit points disappeared, but the Eldritch Knight player tried to use the Charactermancer (and bearing in mind that it wasn't me doing this so I have no idea what she actually did) ended up going up two levels when she should have had only one, and jumped to seventh level when she should have been sixth. Plus, she somehow managed to get 93 hit points, which is impossible at either sixth or seventh level given her stats. That took some unpicking. The College of Swords Bard level 5 has only 23 hit points, but I'm not sure if he's been rolling hit points or taking averages. If he's been taking averages (which is what I advise players to do) he seems to have too few. (2)  In my " Tomb of Annihilation " game, one of my players, the Circle of the Land Druid level 4 had an issue with spells not working properly. When he cast "Produce Flame", the information for "Cure Wounds" would appear in the chat. I resolved that myself by deleting the spells and dragging them back onto the character sheet from the compendium. So happy days, but I hope it doesn't happen again. The Charactermancer really messed up the Battlemaster Fighter, removed all his hit points (something which keeps on happening on other characters, too) and wouldn't complete properly. We had to uplift him manually. The other issue with spells is that the Charactermancer seems to decide how many spells a character gets when they level up randomly. Sometimes too many (when you check the book) and often too few. (3) I also updated to the latest Dynamic Lighting, and that caused all my maps to go black for all the players on both games, and I had to reverse the process. That was a pain and I wondered if it was because both "Princes" and "Tomb" had been written with a previous Dynamic Lighting in mind.
Cannons&Rum said: In my game the charactermancer Level up-icon is showing up on all character sheets regardless of XP. It doesn't go away if you lower the XP. If you level up the icon is still there. Can explain some of the problems described. This has been reported on another thread, and I know Roll 20 are looking into it.  I had no problems with the Level Up Icon being where it was, and showing up only when the character has reached the level up XP, though would quite like it to be red as that's a bit more obvious when you're trying to explain to a player where it is.

Edited 1670804499
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Without standing over someone's shoulder and watching, it's very hard to troubleshoot what might have gone wrong. The only thing I can say has any likelihood is that it's very easy to accidentally go up two levels if you aren't paying attention. Charactermancer LevelUp assumes you are adding a level to your current class and pre-populates that field. If you don't realize that, it's very easy to click the up button and accidentally add to levels. That being said, although there are a few instances, mostly regarding spell choice, where Cmancer stumbles, I've generally had few problems with it. As for the Cmancer icon appearing where it appears, it's a Catch-22. The old way was difficult for folks using milestone, since it would never appear on the front page (I have often had to remind players of where the button is). Perhaps a toggle between milestone and xp advancement would help, but I'm in the camp that people just need some adjustment time.
What about the disappearing hit points issue? What could be happening there? Plus the problem with the new Dynamic Lighting making the maps go black?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Again, without the ability to watch every step of the level up process and without repo steps, it's pretty hard to diagnose what might have gone awry. As for the DL issue, that should probably be its own thread, with screenshots of settings for pages and tokens. "It went black" is nearly impossible to diagnose. However, here is a checklist to go through: Here's a "why can't my players see anything?" checklist. The important thing is to verify . Don't assume. The use of a  Dummy Account  can help.  This list is written with GMs in mind, but can help players work through issues with their GM. The token is on the VTT It is assigned to the character The player has control over the character The token is on the Token/Object layer It is not blocked off by DL lines from seeing the immediate surroundings Make sure the player is looking at their token's immediate area. Shift-Click and hold on the token to pull the player's view to that area. If Fog of War is being used, that the area the token is in has been cleared The player has not been Split from the Party (Check the Help Center if this is unfamiliar) If Dynamic Lighting of any kind is being used: The token has sight turned on The token has a light source, or Nightvision (UDL) or personal light (LDL) In UDL it may be necessary to move the token one square to get everything working, or in extreme cases, refresh the (user's) page. Can you see a rotating cube in this URL ? If not, the browser needs to be WebGL compatible (99%+ are).
I would like to weigh in on the disappearing hit points. I am running Curse of Strahd using the Roll20 5e character sheet and no charactermancer. In fact, I encourage my players not to use that due to past issues. However, the hit points do randomly disappear/revert to previous levels. I started keeping a pinned message in a discord server with their most recent hit points to make fixing this quicker, but that has been an issue I've encountered even without the charactermancer and so it might be a bigger bug than originally thought.
keithcurtis said: As for the DL issue, that should probably be its own thread, with screenshots of settings for pages and tokens. "It went black" is nearly impossible to diagnose. However, here is a checklist to go through: Can you see a rotating cube in this URL ? If not, the browser needs to be WebGL compatible (99%+ are). I knew about those when you have a character token on the map, but the problem also spread to the player map on " Tomb of Annihilation " on which there are no player tokens to move or check. That map consists of a background, and a lot of coloured hexes covering areas the characters haven't been, and what happened was that either they could see through the hexes (which shouldn't happen) or they could see nothing at all. I tried all the options you list and ended up reversing the updated DL in order to resolve the issue. Yes, I can see a rotating cube. I would have been surprised if I couldn't as I use Chrome for Roll 20. Just a little mad said: I would like to weigh in on the disappearing hit points.  I'm glad in a way it's not just me and my players who are having this issue. It was beginning to feel personal to us.

Edited 1670889534
We just noticed that leveling problem today.&nbsp; My first player has 400xp for their D&amp;D 5e Character and the Charactermancer is allowing them to level up without limit. Testing on a dummy account I found this is the case with all the characters and I could just keep leveling forever. Something broke here again in R20 since our last game.&nbsp; Despite XP I see all players are getting the ability to level up endlessly now: <a href="https://gyazo.com/a72a49e29c590074e7eb3633798ee53c" rel="nofollow">https://gyazo.com/a72a49e29c590074e7eb3633798ee53c</a>

Edited 1670889467
Gauss
Forum Champion
Argus Host said: We just noticed this problem today.&nbsp; My first player has 400xp for their D&amp;D 5e Character and the Charactermancer is allowing them to level up without limit. Testing on a dummy account I found this is the case with all the characters and I could just keep leveling forever. Something broke here again in R20 since our last game.&nbsp; Despite XP I see all players are getting the ability to level up endlessly now: <a href="https://gyazo.com/a72a49e29c590074e7eb3633798ee53c" rel="nofollow">https://gyazo.com/a72a49e29c590074e7eb3633798ee53c</a> Players could always level up without constraint. The problem now is that the button for the Charactermancer is now 'in your face' compared to the back of the sheet where you had to go find it. The new button is no different than the button in the settings. It is just always visible so people "must push the red button". I have borrowed a page from a user in another thread, if a player levels up inappropriately (ie: pushed the red button and level up) a Demon Lord with a 40 initiative and surprise will show up and take care of the problem. To date, no player has pushed it inappropriately in my 3 campaigns. :)
Well I get that of course hehe - it's not that people can't manually level, my comment was more about that prior to today when there was enough XP the charactermancer leveling up option/symbol/icon would appear and allow the level up feature and players could advance. The icon to level up would then be gone if there was not enough xp for the next level.&nbsp; Now the icon is there forever - so if you are saying this is a 'new feature' then disregard.&nbsp; For my less technically inclined players many leveled themselves by mistake because of this. Nothing nefarious about it just mistakes.&nbsp; &nbsp; Also the icon to level was always previous beside the XP portion of the sheet, now it's next to the player name/class/level and in red.&nbsp; So I felt like perhaps when they made this change, it also eliminated the fact the auto-level option would go away until you had enough XP again.

Edited 1670890736
Gauss
Forum Champion
Argus Host said: Well I get that of course hehe - it's not that people can't manually level, my comment was more about that prior to today when there was enough XP the charactermancer leveling up option/symbol/icon would appear and allow the level up feature and players could advance. The icon to level up would then be gone if there was not enough xp for the next level.&nbsp; Now the icon is there forever - so if you are saying this is a 'new feature' then disregard.&nbsp; For my less technically inclined players many leveled themselves by mistake because of this. Nothing nefarious about it just mistakes.&nbsp; &nbsp; Also the icon to level was always previous beside the XP portion of the sheet, now it's next to the player name/class/level and in red.&nbsp; So I felt like perhaps when they made this change, it also eliminated the fact the auto-level option would go away until you had enough XP again. My groups typically don't use the charactermancer and we don't typically use exp so&nbsp; I didn't remember that functionality but I went to Dev and tested, yup, you are right. A button appeared when you reached the proper exp. Roll20 lost functionality with the new button.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
On the converse, for people who used milestones, the button was never available on the main tab. It's more of a sideways step than forward or backward.
This. So much this! Argus Host said: ...&nbsp; For my less technically inclined players many leveled themselves by mistake because of this. Nothing nefarious about it just mistakes.&nbsp; &nbsp; Also, the disappearance of the icon that lets the player know their character can level up is going to be sorely missed. The level-up icon placement&nbsp; REALLY &nbsp;needs a toggle, or maybe two checkboxes that the GM can set to determine which icon appears: the "Always On" icon near the character name or the "Time to Level Up" icon near the XP field.