Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Charactermancer - No Roll for stats ?

When I try to create stats, it gives my only the custom option... I wanted to use the roll for stats, so players could not fudge stats. Does anyone know how to turn this on? Is this a feature I do not own? Or am I missing content ( it shouldn't because I bought the Essentials Kit) can someone please help me get back on track?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi DM Corvus! This is actually the necessary behavior. Unless one has purchased the PHB, Roll20 (and other vendors) can legally only include material in the SRD, the free rule subset provided by WotC. Believe it or not, rolling for ability scores is not a rule found in the SRD. As such, you will need to roll dice in the chat or elsewhere and record those results however you wish.
Hey Keithcuritis, Thank you for informing me. I appreciate you taking the time, I can rest easier now. I assume the 5e PHB provides the broadest D&D content artwork and features however is there any additional advantages to owning the DM guide on Roll20? If you're not at liberty to speak freely I understand.  All the best,
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
No worries. :D It's been a while since I posted this, but it's good to clarify every once in a while. I am not an employee of Roll20 and can pretty much say what I wish within the constraints of any other user: the Code of Conduct. I do conversion work on contract for Roll20, converting modules and books, so the only additional constraints I have on what I post are those typical to any NDA. I.e. I cannot provide privileged information on upcoming modules or features related to them for instance. As for the books you mention. Here are my thoughts: PHB: Probably the best single purchase. Gets you all the base races, classes and spells necessary for the core game. DMG: There was a huge clamor for this, and it came out very late in the conversion cycle for WotC books. I personally don't feel it has a tremendous value, outside of magic items. I got along fine without it for years. Monster Manual: Second most valued single purchase. Having all of the base monsters with artwork and lore is a huge timesaver. After that, it's pretty much a toss up and the decisions of what to buy are dependent on what content you need. Xanathar's Guide, Mordenkainen's Monster of the Multiverse, etc, in fact anything with a large compendium content is good. And yeah, I was shocked to find out that dice rolling was not in the SRD. I'm not sure why WotC felt it important to leave out.
Thanks again for all the knowledge. Now that you mention it, I believe I have seen your avatar amongst the marketplace.  Unfortunately for me, they're probably going to get me on the PHB. I just wish I hadnt won 2 of them on ebay last week, "for a steal"! lol  Cheers again
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Fortunately, the PHB was permanently price dropped a few years ago. I don't think you'll regret it.