Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Uploading animated battlemaps

Why does this almost never work? That "may take a few minutes" just stays there forever. This is a 4MB file, with a gigabit connection, it should not be inside a hamster wheel.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I don't use animations, but my understanding is this: You aren't (just) uploading a file.  You are uploading a file, it is being "optimized"/converted for use on the vtt, and possibly multiple sizes of it are being generated (full size, half, thumbnail).  From what I have seen pass the forums, this may take multiple hours for some animations, so be sure you have time to just leave that browser tab running while it does its thing...
Kraynic said: I don't use animations, but my understanding is this: You aren't (just) uploading a file.  You are uploading a file, it is being "optimized"/converted for use on the vtt, and possibly multiple sizes of it are being generated (full size, half, thumbnail).  From what I have seen pass the forums, this may take multiple hours for some animations, so be sure you have time to just leave that browser tab running while it does its thing... I have tried this even overnight...and nadda. It works maybe 10% of the time.
I too am struggling with uploading animations. When you look at up and coming VTTs like Alchemy that can layer multiple animations within one map, the set up from Roll20 is extremely frustrating. Even small WebM animations often fail to upload/ convert and reliably work. Seeing as the marketplace has an increasing number of ‘animated’ assets available that often fail to animate or load -  it would be nice to see some response from Roll20 on this subject and an explanation of what is being done to try and improve functionality with animations. Please Roll 20? 
Being able to load these animated files is the most important feature for me on Roll20.  The size allowance was increased to 20mb for Pro users, but the feature does not work.
Here is an another example. This animated map uploaded for 24-hours (yes I timed it) and never appeared. Yet here it is in my Recent Uploads days later. If I try drag it onto a blank page? Nothing happens. .
Bumping this in hopes of some official response.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Grand DM! If you are looking for an official response, your best bet is a  Help Center Request . It's mostly community help on the forums. Though animation has been out long enough, that unless Roll20 has said something recent to the effect, it's probably not going to change soon. Still, there is reason to hope. The new tech they are using for doors and windows is supposed to open up a whole host of possibilities, like finally getting a new layer. Maybe an animation upgrade can come of it.