Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

System Recommendations: More RP less Number Crunch?

Gid
Roll20 Team
Due to a lack of means of getting all my buds together on a regular basis, I'm an infrequent tabletop player at best. I'd say I'm still pretty new when it comes to tabletop gaming in general. Most of my RPing I've done in the past have either been LARPs or freeform roleplaying within message boards/MMOs/and mIRC. My buds play a lot of Pathfinder. I'm really jonesing to GM, but...man, reading the specifics about the number crunching just bores me to tears. Character creation in this system I also find really tedious. I got a level 0 Paizo adventure, Hollow's Last Hope, to cut my teeth on. I'm hoping GMing a sample adventure might serve as a trial by fire to pick up a knack for Pathfinder. I'm equally rusty at PLAYING Pathfinder, let alone GameMastering the system. (Ugh, I'm hoping Roll20 allows me to have a more consistent game) I have no problem with actual GameMastering theory presented in Paizo's GM guide, but I'm hankering for a system that's more conducive to RP and less about dungeon crawling. I got the Dresden Files(♥) F.A.T.E. Rulebook, but I haven't really taken a good gander at it - I haven't felt like playing an urban game lately. I'm not sure how the Dresdenverse's F.A.T.E. system can be contorted for other world settings. What other systems would you guys and girls recommend?
If you want to play fantasy, there are a lot of more simple (or less crunchy) systems out there. I would recommend Dragon Warriors, but you could try Savage Worlds, ZeFRS, wathever... But, having more RP has nothing to do with the rules you use. It depends only on the players and the way you are gamemastering. So-called narrative rules, like Fate, just replace roleplaying with story-bending, they won't add RP by themselves.
Paranoia, currently published by Mongoose, is an excellent system that relies almost exclusively on good roleplay to drive the campaign forward. The players are all stuck in Alpha Complex, something like a mix between a futuristic fallout shelter and a labyrinthine office. The so-called Troubleshooters are routinely called upon as a group by psychopathic Friend Computer to accomplish life-threatening tasks while they each also try to complete their own traitorous goals set for them by secret societies they have pledged loyalty to. Backstabbery and creative corpse disposal are the rules of the day, and the combat system is so fast that larger groups of players can be included in a campaign without slowing down the action. When loud accusations about who exactly is screwing over who start flying, the Troubleshooters have access to high tech weaponry and mutant powers to silence their teammates. The game is excellent fun and its format works particularly well for episodic one-off nights of gaming.
Well, there are several other FATE games out there besides "The Dresden Files". There is "Spirit of the Century" for a bit of twenties and thirties pulp and serial-movie adventure, "Legends of Anglerre" for fantasy, "Bulldogs", "Diaspora" and "Starblazers Adventures" for sci-fi "Agents of S.W.I.N.G." for spy-fi. It doesn't take much to adapt "Spirit of the Century" for adventures on Barsoom, twentieth-century weird sci-fi and horror, or Girl-Genius steampunk. I suppose that it is probably partly because FATE is so simple and easy to adapt that we are seeing so many differ settings of FATE show up. So if you like Aspects and Fate Points you aren't at all stuck in the Dresdenverse. I'm going to echo what Patrick Crusiau said above. Getting rid of detailed or complicated rules won't by itself make freeform roleplaying appear out of nowhere, and for that matter you can very easily conduct story-telling jam sessions with a detailed and number-heavy game system as your safety net for emergencies. I've done that for decades. I suggest that what you want is, as you hinted, to come out of the dungeon-crawling fantasy genre. There are less opportunities for role-playing where the conflict is open and violent, and players are naturally more inclined to try storyline stuff and take a chance on character over pragmatism where the danger is less immediate and where killing all your opponents is not so easy to get away with. Players tend to be drawn to things they know about and methods that have reliable support from the rules. I suggest that you look for a game that has rules for sneaking and guarding, infiltrating and patrolling, evasion, pursuit, deceit and detecting lies, dissimulation, acting, seduction, persuading, intimidating etc. etc. that are at about the same level of complexity and reliability as combat. The easiest way to draw PCs into any sort of activity is to give the players a feeling that it is about as reliable as combat. That could mean vague and simple rules for everything, but it could also mean detailed and complicated rules for everything. When the chips are down, players turn to where they know the rules. Another thing that I suggest is to pick a genre of adventure fiction, TV, or film that your players are familiar with and that gives them a clear idea of the wide range of possible actions, of character types, and of stock situations. I like Westerns, "hard-boiled" detective stories, and the "James Bond" style of highly-romanticised spy story as "weaning campaigns" to easy dungeon-crawlers into roleplaying. But if your players are "Star Trek" fans, run "Star Trek".
Gid
Roll20 Team
I feel I need to course correct where this thread is going. The players I will be playing with have a pretty long LARP/Tabletop career. *I'm* the one who does not. These guys know how to roleplay. This is NOT a situation of my asking for roleplay to magically appear from a group of players who only know how to dungeon crawl. As the new kid in my group of friends, I'm really struggling with getting my head around Pathfinder. We don't play regularly enough for me to really understand the game as a player. On top of that I'm not a number cruncher. I'm looking for other systems that have rules that aren't number intensive for my own sake so I can actually start GMing.
(If you want more info on any of these, just ask) Warrior, Rogue, Mage is a nice, lightweight fantasy game. Barbarians Versus is a light game about Barbarians fighting [something] for honor and treasure! [Something] could be aliens, it could be zombies, it could be whatever enemy you'd like it to be. Barbarians are tough, and they will fight whatever you throw at them. If you're open to trying a less traditional game, In a Wicked Age is an interesting take on the fantasy genre (although it would support other genres with a little hacking pretty easily). Rather than create one, epic story, as Pathfinder would, In a Wicked Age ends up creating a short story anthology. There is basically one mechanic to learn. 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars is a wonderful game about over the top sci-fi action, and finding out who you are in the midst of battle. Each character only has two skills: fighting ability and non-fighting ability. Weapons are rated not in how much damage they do, or how much ammo they have, but rather, in how many kills they get (e.g. d6, d8, d100) each time they're fired. So suit up, grab your weapon, and kill everything that might threaten humanity. Don't Rest Your Head is a game about madness and power. The author's description: "Don’t Rest Your Head is a sleek, dangerous little game, where your players are all insomniac protagonists with superpowers, fighting — and using — exhaustion and madness to stay alive, and awake for just one more night, in a reality gone way wrong called the Mad City. It features its own system, and is contained entirely within one book." I've more suggestions, but this will do for now, I think.
Savage Worlds is a versatile system designed to have minimal book keeping. Any old version of D&D (I prefer the original Basic D&D but there are loads of free retroclones out there) or modernized versions of it (like Dragon Age RPG) are great for fast fun. For something less traditional I'd suggest The Shadow of Yesterday (which is sorta based on Fudge/FATE) or something specialized like Poison'd which is a gritty and fun pirate rpg, Lady Blackbird which is a free game and a setting, or Death School (by Bully Pulpit Games) which is a 80s action movie and similar to Lady Blackbird.
Okay then. I still think that you are right about getting out to the dungeon. But with a fresh view of the situation now I advise that the thing is to pick a genre that you really like. Your enthusiasm for the material is likely to be the thing that makes the difference as to whether your game fizzes or fizzles. There are reasonably slick and simple games available for most popular genres.
Kristin, check out the Pathfinder Beginner Box: <a href="http://paizo.com/beginnerbox" rel="nofollow">http://paizo.com/beginnerbox</a> It's a streamlined version of Pathfinder that omits a lot of the crunchier rules in the full Pathfinder Core Rulebook. You can get a .pdf version of it for $10. It supports play up to level 5, and you can get unofficial conversions of many of the omitted classes here: <a href="http://edowarsblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/another-pfbb-correction/" rel="nofollow">http://edowarsblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/another-pfbb-correction/</a>
I understand better what you are after. I would still recommend Dragon Warriors <a href="http://www.rpgnow.com/product/90926/Dragon-Warriors" rel="nofollow">http://www.rpgnow.com/product/90926/Dragon-Warriors</a> or Legend from Dark City Games (free) <a href="http://www.darkcitygames.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.darkcitygames.com/</a>
Castles & Crusades is pretty rules light. <a href="http://www.trolllord.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.trolllord.com/</a>
I second the use of Savage Worlds. It's designed around fast play but a satisfying amount of crunch. It allows for some really satisfying elements like large combats (easy to manage hordes of NPCs), focus on dramatic rolls (no more auto-success or autofail based on character abilities), and a good variety in combat actions with taunt, intimidate, and tricks.