Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Compendium conversion : Line breaks in compendium attributes

Jiboux
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Hello all and happy new year, This is a question for the compendium curators out there. I am very very close to release the first expansion of the compendium I am working on, but found out something that makes for very very ugly layouts, almost unreadable. In all the pages that have Attributes, when there are long paragraphs of texts (for example descriptions of a spell), it appears that any line break is ignored by the display, making a continuous paragraph which is very ugly to read. I have made several tries adding "special characters" like /n \n \\n <br> ... but none of them is actually interpreted as a line break (and even the <br> is suppressed by the system, while the others are just displayed as plain text). When I look at the reference of the D&D compendium I can see that they have the same problem in the Attribute part of the compendium, but they seem to have systematically copied the description to the page (which roll20 support had already confirmed me was a manual operation). Any suggestion on how to have a nicer display ? Is it possible to automatically copy the Attribute to the Page ? Is there a way to format the Attribute ? I have above one thousand page, so don't think for one second about copying them manually. Thanks to all
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I would recommend creating a book template that is displayed instead of the raw attributes. This can then be styled similar to a roll template.
Jiboux
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Hello Scott, By book template do you mean the HTML specific to each category in HTML format and allows to display the attributes ? This is what I am using, but somehow, it strips any linebreak that is in the attribute.
Jiboux
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
But you gave me in fact the solution... It seems that the offender was the white-space property, and that with a white-space: pre-line i am able to get what I wanted... I have now to rework some of the stuff, but it looks like I have my solution.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yep, that's what I meant. Also, I would recommend pre-wrap for the whitespace value.