Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Stuck on loading with iPad

Plus user here.  I use my kid’s laptop facing me to DM, and my iPad Pro 12.9 facing the party (logged in to my account as player) to show the party the map. SOMEtimes the iPad loads no problem. But many times it cycles on the loading messages endlessly. I use Chrome, but have also tried Firefox and Edge to try and get this issue resolved and have read nigh every forum post and tried nigh everything suggested at this point. The workaround I have found is: I go to the map level on my laptop and copy that layer and paste onto a new map page without all the fancy pre-loaded baddies and lighting etc. Then it loads on the iPad, but of course this defeats the purpose of buying the Roll20 pre-prepped modules in the first place. Would love this issue to finally be fixed as it seems from the forums to have been going on a long long time. It has been years of frustration for me at this point and about ready to stop paying for the Roll 20 versions of modules since it seems a waste of my money and no time/work saved on game prep.
From what I can remember when testing the problem on my IPad Pro, the issue seems to be linked to the Dynamic Lighting, maps with it activated don't load, maps without it will load.  While I don't use modules you might be able to go into the page settings for the map in question, turn off Dynamic Lighting and just use Fog of War to reveal the parts you want to reveal.  Not ideal, but might be better than having to copy paste everything.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can try this from the Help Center: Safari* is not a supported browser for Roll20 as it does not support dynamic lighting, causing poor stability and functionality.  We highly recommend switching to Firefox or Chrome. However, if you are experiencing a black screen issue on your Safari browser, disable WebGL via Metal in experimental features. To do so, go to Preferences > Advanced and tick "show Develop menu in menu bar." Then go to Develop > Experimental Features and uncheck "WebGL via Metal." This may reduce some of the pain. *Note that no matter what they are called or look like, all iOS browsers are really Safari/WebKit.