Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Middle mouse button panning no longer works on maps...

As the title says, using middle mouse button click no longer works on maps, I have to click-and-drag with right button to move around the map. The scroll wheel zoom still works, but the clicking to allow for panning doesn't.
Can confirm that I'm also encountering this issue as of today.
Bro this was working this morning so why did it suddenly change now!?
Same thing for me hope this is fixed by friday moving around the map is so bad now.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I think the issue is known and being investigated. Until then, panning with the right click still works.
What happens if you try the right mouse button? Kasper N. said: As the title says, using middle mouse button click no longer works on maps, I have to click-and-drag with right button to move around the map. The scroll wheel zoom still works, but the clicking to allow for panning doesn't.
It's literally in the second part of the first sentence ;) TheMarkus1204 said: What happens if you try the right mouse button? Kasper N. said: As the title says, using middle mouse button click no longer works on maps, I have to click-and-drag with right button to move around the map . The scroll wheel zoom still works, but the clicking to allow for panning doesn't.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Until this is resolved (I know it's being investigated), is there a reason (other than muscle memory) why the right click is an unacceptable workaround? I had honestly forgotten middle-click was an option.
Besides convenience, habit and preference, there's nothing wrong with right-click-drag per se. You can still use it, it's just incredibly annoying for me personally, so wanted to draw attention to it in case it had gone unnoticed. :D keithcurtis said: Until this is resolved (I know it's being investigated), is there a reason (other than muscle memory) why the right click is an unacceptable workaround? I had honestly forgotten middle-click was an option.

Edited 1669949462
The reason I don't prefer the right click to move around is because it is way faster feeling and harder to precisely move. I also cant use the right mouse button to move around the map while I am making dynamic light.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Smitty said:  I also cant use the right mouse button to move around the map while I am making dynamic light. Oh, that's a very good reason. I'll have to train my fingers to do this once the issue is resolved.
keithcurtis said: Smitty said:  I also cant use the right mouse button to move around the map while I am making dynamic light. Oh, that's a very good reason. I'll have to train my fingers to do this once the issue is resolved. Start using it to scroll on websites ;) Hold down scroll-wheel button for temporary scrolling (or scroll/pan on Roll20 maps), click it once to toggle the function on/off :D
This is annoying for me too. For large distances I'm having to continually move the mouse back between right-mouse drags because I can only drag as far as the window is wide; middle-mouse pan was much more convenient. Hope it's fixed soon.
Can confirm encountering the same problem. Would prefer original functionality back, much for same reasons as others posted.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Kasper N. said: keithcurtis said: Smitty said:  I also cant use the right mouse button to move around the map while I am making dynamic light. Oh, that's a very good reason. I'll have to train my fingers to do this once the issue is resolved. Start using it to scroll on websites ;) Hold down scroll-wheel button for temporary scrolling (or scroll/pan on Roll20 maps), click it once to toggle the function on/off :D I wonder if that was intended.  I have always used shift + scroll for that.
Just confirming that I'm seeing the same issue (Firefox in Windows). Sometimes it works if I middle click near the edge of the canvas, but never when I middle-click in the middle.

Edited 1670600598
I can't even right click pan when using some tools which I think would have worked before. Such as using the reveal tool, right clicking just shows a menu instead of panning.  Maybe I also used middle click in these cases and maybe it stands out because the middle click stopped working?
Smitty said: The reason I don't prefer the right click to move around is because it is way faster feeling and harder to precisely move. I also cant use the right mouse button to move around the map while I am making dynamic light. This is the issue for me as well.  I absolutely rely on that when I am setting up dynamic lighting.
Any update? This is a pretty frustrating problem so i have been holding off building a lot of maps.
I've been having the same issue, this is really problematic when I'm working with dynamic lighting or other special tools, as right-click scrolling doesn't work there.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I just hold shift and scroll to go right/left on the map.  Works just fine while drawing lines.
Kraynic said: I just hold shift and scroll to go right/left on the map.  Works just fine while drawing lines. While it is a workaround, it doesn't work if you have Zoom set as scroll wheel, you will then need to hold both Shift and Control. In any case, it is clunky at best for those of us who rely on the scroll wheel's normal functionality of panning/scroll with a mere click or hold for everyday tasks. It is honestly astonishing that we haven't heard any feedback from the developers on this issue after all this time, since it is a core functionality that has been broken for more than a week now.
Jumping in to say that I would also very much like this issue to be resolved. Scroll wheel clicking is my go-to way of navigating maps, it's pretty annoying to have to go against muscle memory and right click to pan. If it helps to pinpoint the issue, middle-click to scroll still works if I start outside of the map, but if I try to do that while hovering over a map, it does not work.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've never used the middle click, but now that I hear how well it solves the problem of lost panning while doing DL, I want it.
Here to add to the Chorus. They've broken this before, and it seems they've broken it again. *sigh*
Are they even aware this is broken? It would be nice with any sort of confirmation that this is a known issue by them, and it's being looked at, if not an ETA on a fix.
Ashton
Forum Champion
Compendium Curator
Hey folks! Apologies on the delay for this fix and the impact on your games—it's tied into a few things we're working on at the moment. Rest assured that we're aware of it and hope to have a solution soon.
Ashton said: Hey folks! Apologies on the delay for this fix and the impact on your games—it's tied into a few things we're working on at the moment. Rest assured that we're aware of it and hope to have a solution soon. Why is rolling back a broken update not an option anymore?
Ashton said: Hey folks! Apologies on the delay for this fix and the impact on your games—it's tied into a few things we're working on at the moment. Rest assured that we're aware of it and hope to have a solution soon. Thanks for the update! Good to know it's being looked at, it makes me able to not be as annoyed with it. The Foegetter said: Why is rolling back a broken update not an option anymore? I think it's a matter of how much broke vs. how much was fixed, and the impact, timetable, and complications involved in fixing what was broken. Since we technically can still scroll/pan the map, my theory is that the update was more important than a "minor" broken function, that will slightly inconvene a small subset of users for a short amount of time. Now that we actually have confirmation that this is a known issue, and it's being looked at, I'm confident they're going to fix it soon.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
AFAIK, historically, rollbacks have only been performed when something is catastrophically broken, or is causing the potential for serious data corruption.
Domigorgon
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Middle-mouse panning was faster and more intuitive for me, after using the thing for 2 years, to have it suddenly gone is pretty annoying. Also, right-click panning is stuttery, and if you should accidentaly veer off the map, it breaks and thinks the right button is still pressed, and you can't get back to the map. At least I have this problem. Also, could be related as I've noticed this with the last update: when I copy-paste a token, the token is deposited on the clicked location (let's say somewhere in the upper right corner of the map), but my view automatically pans to the bottom left of the map for some reason.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Domigorgon said: Middle-mouse panning was faster and more intuitive for me, after using the thing for 2 years, to have it suddenly gone is pretty annoying. Also, right-click panning is stuttery, and if you should accidentaly veer off the map, it breaks and thinks the right button is still pressed, and you can't get back to the map. At least I have this problem. Also, could be related as I've noticed this with the last update: when I copy-paste a token, the token is deposited on the clicked location (let's say somewhere in the upper right corner of the map), but my view automatically pans to the bottom left of the map for some reason. I've never used middle-mouse panning, but it sounds like the perfect solution to the difficulty of panning while using the drawing tool. I haven't encountered the other issues you noted That last one sounds very strange. And annoying.
Domigorgon said: Also, could be related as I've noticed this with the last update: when I copy-paste a token, the token is deposited on the clicked location (let's say somewhere in the upper right corner of the map), but my view automatically pans to the bottom left of the map for some reason. Yeah I've noticed this issue as well. It's not a constant thing, as sometimes it does it, and sometimes not. Should've probably made a second bug report on it, but it didn't even occur to me that the two might not be connected.

Edited 1671547781
Mostly just bumping this thread because the original issue is still at large. Noticed since I have to keep pressing shift to side-scroll on maps with this bug, if you press/release shift when you've a search for something in the art library your search refreshes for some reason like you changed something in the query - even though you didn't actually change anything. Kind of annoying since you can end up having to re-find stuff if you're moving about the map. Edit: Also works with CTRL and ALT keys, so not exclusive to the shift key.

Edited 1671561579
Gauss
Forum Champion
Dio G. said: Mostly just bumping this thread because the original issue is still at large. Noticed since I have to keep pressing shift to side-scroll on maps with this bug, if you press/release shift when you've a search for something in the art library your search refreshes for some reason like you changed something in the query - even though you didn't actually change anything. Kind of annoying since you can end up having to re-find stuff if you're moving about the map. Edit: Also works with CTRL and ALT keys, so not exclusive to the shift key. Workaround: After you complete the search click off of the search field, but still on that tab, it will stop repeating the search. 

Edited 1671779055
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Although there are apparently still some kinks to be worked out, middle-click panning has been restored per today's Changelog. For those who don't see any middle click panning behavior at all (I didn't in Chrome), there have been reports about similar behavior for Chrome intercepting middle clicks in the past. If you click on the site settings for Roll20 in Chrome and "Allow Pop-ups" this can alleviate some symptoms.
There is a suggestion in the Suggestions Forum mentioning this Re Implementation and that it does NOT work as it did before... Maybe you have a solution for this Keith... It works right now just as Panning with right click... keithcurtis said: Although there are apparently still some kinks to be worked out, middle-click panning has been restored per today's Changelog. For those who don't see any middle click panning behavior at all (I didn't in Chrome), there have been reports about similar behavior for Chrome intercepting middle clicks in the past. If you click on the site settings for Roll20 in Chrome and "Allow Pop-ups" this can alleviate some symptoms.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I think that's what it is at the moment. I think that right click panning behavior was assigned also to the middle click button, rather than middle click panning being restored. I made a report on it, and I think Gauss might have as well. Devs are aware, but this close to the holidays, they might be a bit short handed. That tip I just posted was for people who didn't see middle click panning at all.
Yeah they basically "copied" the function of right-click panning onto the middle mouse button. It's ok for now, but I do sorely miss the original function. I have patience though, as I know they'll figure it out eventually.
I'm a Firefox user personally, can confirm we've got panning on middle clicks on the select tool. It's something, but the old system was better. Already found an issue however; panning with middle-clicks doesn't work when using the draw tool. Meaning it's still a pain to draw larger shapes.
The fix applied is not the fix we were looking for, Roll20. 
Dio G. said: I'm a Firefox user personally, can confirm we've got panning on middle clicks on the select tool. It's something, but the old system was better. Already found an issue however; panning with middle-clicks doesn't work when using the draw tool. Meaning it's still a pain to draw larger shapes. Teller said: The fix applied is not the fix we were looking for, Roll20.  Yep. I am starting to not want to build maps on roll20 honestly and might look for alternatives. I got a huge dungeon that needs building but with the way things are now it would be a huge pain to do it.
Domigorgon
Plus
Marketplace Creator
New update, old problems... Bring back the middle mouse!
Yeah at this point I would very much like an ETA on fixing the middle mouse button function. Something that's stable on every site, from the simplest to the most complex shouldn't really take 1 month+ to fix. I mean, if it's quite literally on every site on the internet (AFAIK), I can't really see how it is not resolved yet. I can understand putting in the temporary fix since we were so close to the holidays, but not even an update have been given this week, so now my patience is finally beginning to fray at the edges a bit.
Giving this another bump, as while the changelog has described the current solution as a 're-implementation' it isn't a fix to the functionality we had originally and can at best be considered a lacklustre band-aid. I don't want this being swept under the rug like it's been 'fixed'.
Domigorgon
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Yeah, this is probably the third update in a month and they still haven't returned the original function. Come on, devs!
Ashton said: Hey folks! Apologies on the delay for this fix and the impact on your games—it's tied into a few things we're working on at the moment. Rest assured that we're aware of it and hope to have a solution soon. What is the ETA on the functionality being restored? The current patchwork "fix" is not the functionality of the middle mouse/scrollwheel button. We're two weeks into the new year, with this having been an issue for 1½ months now. It is one of the most basic mouse functionalities on every other site that I'm aware on, on the entire internet, as well as all editing software I own (microsoft suite, image editing, PDF readers, etc.), so I really can't see how such a basic feature can be broken for this long, when it's integrated in darn near everything (which suggests that it's a very basic code).

Edited 1673607246
Kasper N. said: Ashton said: Hey folks! Apologies on the delay for this fix and the impact on your games—it's tied into a few things we're working on at the moment. Rest assured that we're aware of it and hope to have a solution soon. What is the ETA on the functionality being restored? The current patchwork "fix" is not the functionality of the middle mouse/scrollwheel button. We're two weeks into the new year, with this having been an issue for 1½ months now. It is one of the most basic mouse functionalities on every other site that I'm aware on, on the entire internet, as well as all editing software I own (microsoft suite, image editing, PDF readers, etc.), so I really can't see how such a basic feature can be broken for this long, when it's integrated in darn near everything (which suggests that it's a very basic code). Roll20 rarely if ever provide ETAs.  Even if this feature was super simple to fix (which I doubt,) that wouldn't be any guarantee that it would be fixed quickly.  Splitting the LFG forums into paid and non-paid (which didn't involve any coding) took a year.  When dealing with Roll20, having patience and using any potential workarounds are the key to maintaining your sanity. -Adam
Domigorgon
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Bump.
Domigorgon said: Bump. Yeah I was about to do that myself. Thanks for helping keeping this alive and visible. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
Domigorgon
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Yeah, it's not as if we want something new! We just want something that's existed for years, and then suddenly disappeared without preamble or reason, restored.