Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Embedded rolls do not work when sheet is set to "To GM"

Edited 1675858361
When sending a message from an NPC sheet with an embedded roll (as documented  here ), if the sheet is set to "To GM", the roll fails to complete: With the sheet set to "Public", the roll completes normally. Using `/gr` over `/r` has no affect on the outcome.
To have an inline roll you can do [[10d8]], it will show up to whomever is selected by the sheet whisper toggle.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Oliver W. said: When sending a message from an NPC sheet with an embedded roll (as documented  here ), if the sheet is set to "To GM", the roll fails to complete: With the sheet set to "Public", the roll completes normally. Using `/gr` over `/r` has no affect on the outcome. Your inline roll has an error, you have it as [(10d8)] instead of [[10d8]]. 
Bob J. said: To have an inline roll you can do [[10d8]], it will show up to whomever is selected by the sheet whisper toggle. Gauss said: Your inline roll has an error, you have it as [(10d8)] instead of [[10d8]]. I think they are referring to this: I've been using it for some time, this way it keeps the text of the roll in the designed statblock while also allowing you to click it. I didn't realized it didn't work if it was set to private GM until recently

Edited 1675934431
Gauss
Forum Champion
Interesting, I have never used that before. I can confirm it does not work in GM whisper mode.  Personally I just autoroll them using [[10d8]] and hover over it if I want to see what the rolls were. It works in GM mode.  How I have it written (for the Red Dragon example) is [[10d8]] (10d8).  [[10d8]] being the roll, and (10d8) being a reminder of what is being rolled. If I want to know the average (63) I could include that also.  Since the forums are primarily users helping users I would post a bug report via the Help Center  referencing this thread.
Submitted through the Help Center. I did mention specifically what sort of syntax I was using in my original message and linked to the documentation.  Cheers for the help.