Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New Token Pack (The Goblin Band)! Looking for feedback and requests!

Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Hi everyone! First I'd like to thank you for supporting my first pack (The Orc Tribe) as well as all the feedback you all gave me on the last thread. &nbsp;I really appreciate it and I think you'll find a lot of your constructive criticism and some of the requests made it to this new pack. I just finished my second pack, The Goblin Band!&nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/121/goblin-band" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/121/goblin-band</a> This pack features 3 races (Goblin, Bugbear and Hobgoblin) as well as 40 tokens (20 unique and 20 alternated, muted color versions of the same). As I did before, I humbly ask you all for your feedback on this new pack; be brutal! (Though stay constructive, please). My next pack will be my first hero/adventurers pack, I am starting with Humans since it serves many settings and depending on your feedback on this thread I will then do either Dwarves, Elves, Thieflings, Drows or Dragonkins (Halflings, Gnomes, and other races will go after those). &nbsp;Feel free to post your requests (Though keep it to fantasy...for now). My plan is to include the following: Warrior/Fighter, Rogue, Paladin, Ranger, Wizard, Cleric, Barbarian, Bard, Monk and Druid. &nbsp;Each character will have a light skinned and a dark skinned version. &nbsp;I have not yet decided if I will be doing both male and females as that is significantly more work. &nbsp;If there are other classes you would rather have me include then please let me know here (Keep in mind the wizard can be used also as a sorcerer, warlock, etc.) Thanks again for all your support, I look forward to your feedback on this new pack!
Gauss
Forum Champion
Very nice. I like these a lot Fernando. :) - Gauss
Honestly I think someone would have to look to hard, even for constructive&nbsp;criticism. In truth they look great and as long as you stuck with the parameters to keep&nbsp;distortion&nbsp;down&nbsp;I see no problem with them. I look forward to seeing the hero token packs but making enough to cover all choices seems daunting. I suppose you could go with a super stripped down melee/caster/rogue of each race, covering a brouder spectrum up front, then take commissions on&nbsp;extremely&nbsp;specific stuff. I dunno how easy it would be to&nbsp;implement commission based work tho.
They look good close up, but when you zoom out... it's very difficult to tell them apart. For this reason, I prefer to the less&nbsp;realistic&nbsp;detailed token art for top down tokens and the detailed artistic images for portrait tokens and avatars.
The detail is truly astounding close up! Once I finish paying bills for the month I'll definitely pick up the set.
I have your first pack which as very nice, I have plenty of goblins however, but had you included a goblin dog, with and without a rider I might have considered this one. Again excellent work.
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Thanks for all the feedback and responses! Thank you Gauss! Thank you for your compliment as well Voth , it is a daunting task but I strive to offer as much as I possibly can to people with my packs, if I'm going to ask someone to pay $4.99 for my work then I should be working hard to earn that privilege! That is why both of my packs are at least 20, hand painted tokens (With the alternate muted colors for each). As for the next pack; yes, it is very daunting! I will start with human males, light skinned and dark skinned, that much is certain. I will make one for each of those classes as they encompass the core classes and other classes could use the same token (An Avenger for instance, could use the Warrior or Rogue token).&nbsp; I'm leaning towards having at least 20 tokens and each class having a 1H and 2H weapon as well as a ranged one in some cases.&nbsp; Because that is a lot I am not sure I will be able to include females as well; I may have to either put them on their own pack, or charge more than $4.99 for this one, leaning toward the former option but the feedback on this thread may sway me the other way. Unfortunately the commission model doesn't work well when it comes to these tokens.&nbsp; Firstly I love the relationship I have with Roll20 and I don't feel comfortable selling my tokens outside of this site's marketplace; secondly, these tokens take a very long time and a lot of effort to do; the price I'd have to charge for a single token would be more than 99% of people are willing to pay. I really appreciate your feedback Jonathan , I will keep things like shapes and outlines in mind for future sets; you are right that it can be a little hard to tell some of these guys apart; personally I like&nbsp;to play zoomed in all the way, but I understand not everyone plays like that.&nbsp; Protrait tokens is something I have thought about including in my packs.&nbsp; I might do that with the heroes and see how it goes! Thank you very much for your support Jay B. I really appreciate it and I hope I can continue to provide you with tokens you enjoy.&nbsp; You'll notice I included a Goblin lancer riding a wolf for your friend! :) Ajax , I know there's a lot of great fantasy tokens out there so all I can hope for is people like mine enough to add them to their collection.&nbsp; I hadn't thought about including a "Goblin Dog", I see now that they are very unlike regular dogs, more like a hairless mix between a rat a dog! I can create one for you if you don't mind me using the same armor I used for the wolf.&nbsp; Which rider do you prefer, the fully armored lancer or the leather wearing spear warrior? Thanks again for the feedback, everyone!
Well Fernando, with commissioned artwork my only personal point of reference is doing tattoos so there is little parallel lol. But that does not detract from the idea that players love personalized stuff, I've seen custom minis go for quite a lot. Now as far as the 99% who won't pay, I won't bore you with the theory or price formation under bilateral competition. You could even tag the token with their character name on request, giving that feeling of their token. I'm sure if the interest in such a mechanic were high enough the roll20 guys would work with you on it. That beig said, your set up isn't broken so I understand not fixing it lol. /end ramble.&nbsp; As for my input on female tokens, &nbsp;a mixed pack would do well IMO. I know I feel there are too few fem tokens, and I found out recently on the forums that apparently there are quite a few males who play females, so there is a market for it.&nbsp;
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
I had someone contact me about creating a custom token pack for them,&nbsp;although it was something&nbsp;I will probably get around to creating eventually in the future anyway.&nbsp; After much consideration I just thought it wasn't worth doing it due to the time investment, I really want to get the basic packs out before I start working on the more esoteric ones; if someone contacts me and&nbsp;offers to pay&nbsp;$50 for a single token then of course I wouldn't turn it down and I'm sure I can work something out with Roll20. As of now, the commission requests I typically get either violate copyrights or are full token packs that would take me a long time to make and ultimately only&nbsp;a small group of people&nbsp;might end up enjoying.&nbsp;&nbsp;I love&nbsp;the latter, but I'd like to do those once I've covered the more popular stuff. My feeling is that a mixed pack would be welcomed, my current inner struggle is that I would love to do different versions of each class (I.e. Warrior Sword + Shield, Warrior 2H Sword, Warrior 2H Axe, etc) which means that we are looking at 20-30 tokens, having a light and dark skinned version of each puts it at 40-60 and that is not doing muted colors.&nbsp; I would like to offer as much customization as I can with my token packs; especially when it comes to heroes; monsters come and go but your character's token will stay with you the entire adventure so I want to make them as close to what your character may be while keeping it generic enough for someone else to feel the same way. I love this discussion though; this is all new to everyone and I do take each and every comment very seriously into consideration!
An earless, hairless, pink, wolf would suffice :)
If only there was a way you could make&nbsp;customizable&nbsp;tokens, akin to top-down paper dolls. &nbsp;I pick my warrior, I choose what's in his outstretched hand, pick his cloak and helmet, and poof he's different than yours.
I was thinking that too, but honestly this may be a post for devs, cuz right now you have to bind two plus tokens together, then the one on top is the editable one that pops in the initiative tracker. It just looks weird editing a hat lol. Would be awesome, tho.&nbsp;
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
I'm sure the developers have already thoughts about this but otherwise&nbsp;I am more than willing to create a few tokens to help them implement and test&nbsp;that feature if they ever decide to.&nbsp; It would open a whole new area of the marketplace, instead of tokens, tiles and objects we could also put up weapon and prop&nbsp;packs.&nbsp; Maybe some day they can come up with a token creation tool where you can pick a base token, gear, weapon(s) and it creates a .PNG file with the final custom token for you. I would definitely post about it on the suggestions forum if I were you, it's a great idea although keep in mind it's very hard to implement something like that; especially since their development time is limited.
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Fernando D. said: I'm sure the developers have already thoughts about this but otherwise&nbsp;I am more than willing to create a few tokens to help them implement and test&nbsp;that feature if they ever decide to.&nbsp; It would open a whole new area of the marketplace, instead of tokens, tiles and objects we could also put up weapon and prop&nbsp;packs.&nbsp; Maybe some day they can come up with a token creation tool where you can pick a base token, gear, weapon(s) and it creates a .PNG file with the final custom token for you. I would definitely post about it on the suggestions forum if I were you, it's a great idea although keep in mind it's very hard to implement something like that; especially since their development time is limited. The user could already do this if there was such a thing, just would have to use something like photoshop or GIMP. &nbsp;Could be neat, but shadows and things would probably make it not quite look right?
Darkness aside, these things look awesome! Great Job - with a name plate, I wouldn't have to worry about how hard they are to see. I like to play close/zoomed in as well, at least in combats. As for making tokens :&nbsp;TokenTool - work for everything jpg and png
These definitely deserve to be called 'Premium Assets'! &nbsp;I will be using these at the first opportunity. Please keep making Roll20 tokens. I look forward to the character packs (with chat portraits please... and some holding torches or lanterns!)
I have the same issue as Jonathan. The tokens look really good close-up, but I never play at close enough zoom level to appreciate the art. To me, they all look the same within basic categories. Also, it looks like you recycled the face and body-shape for each race's token, which kind of gives me the feeling that I'm only getting 1/3 or 1/4 as many tokens. I would suggest slightly modifying the posture of each token and giving some of them defining characteristics, such as a scar on one cheek, an eyepatch, or missing teeth. I understand it's more work to not be able to reuse the same exact model for each token, but it would feel like a more complete set. Many of the other artists' sets I see for sale have a variety of 15-25&nbsp; unmistakably different tokens, which makes it feel like you're getting way more for the same money.
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Konrad , drop shadows would probably be a problem, but at that point you can just have an amorphous, circular shadow for the characters. &nbsp;It's something worth exploring, I'll think about it. Chris &nbsp;Thanks! By "darkness aside" do you mean they look too dark? Different monitors display images differently, I might have the brightness too high on mine; I have looked at them on different monitors and even though I like the brightness level I do like listening to feedback; if this is something a lot of people bring up I'll make the next batch a little brighter. &nbsp;Brightness is always a tricky thing when it comes to art; you don't want to go too dark, of course, but being too bright can make things look bland and hazy; at least in my style; artist who use line work more heavily can get away with going lighter since the lines provide a nice dark contrast. I'll have to check out that tool; thanks for the heads up!&nbsp; Lochaber &nbsp;I'm very flattered, thank you very much for your support! Torches and lanterns are a great idea! I will definitely include those, thank you for the suggestion! Alex &nbsp;I appreciate your feedback; I will keep it in mind for my next pack and make sure to have different hair styles and facial hair on the adventurers. Ajax &nbsp;I have added a Goblin Dog to the pack; I hope you like it, thank you for the suggestion!
Will pick it up for sure..............................
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Thank you for your support, I'm glad you liked it! :)
Awesome! I've been waiting for you to make a new set, I LOVE the Orc set you made and I was so bummed that was the only one you ever posted.
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Thank you Luis , I appreciate your support! I love making these tokens but unfortunately it's something I must do in my very limited free time, I am grateful for your patience! I will release the next pack as soon as my work load allows it!