Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is there a way to make the grid squares larger?

I'm planning on running a game within a system that uses a grid system with 10x10 meter "areas" that multiple characters can occupy instead of a traditional snap-on grid. Is there a way to make this compatible with Roll20's grid system, or at least make it easier to create an overlay for a map to make it work with this? Because having to carefully measure out 10 meter increments, especially when the VTT uses 5 foot increments, is very time consuming and frustrating, especially with the very finnicky drawing tool.
Ralph
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hi @Lucifina, I suggest to adjust the grid size to the amount of space a token should use. Sounds like 2x2m would be appropriate. In this case put the settings in here: On the sight side you can also select "m." for meter. Then disable the grid shown on this map (by Roll20) and use the map you created. With this multiple tokens could occupy one of your fields easily without oberlapping and measurements would be done correctly, because of the 2m basis that Roll20 understands.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Which game system is this?
Brian C. said: Which game system is this? A specially made hack of Magical Burst. Ralph said: Hi @Lucifina, I suggest to adjust the grid size to the amount of space a token should use. Sounds like 2x2m would be appropriate. In this case put the settings in here: On the sight side you can also select "m." for meter. Then disable the grid shown on this map (by Roll20) and use the map you created. With this multiple tokens could occupy one of your fields easily without oberlapping and measurements would be done correctly, because of the 2m basis that Roll20 understands. I don't see how this solves the problem. I have no need of using the ruler because the areas are all very large; there's no need for precise measurements when ranges are calculated in units of 1-3 zones on what is essentially going to be a <10x10 grid in most cases. I'm asking if there's a way to make the grid system show these zones as an overlay on maps without the snapping feature so that I don't have to manually draw a new overlay for every single map I make.

Edited 1679093712
Gauss
Forum Champion
Lucifina, there are a few options here to solve the problem you are having.  1) You can turn any token into a drawing, that makes it ignore the grid.  Right click on the token, Advanced -> Is Drawing WARNING: If you use the clear drawings option in the art tools that will also clear any tokens that have been turned into drawings.  2) You can hold down the ALT key while moving a token, it will ignore snap to grid.  3) You can create your overlay on a blank page. Then copy that page every time you want to make a new map with the overlay. The overlay will be present on the copy, and then you can create your map normally. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Unfortunately, turning on the grid turns on snap. Squares, regardless of how much they virtually represent are always 70px across, or 175 pixels at full zoom (250% * 70px). There are two options to prevent this. You can hold down the alt key when moving, or define all tokens as drawings. Neither one of these options is great. I think the simplest solution would be to just turn off the grid and have a 700px grid image that you can lay down on top of any map. It's not hard to make. Here is a 700px grid on a 5x5 matrix. Set your page to 3500px x 3500px and you can lay this over the top of your map image. (It's hard to see here if you are using dark mode).
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
To add to the feedback and suggestions: there is no way of setting up the grid with different major and minor grid lines. I would suggest going down one of two major routes: Set up a template page where you use the Shift key with the drawing tools to draw the major grid (the large squares that contain smaller squares for the tokens to reside within). Draw it on the map layer and duplicate the page whenever you need a new page set up. When adding the map image, right click it and use Advanced->Send to Back to place it behind the grid lines. Make a template PNG image that is either a single outline of square or an entire grid like Keith suggests. You then place this over your grid or set up a template page like in #1. When setting this up, you want to think about how many tokens are allowed to be within a single major grid square to determine the size of the major squares. At this point you can either keep the Roll20 grid on to keep the tokens a bit more tidy or turn it off to allow tokens to be dumped into any square and stay exactly where they are placed. If you keep the Roll20 Grid, you can adjust the lines fainter or make them invisible by setting the color to transparent. That will keep things tidy without giving the impression that the minor grid matters.
Brian C. said: snip keithcurtis said: snip Gauss said: snip Thank you for the other suggestions. I'll attempt to make use of either an overlay or the Alt-drag method. My prospective players say they would prefer the latter.