Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking to Hire Someone to Make Custom Character Sheet

Hello everyone! Normally I'd try doing this myself, but I've barely gotten my feet wet in Java at all, and I'm running out of time unfortunately. I've been DMing in person sessions for the longest time, but I'm about to start online livestream D&D sessions, so I need something that works soon. Therefore I'm looking for someone who's proficient in coding to make a custom character sheet. Now the twist here, and why I'm not using other sheets, is that I'm a 1st edition AD&D dungeon master with a homebrew world and some homebrew rules. So the character sheet's gonna look a little different than what most people are used to. If anyone is willing and/or available, please send me a message. I'd truly appreciate it ^-^
Hello, do you hava a PDF, excel or other support with an exemple of your sheet ? It will be easily to see what we have to do and estimate the time to do this.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you want something soon, my guess is you're out of luck - creating a character sheet can tale many weeks unless its very simple. Requests like this tend not to get much of a response because there are very few people able and willing to make a character sheet, and they need to see some things from the client: A willingness to be clear about their desired goal (give lots of guidance one what the character sheet should unclude) An understanding of the realities of entering such a contact, including for example what a reasonable budget would be. (It's usually way higher than clients expefct or are willing and able to pay.) Not to mention the likely time such a project would take. The word "soon" doesnt really fit. That said, there's a character sheet request thread stickied at the top of this forum.
GiGs said: If you want something soon, my guess is you're out of luck - creating a character sheet can tale many weeks unless its very simple. Requests like this tend not to get much of a response because there are very few people able and willing to make a character sheet, and they need to see some things from the client: A willingness to be clear about their desired goal (give lots of guidance one what the character sheet should unclude) An understanding of the realities of entering such a contact, including for example what a reasonable budget would be. (It's usually way higher than clients expefct or are willing and able to pay.) Not to mention the likely time such a project would take. The word "soon" doesnt really fit. That said, there's a character sheet request thread stickied at the top of this forum. Sorry to highjack the thread but ... I asked somewhere else because I'm asking about a new game and not just "a character sheet".  But I was told to look to the character sheet forum.   Are unique games (with their own mechanics and dice mechanisms) considered to merely be "character sheets", or do they genuinely belong somewhere else?   Calling them "character sheets" seems incredibly odd.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Character Sheets are the way a game's system are encoded - it contains the special rolls and macros needed. if you want the game to be played on Roll20, players often need a character sheet.

Edited 1679338333
Gauss
Forum Champion
You can do a game without a character sheet, the "Character" Attributes & Abilities tab can handle that. But it won't have the visual representation that a graphical (ie: character) sheet has.  But as for the naming convention, "character sheet" is just what most RPG style games call it and thus it is what Roll20 calls it. But it can represent just about anything you would have on a piece of paper. For example, a Starfleet Battles Ship's Systems Displays (SSD) could, in theory, be put on a "Character Sheet" in Roll20. 

Edited 1679428486
I see what you're saying, but don't agree that "character sheet is what most RPG style games" call it.  They usually call it "the game mechanics" or "the core rule book" or "the player's handbook" or something like that :-)    A character sheet (or SSD, or Car Wars VDS) is just a bunch of stats specific to that character, not the entirety of the game rules/mechanics.
John R. said: I see what you're saying, but don't agree that "character sheet is what most RPG style games" call it.  They usually call it "the game mechanics" or "the core rule book" or "the player's handbook" or something like that :-)    A character sheet (or SSD, or Car Wars VDS) is just a bunch of stats specific to that character, not the entirety of the game rules/mechanics. The thing what Gauss said is the character sheet in Roll20 can integrate functions, inline rolls and others specificities of your rule system directly in the code of the sheet. Thus the character sheet is almost a entire system.
Maïlare said: John R. said: I see what you're saying, but don't agree that "character sheet is what most RPG style games" call it.  They usually call it "the game mechanics" or "the core rule book" or "the player's handbook" or something like that :-)    A character sheet (or SSD, or Car Wars VDS) is just a bunch of stats specific to that character, not the entirety of the game rules/mechanics. The thing what Gauss said is the character sheet in Roll20 can integrate functions, inline rolls and others specificities of your rule system directly in the code of the sheet. Thus the character sheet is almost a entire system. Yes, that is the part where I was saying "I see what you're saying".  I get that it probably initially started out as a way to just do unique character sheets for the originally supported games, and the name grew from there because you can probably stuff everything roll20 actually needs into the character sheet.  My original question was being sure that the naming was a quirk of how the platform grew and not that I had missed that all of the other stuff is somewhere else that I also needed to know about if I'm trying to figure out how to do a new game system in roll20. But not calling "all of our support/mechanics for game X" something like "game mode X" or "game repo for X" or anything like that ... and instead calling it "a character sheet" does not match with the assertion that "that's what most RPG style games call [this]."  Because it's not: "a character sheet" is not what describes "all of the support/mechanics for game X" in any RPG that I'm aware of, not even in the games where the character sheet actually does contain specific rules (where that's usually called a "play book").  Which is why I asked for the clarification that I asked for.
I think many people say this because the sheet is the transcription of a game sytem/rules. It's here we find the attributes, skills, spells, etc... and in Roll20 it's even more real because all the operations and the specificities (for the rolls, calculate a skill in terms of something, etc...) planned in the rulebook can be automated so what the players have just to click a button or enter a value to make this. And I think too we are using this language abuse because we are coding character sheet and we usually use this term on the forum to talk about this.

Edited 1679502263
Gauss
Forum Champion
John R. said: I see what you're saying, but don't agree that "character sheet is what most RPG style games" call it.  They usually call it "the game mechanics" or "the core rule book" or "the player's handbook" or something like that :-)    A character sheet (or SSD, or Car Wars VDS) is just a bunch of stats specific to that character, not the entirety of the game rules/mechanics. The idea of Character Sheets in Roll20 is to provide a digital version of what a paper character sheet (or SSD or VDS etc) is.  Some Character Sheets provide just that, no rules, no autocalculations.  The fact that many, if not most, character sheets provide autocalculations (and thus rules) does not change what that core feature is, a graphical representation of a piece of paper that people record their characters (or SSD or VDS etc) on. :)
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
John R. said: I see what you're saying, but don't agree that "character sheet is what most RPG style games" call it.  They usually call it "the game mechanics" or "the core rule book" or "the player's handbook" or something like that :-)    A character sheet (or SSD, or Car Wars VDS) is just a bunch of stats specific to that character, not the entirety of the game rules/mechanics. What people call the game mechanics is what goes in a rulebook for people to read. But how you use those mechanics is almost all character-focussed. This is a VTT. It doesn't care to present rules to people - it's not a rulebook. It has to care about how people use the mechanics, and so the rules ae all embedded in the character sheet.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I will note that there are compendiums for presenting rules text and providing a drag and droppable source of character sheet items. These are a whole other topic from character sheets and require working with Roll20 and likely one of the small number of contractors that specialize in compendium creation. However, even with compendiums, you are going to have some sort of character sheet that interacts with the compendium.