Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5E OGL - Apply Default Settings not working

Hi, as a GM I always roll for enemies in the open. However the module I used to create a game [ToD] sets every NPC and enemy up as "Alway whisper ..." and there is a ton of them. I tried to use the "Apply Default Settings" feature to remedy that, however it's simply not doing anything. If a fix is not available, is there another method of changing the settings for every sheet in the entire game???
Gauss
Forum Champion
Could you please post a screenshot of an NPC's whisper settings?  To do this: Open the NPC sheet Edit the NPC (near the top right corner of the sheet is a cog) Scroll down to where the whisper control is.  Screenshot.  I am curious if there is an issue with the state. I have been running into that on occasion.
Sure. Here you go:

Edited 1680773238
Gauss
Forum Champion
Alright, so the state looks correct.  What are the steps you are performing to try to change the whisper settings for all of the characters?

Edited 1680776148
Let me show you, these are my default settings: And this is the Setup of the "Apply Default Setting" Feature I use: Once I click the "Apply Settings" Button ... it does nothing. I waited a couple minutes just in case it might need some time. But as you can see per my prior screenshot the NPC's setting is still set to "Always Whisper". EDIT: I double checked the attribute just in case, but it's not that.

Edited 1680777279
P.S.: I tinkered around a bit ... curiously enough, I managed to set everything to "Whisper Toggle" ... I don't know why, but that worked.
Tonight was game night. the ENTIRETY of all NPCs were reset to "always whisper" for some reason. WFT roll20!!!
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Just out of curiosity, did you let the process run the full conversion when you applied the default settings in-game.  I haven't used that function recently, but the progress bar has been pretty thin and easy to miss in the past.  Just wondering if you closed that up before it got done processing the sheets to the toggle.

Edited 1680818726
Gauss
Forum Champion
There has been issues in the past (and I am finding one now) where the Campaign Details page and the in-game settings are not correctly synched.  I will file a bug report about it but atm here is what I am seeing:  On my Campaign Details page I am set to "Always Whisper" In the game I create a brand new character and check it. The character has the toggle for whisper.  Then I check the settings for the character, the settings are correctly set to "Always Whisper".  The inaccurate toggle is set to Public, and without changing the "Always Whisper" I make a roll. It correctly whispers the roll to the GM.  This is a state issue I've seen before in other areas.  Next, I switch the Campaign Details setting to "Never Whisper" I relaunch the game, and again create a new character. It still has the incorrect toggle, but the setting is correct and it correctly does not whisper.  Next, I apply the default setting (waiting for it to complete) and recheck new and old characters. The setting is correct in the character settings, but on characters with the incorrect toggle the toggle is still present.  So for me, it is looking like the Never Whisper setting is taking, but on any character with the toggle incorrectly present it is still on but the toggle doesn't affect the settings.  Edit: this is currently happening in one game but not others. It could be a game level issue although I have seen this in other games in the past.   Edit 2: It appears the nonfunctional Whisper Toggle in my game is being tied to Advantage Toggle for some reason. Have one I have the other. This IS happening in multiple games (my other games didn't have Advantage Toggle).
Gauss
Forum Champion
Greybeard, with all of the above said, I was still able to correctly set the Never Whisper, could you screenshot the character sheet's settings after waiting for the Apply Default Settings bar to complete?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Greybeard! It sounds like you have run across a very longstanding bug. I have posted my standard whisper-setting instructions below the line and you have identified the problem and the workaround. This has been reported numerous times over the years, but remains an issue. I have no idea why your characters would have reverted, though. Gauss : You were able to successfully set a blank value in the whisper attribute by using the  Default Sheet Settings? If so, that's new behavior. Here are the step-by-step instructions i give in cases like these. See if these help: Note that the whisper settings are attached to each individual sheet, there is no actual game setting. These instructions are for changing the defaults for all the character sheets in the game, then applying the settings to all existing sheets. Note that this will also change your PC sheets - you will have to manually change them to a different setting if one is preferred. Here are the ways to toggle this behavior: Always Whisper Go to the Campaign Settings Page Choose "Always Whisper Rolls" under "WHISPER ROLLS TO GM" in the Default Sheet Settings Save Load your game Go to the settings tab on the right and look under Miscellaneous, where you will find a button that says Apply Default Settings. Press it. Choose to update the Whisper settings. Wait a minute or two for it to resolve. There is a thin easy-to-miss progress bar. Never Whisper There's a bug in the game settings that doesn't recognize "Never Whisper Rolls", possibly because it is trying to write a blank value. The solution is to use Whisper Toggle. The default is public, so once this is set, all rolls should show. Go to the Campaign Settings Page Choose "Whisper Toggle" under "WHISPER ROLLS TO GM" in the Default Sheet Settings Save Load your game Go to the settings tab on the right and look under Miscellaneous, where you will find a button that says Apply Default Settings. Press it. Choose to update the Whisper settings. Wait a minute or two for it to resolve. There is a thin easy-to-miss progress bar. Query Whisper The default is public, so once this is set, all rolls should show by default unless you choose otherwise. Go to the Campaign Settings Page Choose "Query Whisper" under "WHISPER ROLLS TO GM" in the Default Sheet Settings Save Load your game Go to the settings tab on the right and look under Miscellaneous, where you will find a button that says Apply Default Settings. Press it. Choose to update the Whisper settings. Wait a minute or two for it to resolve. There is a thin easy-to-miss progress bar.    7. Have fun!
Thank for the Instructions, the workaround works for me! However ... keithcurtis said: I have no idea why your characters would have reverted, though. After some extensive tinkering I believe I ran into to independent issues at once. The setting revert no matter how i've configured my sheets. Whether I set the sheets per your instructions or I configure them each manually, the reversal happens anyway. I've opend another post for the "new" issue.