Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[GURPS] Comparing a roll result to a target number

'Ello! After many moons of being curious and just poking about, I was hoping to start using Roll20 to run some GURPS games. The skill mechanics of GURPS are incredibly simple: roll 3d6, match or get lower than a target number to proceed. I just want to be absolutely sure because I feel like I must be missing something -- am I correct that Roll20 cannot compare the result of a basic 3d6 roll to a target number without my spending for Mentor-level access to a 3rd party script? I'm not really looking to over-automate the combat or anything, but we really must be able to roll skill checks. Just checkin'. Thanks!

Edited 1409632704
This isn't very pretty looking, but I think it gets the job done. I tried for a while to see if there was a built in way to do it, and it doesn't seem like there is, but I think I found a work around. The 900d1 is required to make it a grouped roll, where it will total up each of the sub rolls (In this case, 3d6 and 900d1), and then compare that to the target number. If you take out the 900d1 it stops working. I made it 900d1 so that it would never be lower or equal to whatever you have as your target number. I'm not really sure if my explanation makes sense, but just try the code and see if it works. /roll {3d6, 900d1}<?{Target Number}
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you're comparing the sum of the dice to the target, then you can use: /roll {3d6, 0d0}k1<?{Target Number} If you're comparing each die to the target number (I don't know GURPS, I'm just being complete), you can simply do: /roll 3d6<?{Target Number} Both of the above can also be inline rolls, using [[expression]] instead of /roll expression
Nice! Thanks, those work pretty well. Rough, but doable - is there any way to see the sum of the dice displayed as well? Appreciate the quick replies!
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you're using the inline roll version, you'll have to hover your mouse over the number of successes and sum the dice yourself. If you're using /roll, you can use /roll {[[3d6]],0}k1<?{Target Number} to see the sum of the 3d6 and whether it's a success.