Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

WRONG Campaign is loaded

When I start a campaign SOMETIMES (a lot lately) another campaign is loaded! HOW can that BE?!
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
This has never happened to me since I started in 2014. What happens if you login to Roll20 in an Incognito / Private Browsing window?
This happens to me sometimes too. Normally when I am jumping between multiple games. The name of the game is correct in the browser tab, but the game loaded is not correct. Closing and re-opening the browser fixes it.

Edited 1682949368
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Normally this happens when you have opened two different campaigns, and refresh the first one. it doesn't matter if you have since closed the second one. The Roll20 cookie just remembers the last campaign opened. If this is not what is going on, it might still be related. You might have some local data that the browser is not letting go of. I would suggest deleting cache and cookies (at least those that pertain to Roll20) and see if that clears up the issue.
Andrew R. said: This has never happened to me since I started in 2014. What happens if you login to Roll20 in an Incognito / Private Browsing window? Normal AND Incognito. It started happening 2 weeks ago. And I do NOT have multiple campaigns open in different tabs... Every Campaign I opened I exited normally... Cleared Cache and Cookies and it STILL happens...

Edited 1682964065
Yes, I am aware you can't have more then one game open at a time. That is not the case here. It could be a cookie issue for sure. I was just confirming it is not isolated to TheMarkus1204. 

Edited 1682966052
Gauss
Forum Champion
I think there are two issues here.  1) Two different games are open, the first game is refreshed and it will open the second game.  I don't think this is a bug, just how things work with the internet etc. For this reason I typically use a different browser for the second game.  2) Game "A" is open, closed, then Game "B" is immediately launched. Game "A" is launched instead. I have seen this happen rarely, but it can happen.  I think it is an expression of #1 above, but where the system didn't clear things properly upon closing Game "A". Not sure if this is a Roll20 issue or a Browser issue. But it may be worth sending a bug report into the Devs via the Help Center to have them investigate it. For me it is so infrequent I chalk it up to glitch rather than bug. 
Gold
Forum Champion
Sean E. said: Yes, I am aware you can't have more then one game open at a time. That is not the case here. It could be a cookie issue for sure. I was just confirming it is not isolated to TheMarkus1204.  You CAN have 2 open at once, what Keith explained is that if you have 2 campaigns open at once, then the Most-Recent one opened will be the one that reopens if you hit Refresh on any Roll20 window. There may be a Cookie-updating problem/bug, from the sounds of this thread's reports so far
It is neither! I had Game A (my Numenera Campaign) opened a day earlier AND closed it while exiting the game as always. On the next day, I wanted to open a different campaign and instead Numenera was loaded... it even shows the caption of Game B while loading Game A and after a reload the tab title switches... Happens in BOTH normal AND Incognito... Gauss said: I think there are two issues here.  1) Two different games are open, the first game is refreshed and it will open the second game.  I don't think this is a bug, just how things work with the internet etc. For this reason I typically use a different browser for the second game.  2) Game "A" is open, closed, then Game "B" is immediately launched. Game "A" is launched instead. I have seen this happen rarely, but it can happen.  I think it is an expression of #1 above, but where the system didn't clear things properly upon closing Game "A". Not sure if this is a Roll20 issue or a Browser issue. But it may be worth sending a bug report into the Devs via the Help Center to have them investigate it. For me it is so infrequent I chalk it up to glitch rather than bug. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheMarkus1204 said: It is neither! I had Game A (my Numenera Campaign) opened a day earlier AND closed it while exiting the game as always. On the next day, I wanted to open a different campaign and instead Numenera was loaded... it even shows the caption of Game B while loading Game A and after a reload the tab title switches... Happens in BOTH normal AND Incognito... Gauss said: I think there are two issues here.  1) Two different games are open, the first game is refreshed and it will open the second game.  I don't think this is a bug, just how things work with the internet etc. For this reason I typically use a different browser for the second game.  2) Game "A" is open, closed, then Game "B" is immediately launched. Game "A" is launched instead. I have seen this happen rarely, but it can happen.  I think it is an expression of #1 above, but where the system didn't clear things properly upon closing Game "A". Not sure if this is a Roll20 issue or a Browser issue. But it may be worth sending a bug report into the Devs via the Help Center to have them investigate it. For me it is so infrequent I chalk it up to glitch rather than bug.  That still sounds like situation #2, but with a longer timespan. My suggestion is still to file a bug report with the Devs via the Help Center.