Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Star Trek Adventures by Roll20 Update

Edited 1680658955
Nic B.
Roll20 Team
Greetings STA players! We're pushing an update for the Star Trek Adventures character sheet. This will considerably change the underlying structure of the sheet to take advantage of many of the additions made to the sheet ecosystem in the four years since this sheet was released, but retain the LCARS styling of the previous sheet you've been enjoying. Previous Sheet New Sheet This is a pretty large technical upgrade, and we've had to rework how some of the data on this sheet is stored and presented, such as turning some of the text fields into repeating sections, to allow for future Drag and Drop development on the sheet. We have also improved upon the dice mechanics present in the sheet to take advantage of Custom Roll Parsing. Finally, we've added a couple of extra sheet types, including an NPC statblock. In order to mitigate any data loss, we've moved any replaced data to the settings page, so you can recover your content: We've taken pains to avoid any loss of your existing data, however, if there's something we missed, or something that goes wrong, please let us know in this thread, and we'll do our best to rectify the issues. Equally, please feel free to highlight any other bugs, or features that you'd like to see in the upgraded sheet. Mostly we hope that this is a good upgrade to your Star Trek Adventures, and that you'll have a great experience. Live long and prosper!
Hi Nic I really don't want to sound like an arsehole but the update wiped out the traits and notes on my sheet, which would be fine if it was a one shot or a short game but as someone who has been playing the same character for 5 years it wiped a lot of stuff.  I know that it most likely can't be recovered but I think a little more time before the update for people to back up their sheets would have been nice, unlike me who refreshed mid game and lost everything.

Edited 1680705598
Mirco
Plus
Hello Nic, hello Roll20, first of all: thank you for your hard work. Regarding this update: On the plus side: the new fonts are more readable for me. That is great. But there are major problems, e.g.: - Focusses, Traits, Equipment... all no longer on the charactersheet’s main page for (edit: existing) characters and (as far as applicable) also for ships. They are on the settings page marked with „old“ as noted by you. I hope you can put them back to the right place. I do not want to fix dozens of sheets by hand. - Existing Ships have no longer values for systems and departments. The values are defaults now. This is unusable for me. I have dozens of ships, I don't want to put in the stats for dozens of ships by hand a second time. - Probably I will have to adjust several macros, because the technical names of attributes have changed? For me as a game master with dozens of Macros, NPCs and ships, the update is as of yet not a great experience. If someday there may be a compendium with Drag&Drop that would be great, put please fix theese issues. I have already written a support ticket about it. Please fix this! I used to like my campaign setup a lot. Kind regards, Mirco
It looks really nice! I'm looking forward to using it. Is there any chance a "Mental Stress" section with the same parameters as Stress could be added as defined in the Game Master's Guide? The total would be from Control + Command.
Generally speaking a good and much needed update. It looks much cleaner, and I can see how this would likely fit well with the new compendium content that is coming out. The tooltips on weapon damage are a particularly nice touch, and will hopefully speed along helping people understand why the dice roll seems wrong. On that note however, the dice rolling macro now seems to be wrong. I don't know if this is just on old characters, but I've just generated 2 success on a roll of a 3 with no focus, 1 success on a roll of a 1 (which should always be 2) and everything other than the 2 success seem to come up as pink/red as per a complication. In this state the roller is unusable for me. Other feedback for possible minor changes: please could you add a maximum width to the values box- at present it can be wider than the whole sheet, and breaks the visual. There seems to be some superfluous fields in the focus and traits section? Foci shouldn't have prerequisites for example, and dont need descriptions - they are entirely free form. Traits also don't need so many sections. NPC Ship/NPC Starship don't really match the descriptions given at the top of the sheets. This also assumes that any NPC ship is either an alien or and Adversary, which isn't always true. (There shouldn't actually be a focus used option for the Starship in general - it always has a focus, and crew quality don't use focuses) It's been mentioned elsewhere, but it might be appreciated if there was a legacy sheet option available for the time being. I have a game tonight for example, and don't have time to port everything across before then.
Hey Nic, Setting aside short notification time, which probably colors things a bit, my biggest qualm is that the sheet feels bloated: As I begin the process of transferring talents, traits, and the like, the extra boxes for Traits & Focuses add a lot of needless space.  In particular, the "Prerequisite" & "Description"  seem redundant.  If one describes what the trait or focus is, and the other describes the applicability of the skill, it seems they would be encompassed by the others. Similarly, the Talents have the added Requirements & Category types, which are useful in the Character Creation stage when working with a book or other creator, but doesn't really make sense in gameplay.  At best, the only application would seem to be if it is meant for the player to keep track if they apply a milestone in order to adjust their Disciplines in for some reason, but I've never had any shift so pronounced as to lose a Talent. All that is to say that it adds a lot for a player to keep track and scroll through the sheet.  While some of this  does  make a lot of sense, I think the updates have overdone it a little. Supplemental Qualm While moving Talents for my players, I've discovered that only two lines of it are visible at a time.  This is a pretty harsh drop in usability for that section, where one could previously read the whole talent with ease.  
I never used them, but I seem to recall at least one larger text field on the "back" of sheets that just seems to be gone completely.  There doesn't appear a related "old X" attribute in the attributes list that I can see.  Maybe I'm totally wrong on this one, and there has been no loss of functionality. I'm gonna echo the feedback on the Traits and Focuses.  The "simplified" view of Traits and Talents don't require any additional columns; outside of character creation a Focus doesn't really have a category as far as I can recall.  They're not a mechanically significant piece of information.  If it's intended help find the Focus in a book, a Title and Page field would be of substantially more value in this regard. Unless Category is some kind of integration point for in-game STA content... 👀 Tooltips for Task rolls include some kind of unicode junk instead of actual characters.  Challenge dice rolls look clean. Browser: Firefox 111 (latest)
To update on my previous note about the dice roller, a couple of us have managed to narrow down the problem slightly: The sheet seems to set 0 as a complication by default, but changes that once you change the complication range - irritating but easy to fix from a users point of view. Selecting "Focus used - yes" seems to prevent a "natural" 1 from recording a critical success, and only lists it as one success. It works fine when focus is selected as no, and the rest of the focus range seems to work fine. Seems like the code is replacing the focus range rather than expanding it. Hope this helps with getting it fixed.
As mentioned by MattCapiche I strongly support the idea of providing the legacy sheet as an option. Especially if my problems mentioned above will not be solved.
What everyone said: I applaud the intent of the update, but there are a number of fumbles which seem to have messed things up a bit. There is definitely an issue with Task dice-rolling - this needs to be fixed asap, IMO. Loss of ship stats is a major issue, I've found them in the Attributes & Abilities tab, but getting them back where they should be will be a little complex. Converting tasks and the like is very time-consuming. Note that I've already seen at least 1 game session cancelled because of these issues!
Update: on the main Starship Registry Entry, the Space Frame, Mission Profile and Refit fields all appear to be drawing from the same sheet field - update 1 and they all change.
Looks like the Traits field is missing on the Starship sheet.
GM in the Great Barrier said: Hey Nic, [...] All that is to say that it adds a lot for a player to keep track and scroll through the sheet.  While some of this  does  make a lot of sense, I think the updates have overdone it a little. [...] So far I do not like much about this sheet. However this point my be solved by clickling the little cogwheel next to the title of the item. Clickling it switches between an editable and log version and a one line version of the item. I think.
I will grant that fix works on the traits and talents and that does go a way towards solving things. The limited window on the Talent description stands, however. Mirco said: GM in the Great Barrier said: Hey Nic, [...] All that is to say that it adds a lot for a player to keep track and scroll through the sheet.  While some of this  does  make a lot of sense, I think the updates have overdone it a little. [...] So far I do not like much about this sheet. However this point my be solved by clickling the little cogwheel next to the title of the item. Clickling it switches between an editable and log version and a one line version of the item. I think.
Yes, you are right.  GM in the Great Barrier said: I will grant that fix works on the traits and talents and that does go a way towards solving things. The limited window on the Talent description stands, however. Mirco said: GM in the Great Barrier said: Hey Nic, [...] All that is to say that it adds a lot for a player to keep track and scroll through the sheet.  While some of this  does  make a lot of sense, I think the updates have overdone it a little. [...] So far I do not like much about this sheet. However this point my be solved by clickling the little cogwheel next to the title of the item. Clickling it switches between an editable and log version and a one line version of the item. I think.
One Interesting Change/Small Bug -The NPC Adversary sheet is a neat addition for ground opponents, but it appears to be listed under "NPC Starship" in the Settings page.  The "NPC Ship" option allows you to use the proper NPC ship sheet (complete with the proper dice roller stats to reflect an NPC crew).
Another bug on the NPC Adversary (which I otherwise like a lot) The link to roll damage seems to roll 4 challenge dice regardless of the listed damage...
"NPC Ship" sheet type seems to refer to a Starship, But calling in an "Alien Ship" is misleading as an NPC ship can absolutely be a Friendly vessel. Also there is no easy slot to write down Traits and no means of monitoring breeches, either over all or per system. Sometimes an NPC ship will use the abbreviate breach system and others it will use the full breach system if it is a notable vessel. Having both full breech recording and crew Task roller on the same sheet will help. And Traits are a key part of this system. Every creature and ship needs to have the ability to record traits on the front page. I dealing just below the Name. "NPC Starship" is actually a NPC ground person. and again, NPC doesn't mean it is hostile or alien. Having the Focuses be in a different location from the PC sheet can be disorientating. I would move Focuses to under the task roller, Attacks and special rules underneath values, and again, Traits are a key part of this system. Traits should be at the top of the sheet. "Starship Registry" is confusingly named along side the other sheet types. There is no place to record Traits. Mission Profile, Space Frame and Refit all key to the same field. As mentioned before, These sheets has superfluous fields that needlessly take up space and confuse people. Focuses just needs to be one open field. The name of the Focus. That's it. There are no prerequisites for a focus. It is open ended. Having an optional description field here might be helpful to hold techno-babble. But otherwise can be hidden. Traits Have no need for Categories or Requirements. These are integral to the system and should be a straight forward as possible. One open field to display the text. and maybe an optional sub field to describe what it does and how to affect it. I do like that there is more room for traits and it is easier to scroll and see them all. i would prefer traits to be further up, possibly above the task roller for all sheets. Talents needs work. Having the name default display and no other information is useless unless we can tell at a glance what the Talent does. Perhaps instead of "Catagory" we add room for a "short description" where you can write a 1 line blerp of what the talent does. And that will display as a Smaller and lighter colored text just underneath the talent title when all collapsed. Still have the requirements, as those are static, and if your stats change, you can suddenly be unqualified for a talent. For Once, that is useful. I would also have the space where you can write in the full text of the Talent in the cog wheel menu. Perhaps also one more field to put in the source, as in what book and page number this talent comes from for easy GM reference. The spacing of the Complication Range Buttons looks awkward when compared tot he task roller. I would line all those buttons up. To be honest, I do not know of anyone who tracks Threat and momentum individually, and that section is just a huge waste of space. Threat is a GM resource and often fluctuates from between 12 to 80. Momentum is also a group resource and is more often handled by a player or the GM using cards to represent them. Determination is mostly a Once per mission resources that you can regenerate a few ways. It is exceedingly rare that you will have two or more determinations in your pocket at once. The only thing I can think of is if you accept a complication from the GM in order to gain an extra point of determination. I have only seen that a dozen times over the past 4 years. Perhaps on the Cog wheel section of the sheet, under Reputation, add on drop down option for "Alternative/Klingon" system, as there is another system for reputation that is not based on Rank. This would rename the fields "Influence" "Reputation" and "Reprimands" in order. While we are at it. Perhaps next to Talents or underneath  "Other Equipment", we can add a section for Medals. These are usually once Daily powers. A similar set up to the Talents with the Title, and short descriptor section, along with the longer flavor text and page number in the sub menu. I would also add a ticker on the side to flip when we have used that power this mission. This is mostly frustrating that this came out of nowhere and appeared at first glance to chew up months or YEARS of hard work. A Legacy Mode until these issues can be resolved with be appreciate.

Edited 1680727295
Bugs on the Starship Registry The Max Crew Support ignores the value of the Bonus on the settings page. Shields reset fills all bullets - there doesn't seem to be any way to reduce it to zero.
Joe
Plus
Sheet Author
When I drag an NPC from the compendium to the map, the majority of time the sheet never finished building.   when it does, the weapons, attacks, etc are not populated.  
On the Task roller the Crits with 2 hits appears SLIGHTLY below the single successes and the zeros. It kinda looks weird and it is all spread out.
NPC Star Crew Task Roller does nothing and rolls the same stats as the selected Systems and Department.
NPC Ship sheet, there is a bit of lag when updating a weapon from energy to Torpedo. It would be helpful to post the Weapons Qualities and effects in the chat next to the damage as that has an impact on how much actual damage an attack does. Admittedly, a low priority, but a nice quality of life.
It would be helpful to post the Weapons Qualities and effects in the chat next to the damage as that has an impact on how much actual damage an attack does. Seconded: the Warhammer 2e sheet does this and it's a helpful reminder.

Edited 1680731647
Nic B.
Roll20 Team
Hey folks, Thank you for your constructive feedback. Clearly this release was not up to par, and I can only apologize for that; we're working hard to resolve these issues. We're prioritizing dropped data and notable bugs immediately, but will get to some of the feature requests as soon as we can. We're pushing an update that will hopefully alleviate the most notable concerns: Compendium The character sheet should pick up the new Star Trek Adventures compendium by default. Dropping NPCs to the VTT should now correctly fill the character sheet. Traits, Talents, Equipment and other new Repeating Sections Each section that was removed now has the old data preserved in settings In addition, each section now has a checkbox to return to the old input method. Checking this on will replace the repeating section with a textbox. This functionality is not identical in every instance (i.e. Traits), but should give you access to the old data to avoid having to transpose it to the repeating fields Additionally, in the repeating sections, when not in edit mode, clicking the name of an item will display the description beneath the name, if there is a description. Clicking the name again will hide the description. Removed various unnecessary fields from repeating sections. Dice Roller We resolved two issues that were causing dice rolls to display malformed. This behavior should now be consistent between all dice rollers. Ship Sheet Resolved an issue where ship data was not being preserved on the new version of the sheet. Resolved an issue where entering data into one of Space Frame, Mission Profile, or Refit would cause that data to be duplicated. Settings Returned the accidentally removed notes section. If you're noticing any other incidents of data loss, or any other pressing issues, please continue to highlight them here. Screenshots are worth a thousand words in this regard. Many thanks!
I've read through the thread fully, and collated the following lists. As previously mentioned, we will focus on resolving issues before adding new features, but please continue to provide feedback and point out any issues I may have missed. Many thanks for your patience and efforts. Remaining Known Issues Crew task rolls are not always working as intended. The sheet type select displays incorrect names for NPCs and NPC Starships Adversary Attacks are rolling an incorrect number of challenge dice. Necessary trait fields missing from NPC Sheets Shields incorrectly resets the shields to mark all capsules. The Max Crew Support ignores the value of the Bonus on the settings page. Requested Features Add mental stress value beneath Stress (total of Control + Command) Change sheet headers to remove "Alien" and "Adversary" from the description Improve Breach Handling on NPC Starships Alternative (i.e. Klingon) Reputation System Add section for Medals Display weapon qualities in Roll Template
text boxes to not word wrap to the size of the window when you move out of Edit mode. The sentence just goes flying off to the right.

Edited 1680740522
Player Ships are unable to select an Attribute or Department. Selecting different number of dice on the task roller has no effect and it just rolls one dice

Edited 1680741388
Button weirdness. Not functionality. but it might bug people
Hey folks, Pushed another update to resolve some of the issues on the sheet. General Fixed a bug that allowed text content to stretch it's containment field Fixed a bug that was causing incorrect translations to appear in the sheet select Dice Rollers Generally improved the behavior and appearance of all dice rollers. Removed unnecessary focus toggles for ship sheets. Fixed a bug that prevented Ship Systems and Departments from being correctly selected Fixed a bug that misreported the composition of a Crew Task Roll. Fixed a visual bug that caused dice results to display out of line under certain circumstances. Ship Sheet Resolved an issue that prevented shields from being cleared correctly Resolved an issue where Crew Bonus was not being factored into Crew Max NPC Ship Sheet Resolved an issue where Crew values were not initializing correctly. NPC Sheet Fixed an issue that caused damage rolls to calculate incorrectly. I'm hoping that this is every outstanding issue on the sheet taken care of, but if not, please let me know. Thanks again!
Thank you so much! I know that code can be stringy, and this feels like nit picking. I hope that these bug reports are helpful and we can work together to make this game the best it can be.
Nic B. said: [...] In addition, each section now has a checkbox to return to the old input method. Checking this on will replace the repeating section with a textbox. This functionality is not identical in every instance (i.e. Traits), but should give you access to the old data to avoid having to transpose it to the repeating fields [...] Yes! Thank you so much. This is a very good solution to the one thing I was afraid you may not be able to address. With this feature the first time I use something from my library I just check the boxes and the sheet is fine. Tahnks again! I will experiment with it over the weekend. Now I can concentrate on the great new look and feel of the sheet. I do find it much clearer and easier to read.
Thanks Nic, this is a vast improvement (lovely to wake up to!). I need to double-check but I think everything I spotted has been fixed. There have been a couple of niggling data losses from the overnight updates (other equipment for characters and some entries for weapon melee/ranged) but these should be easy to fix.

Edited 1680769889
@Nic B. Found a regression on the NPC sheet: On your previous version, the description for Special Rules automatically showed beneath the title. This has now gone, and the description is only visible if you go into edit mode. It would be really nice if it worked the same way as the Talents on the main PC version! The Starship sheet Talent section also does not show the description text if you click on the name. Thanks :-)

Edited 1680784109
Joe
Plus
Sheet Author
Thanks for the quick fixes. The NPC Character sheet now builds but seeing some odd issues in the attacks. Also Traits are not being populated
Joe
Plus
Sheet Author
Can we drag and drop Talents, etc into a character sheet and have it automatically add it with correct information?
I know it's not a bug, but I would really like to be able to print the sheet. I play both online and offline, and it's a pain in the neck to do all the double accounting. It doesn't have to be beautiful (it's not with D&D sheets), but it would really be awesome.

Edited 1680864288
Mirco
Plus
Now that my main issue with the new sheet is solved the sheet is growing on me. First of all, it looks great and is easy to read. One thing I just noticed: ( Edit : This was mentioned by Nic yesterday. I missed it, sorry) After entering the Talents and clicking the cogwheel to leave edit mod - when you click the name of the talents it displays the discription. Clicking again it closes. This is great. This works with focuses, too. While focuses are relativly free (looking at the rules) I have some agreements with my players on how a Focus could be used. I can write it down in the description. Love it! Minor bug : Item names in the equipment section seem clickable but do not open the description like with traits etc. Very minor bug : The sheet can not be turned to white. With the old sheet I needed that for readability, with the new sheet I would not usse it anyway.
This is getting better and better - all my previous issues seem to have been resolved! Although, on the NPC ship sheet, it would be handy to be able to see the traits (they're present on the other three variants). And while I like the black version of the sheet, a working white/light version would be handy for a number of people I know! Thanks and kudos to the coders :-)

Edited 1680951219
Mirco
Plus
Has anyone checked Compendium Sharing for the STA Core Rulebook? I think I have set up it correctly but my players can not see the entries in game. Any Suggestions? Thank you.

Edited 1680951645
Mirco
Plus
I found a workaround. If I use the Compendium "Star Trek Adventures" and not the compendium "Star Trek Adventure (Character Sheet Default)" it works fine. Mirco said: Has anyone checked Compendium Sharing for the STA Core Rulebook? I think I have set up it correctly but my players can not see the entries in game. Any Suggestions? Thank you.
I have a player with dyslexia in my game and the new font is unreadable to them. Any way to revert to the old font would be great.
Just found a broken link in the Compendium:
Would it be possible to make the character sheets readable on the mobile app?
We've just discovered a new bug: the PC starship task roller seems to be rolling a fixed number of dice regardless of what  the numbers to the right specify. In the current game i'm playing, this is always 2, but another is rolling 1 always.
I've also been able to reproduce the bug mentioned by Astronut, whereby the starship is always rolling 2 dice.
Astronut said: We've just discovered a new bug: the PC starship task roller seems to be rolling a fixed number of dice regardless of what  the numbers to the right specify. In the current game i'm playing, this is always 2, but another is rolling 1 always. if you change the sheet to npc ship sheet and then change the number of dice, then switch it back to ship sheet. it will use the number you set it to in npc sheet. but the buttons on the ship sheet don't do anything. you have to keep changing it to npc ship sheet to make changes to # of dice.. 
The reputation threshold for reputation rolls seems to be stuck at 12, no matter what you set the reputation too.
Hey folks, The cause of the ship sheet dice sticking has been identified and we're working on a patch to resolve it. We're also looking into the reputation threshold issue that Redfangs just noted. Thanks for your patience!
@Nic B. And... it's all fixed - brilliant!