Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Add a "See" Permission for Token Tooltips

Score + 14
Here we go again... the last thread was closed because it has not reached the 10 Vote goal in time... What I'd like to achieve with this is really simple: I want to have the "See" permission for token Tooltips, that way a GM can show Infos about that specific token (NPC or PC) to only specific players and not to everyone. IF a GM wants to have some Informations about a NPC he does not want the players to see, this would be the spot to write it down and have access to it as long as the token is there. Just put a "See" dropdown next to the Show Checkbox... that's all I want to see!
+1, I think this is useful. However,  you'd need more than just "See" to achieve what you want. Right now, tooltips are visible to anyone. Unlike other things (such as nameplate), tooltips aren't linked to the "In Player's Journals" permission. Maybe linking the two would be sufficient, although personally I think I'd want to give the tooltip its own list of players for visibility, as an option. Being able to see the public description on a sheet ("Fred the barbarian, a noted brawler with a heart of gold. And a memory for those who break their word.") is different from what I'd see as a tool tip ("A tall grey-eyed northerner in hides, with a ready smile").
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
The tooltip should have exactly the same visibility & edit controls as the bars, etc., 
My Intention is, that I have a token that has NO sheet attached to it, just cause it is not needed ;) I want to simply have some Information that I can place there and show to my players as I see fit... either to one / some of them or all... And yes, even if I share it with the see permission, I'd still need to check that box to even show it... Ken S. said: +1, I think this is useful. However,  you'd need more than just "See" to achieve what you want. Right now, tooltips are visible to anyone. Unlike other things (such as nameplate), tooltips aren't linked to the "In Player's Journals" permission. Maybe linking the two would be sufficient, although personally I think I'd want to give the tooltip its own list of players for visibility, as an option. Being able to see the public description on a sheet ("Fred the barbarian, a noted brawler with a heart of gold. And a memory for those who break their word.") is different from what I'd see as a tool tip ("A tall grey-eyed northerner in hides, with a ready smile").
Andrew R. said: The tooltip should have exactly the same visibility & edit controls as the bars, etc.,  Yes. But I fear that is not possible... I am also not sure why you want players to have the opportunity to edit a token tooltip. However it'd make sense thinking of some kind of inventory they take along with them as it could be a list of its contents...