Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Genre Categories/sub-catagories in "Looking for Group" thread

I realize that tagging your post or naming it appropriately  would cut down on some of the confusion, but I just spent a better part of an hour going through the Looking for Group thread, looking for AD&D. Using the "search" function turned up three. Using my perception of what people meant by their topic line, I found way more. Could there be Genre sub-threads to post it? maybe based on what gets tagged more frequently? Dungeons and Dragons  - 4E D&D  - 3.5 D&D  - AD&D1E Ghostbusters Mutants and Masterminds ShadowRun Star Wars Warhammer ' I'll play anything! ' or Fantasy Sci-Fi Mixed Genre I think that it could possibly help people find groups and groups find people more readily.
+1
heh, Kamen Rider...
The problem is that there is such a lot of RPGs and editions out there (3 for M&M, for example) that it'd be hard for it to be kept on top of and Roll20 to stay impartial.
I think maybe sub forum for game types like one for dnd, would be better.
The LFG forums should be a last resort.  The more people using the Looking for Group SYSTEM and giving feedback, the better.
Well, using that system, I see that there are only two AD&D games listed in the system. Does that mean there are only two registered through the system, tagged as looking for players? When I went through the forums manually, I found many more. That is why I suggested sub forums. If I search for D&D, I get all kinds of hits, but they range from 3.0 to D&DNext, in no particular order. Somewhere in there the AD&D may be listed..... How does the System need to be utilized for better responses for gamers looking for games and groups looking for gamers? Where should the feedback needed be posted?
There may only be two listed AD&D games at this time.  But the more people that use that system (and the feedback is welcome here) the easier it is to legitimately filter games.  The most basic problem with the forums in a looking for group setting is that it's always going to be arranged by recent responses... whereas the system can give you a time range. Finding more games on the forums mostly means people are undercutting their chances, PARTICULARLY if you are a mentor subscriber with the ability to have games you list be highlighted in the system.
Well, I will be mentioning this system on the forums I talk about roll20 (like on osrgaming.org) I will explain in advance the usefulness of this method vs. the "want ads" approach to randomly posting in the forums. 
How about a Looking for Players system for GMs to look for players? Like a classifieds section, with you preferences tagged, times/days available.
Might be easier to have a bunch of pre-defined system tags already there for a GM to just click off, or drop down box, that is required to be checked before the post can be submitted. Maybe drop the free forum box entirely and if its something not covered, have a suggestion link. This what I suggested on epic words and it worked out really well.
+1
OldSchoolChris said: How about a Looking for Players system for GMs to look for players? Like a classifieds section, with you preferences tagged, times/days available. This is how it works now...if you want to find more players, click the Looking For Players link on your campaign page and you create a "Looking for Players" entry that allows you to screen players that are looking for games.  You can put on the campaign details on the page.  The only bug (at least I think it's a bug) is that if you close the LFG you lose all your threads from the page when you reopen it.  IIRC Riley said he was planning on keeping it intact so you if you lose a player you can just turn LFG back on and you don't have to redo everything.  You can invite players directly when they post near their name. When you tag your campaign with the LFP option it gives suggestions as you type, so for instance mine used Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition and it came up with a Mutants and Masterminds 3e tag suggestion.  I was able to get four new players for my Bleach Anime M&M campaign in about two days.  I imagine if more people used the tool it would be even faster (I also make sure I get a response from players after they post to make sure they're going to stay involved). If anything I would argue the LFG forum is the worst way to find a game since you never know if it's already been filled up when you post and popular but "dead" campaigns, or campaigns that aren't open for players but created a lot of discussion, are most likely to fill the top of the forum.  It might be worth getting rid of completely or renaming it to "Campaign Discussion" or something to avoid confusion.
Lord Nikon said: Might be easier to have a bunch of pre-defined system tags already there for a GM to just click off, or drop down box, that is required to be checked before the post can be submitted. Maybe drop the free forum box entirely and if its something not covered, have a suggestion link. This what I suggested on epic words and it worked out really well. +1