Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Request: Turn off 3d dice at the campaign level, for all players

Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Can GMs please have an option to disable 3d dice for the campaign? They're pretty, but they're also laggy if you're rolling a lot of dice and in the case of secret rolls sent from player to GM (via API), the dice can still be seen which ruins the point of having the rolls be secret.

Edited 1410988165
Gauss
Forum Champion
What is the command (or description of how the script works) you are using where the dice are being rolled and should not be seen? Who can see the dice when this happens?
+1
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
I just tested this out with me/gm and two players. If the player triggering the hidden roll has their 3d dice turned on, that player will see a roll. The script in question is HoneyBadger's Power Cards: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1054686/script-p" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1054686/script-p</a>... using the --whisper| option for GM-only rolls.

Edited 1411009584
Gauss
Forum Champion
Could you describe what the process the script uses? If the GM is rolling the dice the player should not see it.
Scripts cannot trigger 3D dice. It is the inline dice in the macro being sent to chat that triggers the roll... which is then captured by the API and sent via a whisper from there.
A simple example... !api [[1d20]] This would trigger a 3D dice roll as soon as the macro is clicked, but it would not show up in chat because it starts with an !api script command. The results of the die roll are sent to the api, where the script then can do whatever it does.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
The player activates a macro which sends a roll result to the GM without the player seeing the results.

Edited 1411026201
Gauss
Forum Champion
Thanks for the explanation, I brought this up with Aaron and he mentioned there should be an alternative that prevents the player from seeing the 3d roll. Here is what I sent him: "From what I understand they are sending a command to the API but the inline roll is happening before the API is preventing the text output. Because of that the inline roll is happening on the 3d engine if that is enabled and the player sees the roll even if he does not see the text output. If instead the API told to roll "X" as a GM generated GM roll (or a GM self-whisper inline roll) then the player will never see anything as everything happens on the GM side. So: 1) The Player needs to be able to send a command to the API with the rolling information not in a /roll or [[inline]] format. 2) The Player or the API needs to to inform the GM that the player sent a GM roll (such as a whisper to the GM). 3) The API must perform the roll on as a GM generated roll. The Player cannot generate the roll because it will be seen via the 3D dice. So the real question: can the API trigger on a player event, strip information from that event, and then, using the stripped information, initiate an event on the GM client side?" If he doesn't come in with a script (he mentioned he might) then this line of thought may be useful to you. :)
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
If I were going to handle this, I'd come up with an alternate syntax for inline rolls, and have my script find expressions matching that syntax, then expand them with sendChat() calls and sub them into the message. Something like: !power --Sneak Roll| Sneak Check: ::1d20+3+5:: --Other Check|::1d20+5+2:: damage Then you could match those with something like: /::([^:]+)::/g And do some substitutions and sendChat()s to work get the right values in there.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
(too late to write a script tonight... maybe later this week... =D )
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Just keep in mind the script in question also has --whisper|self for a player to send stuff to themselves. I don't see dice rolls likely to happen there, but you never know....
Even if I make changes to the powercard script to make hidden rolls using some alternate form of inline roll syntax as Aaron suggested, I would still like to be able to turn off 3d Dice rolls at the campaign level. They're just too damned slow.