Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

webp files

did we ever get support for this format? i have two HUGE mp4 files i converted to use but they dont work :(
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Kefrem,  According to this Help Article Roll20 does support static webp files. 

Edited 1711644759
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Kefrem! Edit: Gauss' answer is better than mine. I had confused webp with webm. Derp. Webp does work, by all reports (I've never used it), but it takes a phenomenally long time to post-process them. An upload from start to finish can take hours, from what I have heard, and there's no clear message when their processing is finished. Also, how huge is huge? Maybe someone more experienced in animation uploading can be more informative, but I believe that there needs to be some wiggle room on the max file size to account for conversion on the Roll20 end. One of my hopes for Jumpgate eventually is that animated backgrounds will be better supported.
Kefrem said: did we ever get support for this format? i have two HUGE mp4 files i converted to use but they dont work :( So here is what you can do if your are looking to get animated images into your game. First of all WebM is not supported in animated form however WebP is though; when you export to this format it must be under 1000x1000 pixels and the smaller the file size the better. And when you upload the item to your game drag the file onto the map and upload it from there (Do not use the upload button its 50/50 to work)  then you have to leave your tab open while it uploads I've found time varies but you are looking at a 30+ minute wait time after that the image will be on your map/libary and animated like normally.  You can use Handbrake to convert MP4s to WebP 
This? <a href="https://handbrake.fr/" rel="nofollow">https://handbrake.fr/</a>
You can use Handbrake to convert MP4s to WebP I looked into it, I am not able to find where the WebP conversion is, it seems to only show MP4, MKV or WEBM