Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[D&D5E] Bi-weekly Saturdays 10:00am PST: Seeking Old School Players

What: I have returned to D&D and tabletop RPGs after an absence of 20 years, and I have been assembling a group of mature D&D players, aged 30+ or 40+. We are looking for like-minded and mature adults who played D&D during its earlier versions and are looking for a similar experience with the new 5E system. This will be a casual and relaxed group, but we want to be serious about making a commitment to a regular schedule and hopefully enjoying a long-term campaign. In our recent recruiting effort, we assembled a fantastic roster of potential players, but session days and times proved to be a deal-breaker. So, currently, we have two veteran players and a provisional player who is new to RGPs and D&D. When: Bi-weekly Saturdays at 10:00 am PST for up to four hours. However, you must have consistent availability on Saturdays from 10:00 am to 6:00pm PST. We do not want player absences or cancellations, and players need flexibility in case we need to move a start time, run back-to-back Saturdays due to holiday conflicts, or potentially move to a weekly game. NOTE: If you have any uncertainty about being free on Saturdays or your ability or willingness to make a commitment, please do not apply. Requirements: We will use Roll20 and the digital character sheets for D&D 5E. We will use the built-in Roll20 interface for live audio, and video is optional. Start Date: To be determined. We plan to hold one or two initial sessions to validate our group and make sure that everyone is familiar with the 5E rules. Desired Players: All players will be vetted before officially joining the group. Adults of 30+ years of age with an established career and suitable free time and flexibility would be ideal. You must be mature, extremely reliable, willing to make a commitment to the group, and able to get along well with other people and personalities. NOTE: If you are an intensely competitive gamer, if you tend to dominate sessions, if you focus on min/maxing rather than playing a unique and compelling character, if you are into comedy campaigns with constant joking, or if you are a stickler about the rules and pointing out anything that you find disagreeable, then this group is not for you. Rules: This group will be using the new D&D 5E rules. I will keep things simple and manageable, relying mostly on the basic rules as a starting point. We will use the Player’s Handbook and other books as needed to round out character creation and to help our campaign grow and evolve. We will be generally faithful to the 5E rules, but I will reserve the right to make judgment calls, interpretations, and adjustments in the interest of fun, fairness, keeping things moving, and maintaining realism. NOTE: Evil characters or transformations into evil characters are outlawed. All characters must be neutral or good, and we are looking to form a cohesive group of PCs who are compatible and will not have seriously conflicting interests or beliefs. Campaign Setting: We will be using a custom campaign setting, and it will likely evolve and grow as we move along and as we need to meet the group’s needs. This will be a PG-13 group, so we will not be doing anything particularly dark or controversial. Our intention is to feature a good balance between role playing and roll play. This is not a sandbox game where anything goes, but we also want to leave room for improvisation and flexibility. How to Apply: Post a message here or send me a PM with your age, an introduction, and some background to help us understand why you are a good fit for the group.
I am 100% on board with this, and have been seeking a serious group for over a year on roll20. Count me in, committed, and enthused as hell to join this. I'll play a human fighter from the human lands. I've played and ran D&D since 1979 with 1st edition, and glad to see the Old School mentality is still around. I am tired of running and playing in games with no call no show, people that drift in and out, and people that do not play the role they agreed to play when they signed on. I'm disciplined, and can bring that to my role. I like the classic characters, and I can work well with a team. It's your world, let's experience it.
Thanks, James. We're definitely looking for committed players, and that old school experience is highly valuable. To offer a bit more information for anyone else considering this group, here are two more details. Character Races and Classes: There will be some limitations on character classes and races based on the details of the campaign world and in order to keep the game simple and closer to the 5E basic rules. Humans, elves, half-elves, dwarves, and halflings will all be playable races, and the other 'advanced' races will not. Playable character classes will be clerics, fighters, rogues, wizards, rangers, and druids. Other 'advanced' character classes will be excluded. Adventures: I will attempt to create completely original adventures with an emphasis on crafting ideas and plots that will play to the characters’ backgrounds and personalities, along with the overall story of the campaign setting.
If I was going to be a player this is the campaign for me, unfortunately it would be hard to meet the scheduling, although the every other week does sound inviting, but I run a Game every Sat Night starting at 7.30 PM CST. If I was able to play it would be an old Wizard, who through some catastrophe, found himself weakened back to a fledgling acolyte. Someone whose mind and body were wracked with some evil power creating simply a Level 1 Human Wizard, who is an old man... About myself, I've run a Real Life D&D game for the last 40 years!
Hi, Ajax. Yes, I don't know whether it would be feasible for you to play for four hours early Saturday afternoon your time, and then run your group in the evening. I like your level of experience, though, so I will keep you in mind. I realize that Saturdays can be tough for many people, though, so it may take a bit of time to get the right players.

Edited 1411083931
This sounds great. I'm 29 yo, 15+ years of experience. I want to play a character a bit against the grain - not a difficult guy - I was thinking like an old Paladin, balding and fat, but compassionate and wise instead of BURN THE SINNERS type. Edit: I noticed you said no Paladin. A Cleric, in that case.
Thanks to those of you have responded so far. For those responding in the future, please note that I'm hoping to get a bit more background on you, your past experience, and how you typically go about playing in a group.
I sent you a PM earlier. I hope it covered what you wanted. Character wise, I can play anything. I enjoy Rogues, Rangers, and Wizards the most, although my favorite character ever was a Half Orc Fighter in 2nd Edition.

Edited 1411149363
Greg
Pro
I just wanted to bump this up a bit to keep it in view for those who may be in our target demographic and looking for a great group of mature and dedicated players. See the OP for details. I hope to hear from more of you soon!
Any others interested in this group?

Edited 1411241839
I am highly interested. I'm 40 and been playing D&D since the red box. Been in the military for 17 yrs and haven't played consistently for the last 10. Played in a Pathfinder campaign for about a yr which ended about a yr ago. I have only played 1 session of 5th ed when it was still in the play test phase with the group I was playing PF with. So not very familiar with the 5th rules. Characters I like to play. Rangers and rogues are my favorite and I like to have characters that fill a role for the group. Your day/time would work for me as I am currently overseas and the start time for me would be 8pm. When do plan on kicking this off? If your interested in having me along please let me know.
Hi, Kenneth. Sure, I'll send you a PM with a few follow-up questions and a bit more background.
Greg, I'm a 29 year old kid who likes long walks on the bea--oh sorry, wrong ad. Seriously though, I am not as experienced as other veterans, but I've been playing very consistently since fourth edition came out in 2008. I have a similar style is yours where I don't enjoy min/maxing or an attempt to overpower a character then retrofit a story to it. Usually I DM but I would like to actually play in fifth edition so I can give their understanding of everything. I can commit to those times, and if not I will definitely give advance notice and be reliable. Currently I don't have my heart set on playing a specific class, so I'm willing to try and fit the needs of the group.
I just wanted to put in a last call for any old school candidates who are looking for a great, mature group and would meet our scheduling needs and be a good fit. Please review the OP and contact me if you're interested.