Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Making round character tokens

So, I am slowly learning the user interface and I love the simplicity of dragging an image onto the tabletop to make tokens. I have also (miracle of miracles) taught myself how to make tokens invisible using gimp. However, I would like to make round, portrait-style tokens and can't figure out how to use gimp to make the images round. Does anyone here know of a tutorial they could point me to to demonstrate how to do this? I've tried searching for one, but my Google-fu has failed me. Thanks in advance, for any pointers you can offer to the technologically impaired. :)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Jason, while this is not pertaining to roll20 itself, it is a commonly asked question. You will want to take a look at: <a href="http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=tokentool" rel="nofollow">http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=tokentool</a> and see if that fits your needs
Indeed- earlier II found the very link you posted. Unfortunately, Token Tool does not work with the latest version of Java, which is what I have installed on my computer. Thanks for you reply, none the less. :)

Edited 1411566554
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
In GIMP, you can use the Ellipse Select Tool to get a circle. If you turn on grid and snap to grid, it's not too difficult to get a perfect circle instead of an ellipse and then invert your selection and delete everything else (or copy/paste your selection without inverting it). And if you want to use a set of concentric circles to create a border, you can always grow the selection out (under the select menu) by the size you would like. There may be an easier way to do it; I'm no expert with GIMP, but that's one way I've found.
I use tokentool and I have the latest Java. It works fine. Here's a set of my Shadowrun tokens: <a href="https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8BKLwUN0UTzOTcwYkZKMW8yUzA&usp=sharing" rel="nofollow">https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8BKLwUN0UTzOTcwYkZKMW8yUzA&usp=sharing</a>
Diana P.- that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the tip. Eric V.- the download link specifically states that tokentool does not work with Java 7. Maybe they have updated since then and it works correctly now. In any event, I cannot even get it to download from the link.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Jason, I have java 7 update 45 (64bit) and it loads and runs fine on my computer (Win 7). I have the zip of it and can toss it in my google drive if you want it.
Gimp seems to be working great- now that I know what I'm doing with it. Thanks anyway, Pat. :)
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
You're welcome and I'm glad it's working for you. I figured out that way of doing circles about a week _after_ I made a map which had a round marble table in the center of a round room...... *sigh* :)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
gimp is awesome for making tokens. For a border you can just make an oversized background texture then lay your round image on it then use the ellipse tool to select your token with the texture surrounding it. Lets you be the one to decide how thick or thin the border is.
Great tips all around. Thanks, guys!

Edited 1411582649
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
In gimp, I like to make borders on my round tokens using Filters -&gt; Alpha to Logo -&gt; 3D Outline... You will need to duplicate the layer and turn the visibility of the one that isn't selected off before you run it: Then you just turn off the drop shadow layer, and turn on your token layer You can always add a new drop shadow to the border if you want one. You can also do a simple border by right clicking the layer, choosing Alpha to Selection , then go to Select -&gt; Border and just fill with a color: Hope that helps. Cheers!
Another great tip- thanks, Aaron!
Jason W. said: Diana P.- that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the tip. Eric V.- the download link specifically states that tokentool does not work with Java 7. Maybe they have updated since then and it works correctly now. In any event, I cannot even get it to download from the link. That download link info is old; they haven't updated the web page to reflect the app changes (per their forums). It should not have any problems running with the latest version of Java. Try a right+click Save As to download if left clicking isn't working. Token Tool cuts down on a lot of work...just drag and drop the image into the app and scroll button to resize the image. Save, move on to the next one...really quick!
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Token Tool is my method of choice for making pogs quickly and easily. I've also done the Gimp route for PC pogs.