Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Player has X-Ray vision somehow

I'm using dynamic lighting in the campaign I'm running, and for the most part it's been great. Players had to work their way through a hellish dungeon with only candles to light their path, so the "Emit Light / All Players Can See" function came in quite handy. Problem: One of the players is an Elf with Darkvision...to simulate this, I gave him a 120' vision range which he did not share with other players, the thought being that he would see things they didn't, report it through RP, then etc. Instead, he ended up seeing through every dynamic lighting obstacle on the map...through every wall within his vision radius. Funny thing is, it was /only him/. None of the other players could see through any walls, and the only difference between the elf's token and the others was the vision range. Why has he somehow acquired x-ray vision? Even when I reduced the vision range to match the 5' the other players had, his token could /still/ see through walls he was up against. Once again, just his. I deleted the character sheet, deleted the token, and remade both...no effect. Every new token still had X-ray vision. On another note, if anyone can help: Is there a way to make shadows instead of pitch darkness? I tried to make a temple with light coming in through the windows in a kind of 'god ray' effect, but instead just put a bunch of solid black stripes or pure darkness across my map. Is there a way to tone down the shadow intensity at all?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Please send me a join link and I will take a look at it.  To do shadows, use the following light setting: radius of the shadow / 1  - Gauss
Link sent...and the shadow thing works, thanks...I just need to figure out how to get it to behave correctly.
More or less resolved.
Gauss
Forum Champion
I was unable to duplicate it. As per our discussion if it continues have your player post a screenshot.  - Gauss
Used Dynamic Lighting for the first time friday. Awesome feature but unless I did something wrong, looks like there is a bug somewhere. One or two of my players could see through walls and even found a secret passage this way :-/ I am not sure if the block light feature is enough or if it has to be added to Fog of War ?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Dungeon Master, could you please have your users go to&nbsp; <a href="http://supportdetails.com/" rel="nofollow">http://supportdetails.com/</a> and post the details (except IP address)? Also, could you send me a join link so I can come take a look?&nbsp; Finally, if your users could supply screenshots that would help also. - Gauss
Also. Rules wise if the character who has dark vision, would only work if he was standing outside of the allowed candle light range.&nbsp;
Gauss
Forum Champion
Lord Nikon, which rules? So far as I know no game system has been indicated and not all game systems use the same rules for the ability called 'darkvision'. :) - Gauss
Gauss said: Lord Nikon, which rules? So far as I know no game system has been indicated and not all game systems use the same rules for the ability called 'darkvision'. :) - Gauss Oh my bad. I thought he said D&amp;D.
Hello I am back on this thread. I am indeed playing AD&amp;D1 but I am not really getting what you mean about dark vision rules. They wouldn't allow XRay vision anyway :-p I have to renew my subscription to the option, we are gaming friday evening not sure yet I'll activate Dynamic Lighting yet. Gauss, I'll send you a link so that you can check the problem if possible. The problem occurred in the A Zone.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Dungeon Master, as I am sure you are aware, AD&amp;D1 didn't use darkvision. Basically, it allows a creature to see in the dark up to a certain distance (usually 60 feet or ~20meters) but the vision is black and white.&nbsp; - Gauss