Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Basic HTML/other formatting output to chat

Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Current Situation There is no option for formatting output sent to chat unless you use the API to send a /direct message, and as a result, this is a feature only open to mentor level subscribers. There are many examples of this usage including the excellent Powercards script which allows users to output large amounts of content to the chat in a readable format. Without this formatting the same content is significantly more difficult to read. The Proposal Allow users, at whatever subscription level you feel is appropriate for this feature, to be able to natively, and without having to use an API script, use some basic HTML (or some other formatting language or system) to format their output to chat. With the character sheet system in place this would allow sheet authors to make significant improvements to the output from their roll buttons without having to direct users to load an API script on their campaigns....not to mention allowing users to craft much more readable custom macros/token actions should they choose to. The End Goal It should be possible to produce formatted and nicely presented chat output, without the use of an API script. Advanced features (for example multiple rolls, custom crit highlighting, etc...) would still be handled by the API.
The main reason we originally only let this be open to the API was because we were slightly cautious about letting people control the "look" of their chat messages. i.e. a clever player could whisper a message and with the right types of formatting make it seem like a whisper from a GM or something. I think we could probably open this up to some degree and allow some limited HTML use, but it will probably never be to the extent that we allow it with the API...but if your only goal is a little formatting with boxes and coloring it should be doable.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
That sounds awesome!

Edited 1417273922
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Awesome! I dont think we need much more than some basic formatting and styling options (ideally from the char sheet stylesheets as well as inline) so that larger output looks better and can be formatted in a way that firstly allows for multiline output in a single chat command (to prevent player name/avatar from breaking up output from a single button press/macro) and so that we can style section headings and so on.
+1 This is an awesome idea that would make macros so much more readable. Even if full HTML support is not feasible, simple foreground color, bold, italics, and underlining would be a step in the right direction.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Markdown styling in chat messages, mayhaps? Markdown is already being used for the campaign description, after all.
This is awesome. I would love to see the 5E Character sheet formating its output in a similar way to the power cards!

Edited 1421010573
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
We now have this on Dev in two ways: Roll Templates, which are a way for sheet authors to create stylized listings of rolls that match the system and sheet they've created. Basic text formatting for all text chat messages, including bolding, italicizing, adding links, and even embedding images in your chat messages, via Markdown.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Weeeeeeeeee.....erm i mean that is super news...good work all!
Actoba said: Weeeeeeeeee.....erm i mean that is super news...good work all! Now it's up to you to make an amazing 5E roll template...haha
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Riley D. said: We now have this on Dev in two ways: Roll Templates, which are a way for sheet authors to create stylized listings of rolls that match the system and sheet they've created. Basic text formatting for all text chat messages, including bolding, italicizing, adding links, and even embedding images in your chat messages, via Markdown. Wow. I saw you had made a wiki page about Roll Templates last night... I just didn't understand the implications.
The new update with this functionality is out today!