Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

LF Players, Homebrew one shot / phase-based combat test, newbies ok, tonight 8pm EST / midnight UTC

Edited 1413647164
LFG listing: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/18078/one-shot-plus-phase-combat-test" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/18078/one-shot-plus-phase-combat-test</a> I'm in a bit of a roleplaying mood this weekend, and I've been mulling over a problem I've encountered in my homebrew, as well as in other RPGs. I've noticed that, whenever something complicated and turn-based starts -- like combat -- a player will take their turn, and by the time their next turn comes around, they've stopped paying attention and are fiddling with their iPad. I could just ban electronics at the table, but that doesn't solve the real problem: players have to wait too long between their turns. So, tonight I'd like to run a little one-shot. The story will be pretty straightforward, because while I hope people will roleplay, the main metagame purpose is to try a couple different ways of divvying up combat rounds to see if it feels faster in traditional turns or with turns broken into shorter phases. The system is mid-crunch, more complex than Savage Worlds or Numenera, but doesn't require calculus or anything. :P It's probably somewhere between D&D 5 and D&D 4 in combat and similar to Savage Worlds outside of combat. The setting is medieval fantasy with fairly high magic. The game emphasizes customization and making your own archetype, rather than the more traditional choosing an existing archetype. "I'm going to try playing an enchanter who rides an undead horse of his own making," rather than, "I'm going to be The Wizard!" Since this is a one-shot, I'll provide pre-generated characters of low- to mid-level, in order to give players a few options without overwhelming them. Unless a past player of mine volunteers, everyone will be new, so new players are welcome! If you've never done an RPG before, that's fine, too. I've taught probably half the people I've played with. Content will be kept PG. I will enforce this so that nobody is made uncomfortable. Audio may be over Skype if roll20's built-in doesn't work for everybody. So be prepared to switch to Skype if necessary. Respond here or at the LFG listing !
Hi I am actually interested in playing your campaign. I have little RP experience, but understand for how combat and systems work
Cool! Glad to have you. I'll message you a join link. I'm still setting it up, and it doesn't start for 8 hours, so of course there's not much to see yet. :P

Edited 1413650800
I don't really have any first hand role playing experience, but I'd be happy to give this a try.
Cool! I'll send you a message with a join link. You can peek in if you like, but it'll be pretty boring until closer to 8:00 when we'll start!
I'm going out for a little while. I'll send invites when I get back if we get more players. :)
Have 3 players who've asked to join so far. Assuming all of them show up, I have room for 1 or 2 more.
I now have 4 players who've asked to join. If anyone else is interested, I can whip up a 5th pregen or put you as an alternate in case someone doesn't show up. Thanks to the two who replied on the thread and the two who posted on the campaign!