Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Token Proportion. Need advice.

So I have this problem of getting Token proportions to look right. Sometimes I can get them but sometimes not, and I have no idea what it is causing it. My dwarf and Halfling player are well proportioned, but my Goblin player looks as tall as any human. Any attempts I make to resize the image in paint.net fail. I tried adding space above his head, but he ended up looking squashed. if I resize in Roll20 then the token hitbox is wonky and makes it trickier to move properly. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I have paint.net, gimp, and Inkscape if any of those make a difference in how to get the proportions under control.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
If I were doing this, I'd make a 280x280 pixel image I gimp with a transparent background, then import the goblin image as a layer and size it to be "right" in that 280x280 square, then export it as a PNG.
Will try it. Question: Any reason for 280x280 in particular?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
It's the recommended size per tile for a token. I only know this because it came up recently in this thread: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1278798/new-art-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1278798/new-art-</a>... I had been using 150x150, but having the larger size will be good.
Ether
Marketplace Creator
The canvas size should always be square, or the proportions will wind up squished/stretched to make the image fit on the grid. 280x280 is recommended*, but yeah, unless you're doing pixel art, the exact size isn't as important as the fact that it's square. *Reasons for this include accommodating for zoomed in maps, larger tiles, and spells like Enlarge Person. (Although goblins are Small, so the latter doesn't really apply to them so much.)
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ether said: The canvas size should always be square, or the proportions will wind up squished/stretched to make the image fit on the grid. 280x280 is recommended*, but yeah, unless you're doing pixel art, the exact size isn't as important as the fact that it's square. I think so long as the token is sized to an integer number of tiles (1x1, 1x2, 2x3, etc), it's fine. It will almost always be square, but sometimes a rectangle just make sense.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Suggestion: Put the Roll20 unit dimension in the file name so you don't forget: Example: "Door 1x2.jpg"
Gauss
Forum Champion
Roll20 grid squares are 70x70 pixels (at 100% zoom). Creating an image at 280x280 will handle most zoom and resizing (such as if you zoom to 200% and make it 2x2 squares instead of 1x1 due to something like "enlarge" being cast upon the target).
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Stephen S. said: Suggestion: Put the Roll20 unit dimension in the file name so you don't forget: Example: "Door 1x2.jpg" Good thinking!