Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5E group interviewing for DM spot

Edited 1414296591
Will
Pro
Hello all! We are a group of D&D veterans currently playing 4th Edition on Sundays, and we would like to start a 5E session on Saturday afternoon/ evening (every other week). I do not want to commit to running another campaign, so we are looking for an experienced, imaginative DM who will use the Roll20 map building feature. We need a little more than a blank battle map with rocks and trees drawn in. In exchange you can expect reliable players who do not have interpersonal issues and work/ play very well together. Our group consists of 4 dedicated players from our 4E group that show up every week on time. Three of us have been together for over three months (two of us have been playing tabletop rpgs together for 7 years). I have already created a campaign, so the game will have access to all the mentor perks (in case the DM does not have that status). We also have our own private Teamspeak server (we do not use webcams). Here are some screenshots from my 4E campaign. The screenshots were all taken after the party had cleared out the nasties, so there are no monsters present unfortunately. The group's waiting room: 100% zoom One of the early camp encounters: 60% zoom Another camp encounter: 80% zoom The party's home town: 20%zoom Their first dungeon: 20% zoom Second Floor: 10% zoom Third Floor: 10% zoom The Trades District of the City of Athkatla in Amn (Forgotten Realms): 10% zoom Took me hours to make this map, and I think we used it in game for maybe 30 mins total >.< We would really like to play in a quality campaign. You do not need to be a 5th edition guru (we are just starting out too), but you need to have experience DMing and using roll20. If you would like to apply for the position, please PM me your qualifications and some quick screenshots of your work and we will try and setup a time for an interview.
Very nice maps, I know what you mean as many games here have poor maps. Word of advice though, it's hard to find a reliable DM here, let alone one that takes time to craft beautiful visuals. Are you guys open to playing on weeknights?

Edited 1414315569
Will
Pro
Unfortunately no. We all have full time jobs and that limits our time during the week. Every other Saturday is our only availability. Our group currently includes two GMs so we know how it goes, however we are patient and can wait for the right canditate to come along.
Honestly, you guys should move away from your dependence on maps. It might be all well and good for you and for 4e. But "has maps", and "quality" are not the same thing.
Gold
Forum Champion
Billy, the original post spent many lines and many screenshots saying they want nice maps. How about let them look for the game they want? I didn't see Bryce in your many LFG threads telling you to move away from the kind of games you said you wanted to play.

Edited 1414315503
Will
Pro
Thank you Gold. I understand that we have pretty high standards, however that is the standard that I hold my own game too. I have no interest in playing in a text based or "mind's-eye" theater game. Nor do I want to see maps drawn with the "paint" tool on the spot. The GM we're are looking for does not have to meet or exceed the standards I have, but they need to be close to it (my own players tell me that I go overboard on a regular basis with the maps). I do not think it is unreasonable of me to expect a GM to meet those standards when he is getting a very reliable and dedicated group of players (as a GM myself, I treasure reliable players that don't flake out after a few sessions). I would not put 12-20 hours of prep time in each week for my 4E session if I didn't feel that the players were worth it.
Bump

Edited 1414514108
wow, bryce.. that's a lot of prep work. but the results are obviously worth it. i'm curious what time/zone you guys want to play on sats, and if you're interested in another player for the 5E game, if and when it gets started?
We are a smattering of NA timezones (MST, EST). We have not nailed down the exact time yet (depends on the potential DM's availability). We will most likely recruit 1-2 other players once we have a DM.
Gold said: How about let them look for the game they want? I didn't see Bryce in your many LFG threads telling you to move away from the kind of games you said you wanted to play. So when i'm the one offering opinions it's bad. But when you do the same thing to me, it's fine?
Billy, please take your drama elsewhere. It is unwanted in this thread.
There's a roll20 map building feature? What time zone are you guys? I have a game that goes until 7 pm EST.
Bump
Just in case anyone finds this thread buried deep within the folds of the LFG board, be advised that the group has found their DM. (Spoiler alert: it's me.)