Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Grid vertical stretch?

Edited 1415042573
Josiah B.
Sheet Author
I have noticed this for a while but never really asked about it before. But when I have a map, unless i am zoomed as far as I can go, or if i am zoomed in just enough. The map seems to overflow. As you can see I have made this happen and drew a shape. Now zooming in a bit seems to take it away. \ Is this a glitch?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
It's a known bug. It happens horizontally as well. I think HoneyBadger dug into it quite a bit a few months ago. If I recall correctly, it's purely a display issue.

Edited 1415118950
Yes, Aaron is correct that this is a known issue and purely a display/visual bug.
Purely visual? Only until you put tokens down in that space and then change your view point and they dissappear....
Yeah, it's not just visual. You can actually lose tokens that way. Plus it totally effs with my OCD. >_<

Edited 1415202042
Ah good point. My apologies as I had forgotten that bit about the tokens. I had merely meant that it wasn't actually changing the dimensions the map was set to (as in, if you went into the page settings they would still read the correct dimensions).
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
So, the losing of tokens, how does that happen? (I get the effs with OCD bit already! =D )
If you put a token in the stretched space, when you move your view enough for the stretched space to disappear, the tokens disappear too. If you move the view to where the stretch come back so do the tokens, but if you aren't in that perfect spot, you cant do anything with those tokens without selecting everything on the layer and moving it all. That of course can put tokens off the map in other directions.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
So, the tokens end up off the actual map? It's kind of like you are folding a paper map when it's in this view, and whatever marks you make in the the space end up on the blotter instead of the paper. I suppose if you pulled the location of those tokens via the API, their coordinates would be outside the boundaries of the page.

Edited 1415239283
Gauss
Forum Champion
The way the map view works is that the map is effectively infinite in all directions but you only see a section of the map. Because of this objects can be moved to off of the map through a number of means (including this bug). Example: Click on the table area and then hit Ctrl+A. Now (with the grid active) you can move all of the objects on that layer. If you move the group of objects far enough you can start moving them off of the visual section of the page. If you expand the size of the page you will see the missing objects if they went off to the right or bottom of the page. If they went to the top or left the only way to get the objects back will be to hit Ctrl+A again and move all of the objects in the layer. Another way to think of this: The page is just like a picture with a frame. Some frames will obscure part of the picture and you can adjust the picture to change what is shown.