Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Macro's and "emote as selected token"

Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
Hello. I have an idea for a couple of new commands. I spend a lot of time pondering on the uses of macro's and how to better utilize them in my games. One issue I've come up with is that macro's with "Show as Token Action" work less than stellar with commands such as /em or /as. The first issue is that /em will emote as the person selected in the chat drop-down, and not necessarily the character the macro is tied to. The other one is that /as will write things as whomever the GM has selected in said drop-down list, but this naturally doesn't work for players. As it should, I'm not arguing that. My suggestion is that we introduce /et and /at, short for "Emote as Token" and "As Token". They should work the same way as the commands from which they derive their names, but only if the user has a selected token and command over that token. Not having a token selected, or not having command of that token should return an error-message. Thank you for your time.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
/as does not speak as the character you have selected from the dropdown, it speaks as a character given by the first parameter to the command. "/as Frej Hello world" will produce " Frej: Hello world" (with no character avatar) regardless of there being a character named "Frej" or what you have selected in the speaking as dropdown. The command is useful for quick one-off characters you don't want to bother making a sheet for, but less useful for existing characters as it doesn't display the character's avatar in chat. (If you don't mind missing the avatar, though, it works fine.) You can use characters with multiple words in the name by quoting the name: /as "Frej B." Hello world While it doesn't help your players, you can create an "emote as token" macro for the NPCs with the /emas command. /emas functions the same as /as except, obviously, it emotes as the given character rather than speaking as the character. Something like: /emas "@{selected|token_name}" ?{Emote}
Wow, Thanks for this bit of info.... it had been bugging me to no end as a DM to have to change the "as" dropdown menu to emote as teh selected token (for attack rolls and the like).
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .