Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting issues

I am creating Dynamic Lighting for my dungeon. I create a new page and check the boxes for Dynamic - Enabled and Lighting - Enforce Line of Sight in the Page Settings I drag and drop my map onto the Map and Background layer I resize my map to match the grid (Align to Grid) I change to Dynamic Lighting and then select the Polygon/Line I draw my polyline around the edges of the dungeon room stopping at the doorways (right mouse clicking to end my line) I then try and draw a new line that crosses the doorway so I can later remove it later when the players open the door. When I switch back to the Select/Move icon to test that I can remove the "door" polyline it wont let me select it. So I draw a box around the door polyline to try and select it, again using the Select/Move tool, and it selects all the polylines I have created and not just the door polyline. It is like it is merging all of the polylines even though they are separate pieces. I have done this many times before without an issue so I am not sure why it is happening all of a sudden. I tried it both Firefox and Google Chrome and I get the same effect in both. Anyone else having this issue or am I doing something wrong?

Edited 1416934366
Gauss
Forum Champion
Regarding directly trying to select the lines, they can be a bit finicky at zoom levels lower than 100%. Please make sure you are at 100%. Regarding dragging a selection box to select the lines, most likely what is happening is you are drawing multi-segment lines for your walls. When you do this they create objects that are much larger than the lines are. In the good practice image I have drawn two separate lines. In the bad practice image the two lines were drawn as one, multi-segment, line. The scalers (little blue boxes at the corners) indicate the size of the object. When you try to grab the object via dragging a selection box it selects the multi-segment line because the object size is larger. In general, you should try to draw single segment lines in any area where you will have other lines that you need to select (such as doors). Good practice: Bad practice: If you need further assistance with how to best use Dynamic Lighting lines please send me a join link.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi, Jeff. I haven't been able to reproduce what you're describing. I'm able to select a "door" connector piece between two polygon/lines. I also tried it at several different zoom levels because I have heard some people were having trouble selecting lines at low zoom but again I had no issues.

Edited 1416935231
It was the Zoom level because when I went back out to 100% it worked perfectly and before I was zoomed into 20% because the dungeon is so huge. Thanks for the fast response and advice. @Steve if you want to try and reproduce it try creating the dynamic lighting lines at 20% zoom first and then try and select the door line. That is what I did. Jeff