Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Let players use character names and other aliases for chat

Ixnay
KS Backer
Currently, chat uses the first name from the account. This is fine as long as everyone has a different first name. Also, I normally like to call players by the character names when I am speaking in character and by their real names when it is out of character.
The need for better distinction between In Character and Out of Character chat is there, I think. Voice/video chat works good for general chatting but having the ability to have a strictly In Character area is very nice.
You can select which PC you want to speak as in the chat. Below the textbox is an "As: " dropdown box.
I don't see a way to chat as "Thrull" instead of "David (GM)". The As box only has my name available. Am I missing something?
Add Characters in the Journal
Add Characters in the Journal Just as a follow-on to what David said, you can speak as ~any~ character that has been added to the journal, not just Player Characters. I assume this is only for GMs (actual players are probably limited to Player Characters in their journal, but I haven't tested that yet.)
Thanks for the info. I had not used that tab, yet.
Add Characters in the Journal Just as a follow-on to what David said, you can speak as ~any~ character that has been added to the journal, not just Player Characters. I assume this is only for GMs (actual players are probably limited to Player Characters in their journal, but I haven't tested that yet.) I haven't thoroughly tested it, but the way it seems to me is that players can speak as anyone from the Journal you give them control as, so if you give them the reigns of an NPC, they can impersonate them.