Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Way of the Magi -Game concept

Not sure if there is a table top rpg like this or not. But what about mage only, pathfinder/d&d rule base game. Where every character plays a mage, and the style of magic the player uses would be unique to each spellcaster. It would focus on magic dueling with enemy spell casters, and dealing with mythical creatures in combat, or creative means. there would not be a wizard, sorcerer, cleric, druid. Instead there would just be the Mage. Each magi is unique in how he/she uses magic. -Magi draw power from a pool of magic called spell points. Each spell the magi casts cost a number of spell points depending on the strength of the spell being cast. Once the magi uses all his spell points he cannot cast any more spells untill he rests. -Magi cast spontaneously, however they may only cast from a list of prepared spells they have selected for that day. -When a Magi increases in power (levels up) he/she must choose between increasing how many spells they know, can prepare, how many spell points they have, and there spell power. As well as additional powers they may get from leveling. -A Mages power is not determined by there int, wis, or cha, for each spell caster wields magic in unique ways. Instead it is based on a unit called spell power, which directly effects; spell damage, duration, potency, and difficulty. However other factors play a part as well. -The 8 ways of the Magi. Just as a wizard chooses a school of magic to specialize in so does the magi, However the magi does not choose opposed schools. Spells cast from the Mages preferred school cost less spell points and are more potent. The magi also chooses a "domain" from within the school of magic. Example: Evocation-fire,cold,force. Necromancy-reanimation,decay. These subschools would grant bonus spells, powers, and bonuses specific to that school. Of course we have the Universal magi. All spells cost less spell points but do not gain bonuses and they do not get a "domain" -Implements are objects used by magi to focus there magic through. These objects can be a variety of things but depending on the object, have unique effects and bonuses on the spells cast through them. A Magi without his implement must make a check in order to seccsesfully cast the spell, for without somthing to focus his magic through, he must maintain perfect concentration. Implements include: wand,staff,ring,bracelet,necklace or pendant. More exotic implements could be possible but the implement must be able to be wielded or displayed in the open in order to focus magic through it. If an implement is lost or destroyed a new one can be created with a simple ritual that takes X amount of time.- more powerful implements exist that provide greater bonuses. -Spells have a base spell point cost, damage or effect, range, area of effect, casting time, duration, and DC. A Magi can cast a spell in a few differnt ways. Simple, just as the spell is no other effects. Empowered, by using more spell points the magi can cause his spell to become stronger by expending more magical energy into the spell to make it stronger, bigger, last longer. Each of these effects would cost more spell points and potentially increase the casting time of the spell as well. The magi can expend a great deal of magic this way to create a very large powerfulpowerful spell at the cost of a great deal of spell points. The more points you use to increase a spell the more it'll take to increase. IE first improvement 1 point, second 2nd points, 3rd 4 points, and so on. A great deal of homebrew would have to be put into working on every available spell to the magi. -Combat would be a mixture of raw casting power, and clever tactics. A new counterspell/dueling system would allow two magi to duel back and forth countering and "dispelling" before a spell would even reach them. A kind of spell craft roll, made by each player would take place when a Magi is trying to deflect/dispell/reflect an incoming spell. Only targeted spells could be dispelled in this way however. An area or non target specific spell such as a fireball, fogcloud, or earthquake doesn't directly target another magi, and thus cannot be dispelled in this way. Things like spellpower, spell points, implments all come into effect when determining how powerful of a spell a Magi could deflect or dispell. And while the magi focus primarily on magic there are other npc/creatures that are Melee based and such many spells can be used to create armor/weapons for a Magi to defend himself or attack another magi. This is how I imagine the magi stats to look like. HP, AC, Saves, Attack Bonus, Spell Power, spellpoints, spells prepared. a Magi would most likely have a very low attack bonus and AC, but by conjuring some magical armor, a shield and a sword, these bonus would improve, and depending on the amount of spell points used the armor and weapons could be simple and give small bonuses to incredibly powerful magical items. This is just an idea iv had floating around, if you actually took the time to read it all please tell me what you think? Thoughts, ideas, suggestions. And if you really liked the idea, let me know and you could help me work on it and maybe turn it into somthing fun to play? Thanks for your time -D
I like the sound of it, and I like the idea of a more free magic system that you can noodle around with. If it resembles a normal D&D tabletop, what would skills look like?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ars Magica or Mage the Ascension are certainly primarily magic user focused...
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
I'd suggest reading "Fate Core" and Fate Toolkit. Freely available license, a game that is already popular, and I could definitely your ideas mapping to the mechanics of a Fate game. To keep this discussion Roll20 focused, why not also consider bundling this setting and system into a module for the Marketplace?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
This thread is off-topic for our site. When you signed up for Roll20 you agreed to abide by our Code of Conduct and this post violates the Intended Use section of the code. Since this is a question about roleplaying game mechanics, you’d be better served posting it on a general RPG site, like reddit/r/rpg . I will be archiving this thread. Code of Conduct quoted Intended Use The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there.