Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Could I get someone to properly explain to me how to GM for cyberpunk 2020?

Hi there, I was wondering if anybody would be willing to help me figure out how to GM properly for this game over skype or something like that. I have the PDF file, but I have never GM'ed any tabletop games before. I have tried to make sense of the PDF but all I can do is guess on some parts. I hope it doesn't seem like I am being lazy, I just don't understand some things it explains in the PDF.
Gauss
Forum Champion
To clarify: do you need assistance with the Roll20 application or do you need assistance with how to GM Cyberpunk 2020? - Gauss
Gauss said: To clarify: do you need assistance with the Roll20 application or do you need assistance with how to GM Cyberpunk 2020? - Gauss Cyberpunk 2020 for now.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok, I am going to move this to the appropriate forum then. :)  - Gauss
Gauss said: Ok, I am going to move this to the appropriate forum then. :)  - Gauss Oh whoops :s
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
Hey, I ran a lot of CYBERPUNK 2.0.2.0 in the 90's.  So if you want to ask questions about the rules or running stuff, maybe I can "remember it for you wholesale".  [That's a cyberpunk fiction joke.]
Best piece of advice about GM'ing, is be confident in yourself (even if you feel you are weak on rules), and if you make a decision (right or wrong) stick with it and don't let your players see you sweat. :)
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
... and keep your fridge stocked with doughnuts and McGuffins...
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Dereck j. said: I just don't understand some things it explains in the PDF. Give an example or two on what you are having problems with and most of us should be able to help you. I have the pdf on my computer desktop so give the page number also and we can locate and help you with it.
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
Yeah, ditto!  Answer when you can, Dereck.
Pierre S. said: Yeah, ditto!  Answer when you can, Dereck. Ok, first I want to know what exactly is up with playing a cop. I read the details of the cop, but the problem I have is how are you suppose to even play as one. I mean a cop generally is a person that goes patrolling and arresting criminals. Shouldn't they have to shown up to their workplace and do the jobs they were given? If so wouldn't this kind of interrupt RP? I saw that there were corporate hired cops which maybe have different rules, but I am sure they would at least have to work still. I also would like to know how much money and gear do you give a person at the beginning? Is it just preferance if you want to give them anything at all? Do you have a system to fix that net runner issue I heard  so much about? I saw on a youtube video this guy had a cardboard cutout to hide things. I know he rolls dice and hides char sheets, but what else? Is there something on that cardboard wall that important or is that stuff all on paper? 
Hello Dereck J. Cyberpunk 2020 does not have a class system, characters can progress pretty freely, but still have some classification. You have a Role. Each Role have a specific skill that only them could use, Netrunners have Netrunning, Techie have Jury Rig, Cop has Authority, Corporate have Resources, and so on. There is a table under somewhere in the beginning of the equipment section (mind you I don't have to book right now), and that table shows that how much your monthly income with the skill you have. Higher your skill the more you earn monthly (the more expert you are in your field). As a beginning character you might have a roll of 1d6/2 or 1d6/3 (if I remember correctly) how much monthly payment you start with. I think there was an extra rule that you could start 10,000 Euro spend on Cyberware but that cost you something special (like having someone control over your cyberware, you are monitored, a criminal organization is hunting you, etc). Now, before you start you have to think what kind of group your players would be. If they would be criminals you might restrict them to start with a cop, nudging them to play a Fixer, Techie, Solo, Netrunner and any other more free profession. But perhaps your cop is in undercover mission? No one else knows he is a cop? Maybe later on to avoid your players to shot down your cop might switches sides or reveal his true identity and work as a double agent? You could have a corporate centred group as well, perhaps they are a small security firm, even a kind of mercenary corp. There would be a Corporate Executive, a Cop specializing in the law side of the business, a Solo as a muscle, a MedTech as a doctor, Netrunner for hacking, etc. Or you play as a police task force, perhaps a swat like team specializing to take down cyberpsychos. You might have a cop, solo, even a media (to broadcast to a network the show) in the team. I run and played Cyberpunk in the 90s too. I found that it is quite important to establish the power level and the aim of your games and restrict the gear, skill accordingly. You want to keep your game street level, having gangs, drugs dealers, turf wars around? Restrict the starting skills around 6 and ask the characters to justify their levels. Having 6 in General Knowledge for example it means an university education (perhaps even Phd), imagine someone starting with 8-9. Having 5-6 in your handgun would mean you are an experienced combatant, a good military training, etc. Also restricting the starting Specialty skill gives them less money to start with and les likely they would be cyberpsychos. You want a high scale combat with almost superheroes? Give them extra cash for cybertech, perhaps even extra skill points in the beginning. Hope that helps. If you have more questions feel free to ask.
Oh, right. The Netrunner issue. To be honest I did not like much teh Specialty Skill system, especially so with the Netrunning skill. Why would only the netrunner have true access to the net? Though you might let people to log in with Data Search and let to use the menu. Another issue of course that you can only run one program at the time in one processor. Never mind, you have daemon programs that helps and packs several programs together. I have no real advice how to solve the issues, you might just keep the same system and say the computer technology developed in the different way. There are plenty of other cyberpunkish game out with much better and up-to-dated hacking system. But if you wish you could simply reduce the hacking actions into a few simple rolls of Networking skill and describe the results and the actions. It is especially good way if your team does not want to have delays and do not wish to wait the Netrunner to finish his/her stuff. The Cardboard stuff is often have useful tables in it to help the referee (DM/Storyeteller) to run the game. In Cyberpunk you might want to put the tables for difficulties, the ranged/melee combat modifiers, perhaps some encounter table if you play in Night City (the core rule book have some awesome encounter tables), and anything you might find useful. But one of the main reason of cardboard is to hide the rolls. Just a fun fact. Many storytellers do roll at times when the roll itself is not important. Players to get tense in hidden rolls and you can grab attention :).
How would any of you feel about a younger DM? I am 16 and I feel like that may be an issue. I am sure many of you would be discouraged to hear an 11/12 year old kid is the DM but as for my age I am not sure.
Hehe, you make me feel both really happy and very old. It is amazing that a 16 years old starts to get interested in such an old game as Cyberpunk 2020! As for having a much younger DM, personally I am very happy, I myself started to run stories around the same time to my school friends (and I think I was pretty awful DM and not to sure I improved greatly ;) ), but as far as I know myself I would be very teacher-like and you might want to avoid such a player. But I am curious what kind of story you would run and if I may ask please keep me updated of your first steps as a DM (not to mention feel free to ask any help you might need).
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks for the offer also but your age is not a issue.  I haven't played cyberpunk since before 00 but I'm not into the genre anymore and my hands are rather full. I run one full live game, a pbp game, and play in another pbp game while I go to college full time and take care of my family plus work. If you really feel the itch to run a game, toss a simple run together and post it in the looking for game forum. You will get people posting interest in it and see where it takes you. You can always post your question here in your thread and one or more of us will try to help you. Good luck and have fun.
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
Dereck, your age is okay.  But you may want to dig a bit into the background material of "cyberpunk" fiction.  It is a 1980's invention.  The first cyberpunk novel was Neuromancer by William Gibson.  The whole genre is near-future, nothing too far-out in terms of technology but normal outgrowths of today.  But the main flavour of this fiction is this:  "high-tech, low morals."  The game rules mention you must keep up the "attitude" of Cyberpunk.  D&D says, "loot the bodies" but in Cyberpunk some hopped-up street gangs might start looting the bodies even before you get a chance to finish your fire-fight with the nasty Corporation or Criminal Syndicate.  THAT'S the attitude.  Repeat High Tech Low Morals to yourself a few times before every game.  There is a bibliography of books and movies in the sidebars of pages 187 and 188. Peter Weller played a Cop character in the movie ROBOCOP just before he got dismembered and near-death and turned into the Robocop.  We all saw it then and intuitively understood the Cop.  In the future (let's call "2020" the future instead of just around the corner because in 1991 it was, or you can picture it as an alternative Earth if you prefer; they imagined there would still be Soviets, etc.) the Cops are not facing today's routine but are facing much more violence than today and are under-budgeted and outgunned by criminals who make fabulous money from black-market drugs and cyberware and have a tremendous budget.  They are caught under a hopeless bureaucracy which is probably top-heavy with corruption.  The levels of government have become poor since the Collapse; big corporations can bribe the police a dozen ways to "look the other way".  The Cops may find ways to team up with the other character types to fight the System.  They are also not the only kind of character who may only be adventuring "part-time", linking up with the other player-characters.  Every kind of character may have a "day job".  Their jobs give them contacts to police resources, databases and gear. Starting money and regular income for each character Role was covered somewhere.  I forget what page # it is.  [Edit:  Found it!  Starting Funds, p. 58, then "salary" varies with your level in the Role skill.  But you have to go above 5 to see any change from starting salary.] Since you have to keep track of "salary" you might as well have careful time-keeping in your campaign.  January 1, 2020 falls on a Wednesday.  Find a Perpetual Calendar on the Web that gives you a calendar for every future year. In every RPG, there are times when a GM must roll secretly in cases where the player-characters (PCs) would not know if they succeeded or failed, or if they don't know anything, or if the non-player characters are "off-stage" and must make a skill test of their own to hatch a surprise against the PCs.  For example, one Techie fixes a motorcycle engine and THINKS the repair is going to hold in a night of intense driving around in a car-chase, but he's not sure.  Or the Red Snake Gang is looking for a Fixer character and tries to find out the Fixer's routine.  Do they manage to ambush him outside Thor's Maximum-Security Parking Lot?  So most games sold a game-master screen with some artwork and/or rules tables on the outside for the players, and rules tables on the inside, the standard 3-panel 8-1/2" by 11" fold-out screen stands easily.  Inside they would throw in an 8-page mini-adventure with no covers.  None of the tables are any different from what's in the book, it's just more convenient to get to. There WAS a game master screen for Cyberpunk 2020 and I got it!  You can just tape up 3 pieces of cardboard and attach some photocopies of the crucial tables of the game, or I can scan the 6 pages of it for you.  But since you're not playing face-to-face, you're using Roll20 and are not directly seen anyway it is easy to make a "secret roll" so you don't really need the screen.
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
By the way, if you like Cyberpunk, you may also like my favourite boardgame: &nbsp; ANDROID, for 3-5 players. &nbsp; It is a work of art. &nbsp; In this game 5 detectives have to run around on a board to "solve" a murder, in a world resembling the movie BLADE RUNNER with not one but two companies making brands of artificial humans. &nbsp;The trouble is, it's not like Clue. &nbsp;You're not going to get a clear answer for who the killer was out of the 5 suspects. &nbsp;Your detectives want fame and recognition from their bosses by "framing" their preferred suspect. &nbsp;I told you, it's high-tech and low-morals, even for the police force. &nbsp;Like all good cop series, the detectives also have some "issues" in their personal lives to work out (Plot cards, the best part of the game). &nbsp;Two of these detectives are in fact artificial persons, from the Jinteki and Haas-Bioroid Corporations respectively, under added pressure to prove their worth. &nbsp;This is all so mind-blowing, I wished that Joss Whedon would make a TV series out of it. The Plot Cards may be changed each game (choice of 3 sets per player), and there are several murder scenarios so the replay value is okay. <a href="http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=68&amp;enmi=Android" rel="nofollow">http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=68&amp;enmi=Android</a>
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
I am chock full of "How to Game-Master" tips from having bought 80 RPGs and reading each of their write-ups, and also a few paperback books about the hobby over the decades. In Cyberpunk 2020 the tips are on pp. (pages)* 186-189 -- but it assumes that people had already played some games. &nbsp;By the 90's this was true for most. The how-to pages in my favourite game, Star Frontiers: Alpha Dawn were written with the intention that the game-box would be sold far and wide, in ordinary bookstores to ordinary suburbia and it might be the first RPG kids would buy. &nbsp;So they have much more basic tips like how to prepare, how to write interesting adventures and how to keep a game moving and avoiding having it bogged down. &nbsp;It might be good for you to download just that book, and read just &nbsp; pp. 75-104 , minus the section about Creatures since you're not likely to have natural biological creatures in the big cyberpunk&nbsp;city (or are you?) &nbsp;I'm not trying to "plug" the whole game -- not today, anyway! &nbsp;Just the juicy RPG tips. <a href="http://starfrontiersman.com/downloads/remastered" rel="nofollow">http://starfrontiersman.com/downloads/remastered</a> *Fun fact: &nbsp;why is the abbreviation for page p., but for pages pp.? &nbsp;This has come hundreds of years all the way from Latin, where the Romans doubled the letter of an abbreviation to show there was more than one. &nbsp;In Spanish they still do this with the abbreviation for "United States", (Estados Unidos) which is EEUU.
Damn, thanks for the help and support everyone.
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
To the movie-list in the game rules, I would add those movies that came out after the rules were written: FREEJACK &nbsp; (1992, Emilio Estevez, Mick Jagger) JOHNNY MNEMONIC &nbsp; (1995, Keanu Reeves) STRANGE DAYS &nbsp;(1995, Ralph Fiennes) TEK WAR mini-series and TV episodes (1994, Greg Evigan, William Shatner) I got the DVD set of Tek War. &nbsp;Right in the first movie it has an amazing sequence for showing Netrunners. &nbsp;Everyone can use computers and even immerse themselves in 3-D presence, but the Netrunners are the only ones who hack computers using 3-D representations of where they are in the system. &nbsp;The Corporations however throw out nasty defenses that also look like 3D shapes. &nbsp;In the original first-edition Cyberpunk the Netrunners could chose an Interface to make the procedures more real to them: &nbsp;fantasy, 'Tronnic (looks like the TRON movies), 1930's gangsters, etc. and each opposing program would look like some kind of NPC or creature from that setting. In this scene from Tek War, Jake wants to locate his ex-wife and son in the world. &nbsp;He must deal with a "Fixer" who gets him in touch with two Netrunners. &nbsp; AFTER the end of this clip (I think it cut off too early), the hackers manage to connect a long-distance holographic call to Jake's son and Jake has all of one minute to talk to the son he hasn't seen in years. &nbsp;Then everyone high-tails it out of there before the Corps can get a fix. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvpEoOlZf2g" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvpEoOlZf2g</a> They've reissued the 1990's collectible card-game NETRUNNER, by the way, redressing it in the Android boardgame setting. &nbsp;That was a great card-game set of rules but "lost in the shuffle" of the great collectible card-game glut. <a href="http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=207" rel="nofollow">http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=207</a>
Most important rule about GMing Cyberpunk2020? PLAY IT AS CYBERPUNK 2020 AND NOT SHADOWRUN. I'm serious. You have no idea how many times I thought I'd be going into tech-noir thriller...only to end up hearing about "Mr Johnson" , "Chummers" and magic slinging elves. GMs thinking that if they ran C2020 the same way they do SR, really miss the point. Remember: Cyberpunk 2020 is your chance to really explore how players handle situations without the aid of magical mcguffins and spells. It is, of all the "scifi" games I've ever played, the most human. Keep it that way.
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
I do have NIGHT'S EDGE, though, a Cyberpunk 2020 supplement from Ianus Publications of Montreal, 1992. &nbsp;You get to play Cyberpunk with vampires in it.
Pierre, Yeah, and I have CthulhuPunk (which is exactly what it sounds like). The point is though....vampires, deep ones, magic? Those are designed to change up an established game. Players used to fighting science spawned lab beasts, corporate assassins, and gang bangers (your standard C2020 game) will get surprised when suddenly the guy they shot up, flips back onto his feet, snarls and turns into a bat. This leads to the inevitable "vampire vs strange but explainable mutant" discussions in the group. The players questioning how a grounded game (at least as "grounded" as a game allowing you to fuse diamond tipped drills onto your arms can be) dealing with futuristic, but ultimately human/human caused threats suddenly changed gears. Will super science save the day or do the players have to delve into mysteries that change how they see the world? The point is: those books CHALLENGE the established setting. That's why they work. If they are there at the get go, if there is no established idea of "no magic/no monsters" then there is no surprise, there is no flavor, in other words...there is no C2020. ...at least that's how I see it. (BTW: how was that supplement?)
Hahhahahaha, this cyberpunk world has aged so poorly! The computers are so bulky and many of their ideas are so outdated. I still like it though.
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
Dereck, yes you're right. &nbsp;The illustrations show cellphones in 1990's size. &nbsp;Take it as an alternative universe, then, with big bad Communist Russians still about, and the women running around with 80's haircuts let's say.
Dereck j. said: Hahhahahaha, this cyberpunk world has aged so poorly! The computers are so bulky and many of their ideas are so outdated. I still like it though. It's like what Bill Corbett (the voice of Crow T. Robot from MST3K) often said: "In the future of the past we will have all lived like this....which makes me happy to live in the now."
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
The future's not what it used to be. I'm new to this Roll20 stuff. &nbsp; Is the general Cyberpunk roll of the form /roll @Stat+@Skill+1d10!+Modifiers &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ?
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
So Dereck, any specific rules questions? &nbsp;Metroknight and I have experience in it. &nbsp;It was fun messing with my home-city and making a debased future version of it.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Pierre S. said: Is the general Cyberpunk roll of the form /roll @Stat+@Skill+1d10!+Modifiers &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ? Yeah it is. I once stripped the system down and created a sci-fi setting based around the mechanics. I wish I still had my notebook from then. I was working on making a super hero version of those mechanics back then also.
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
Like I was telling Lou, I have an approved-for-Cyberpunk supplement from Ianus&nbsp;Publications to make Vampire characters in Cyberpunk.&nbsp; I did NOT actually read it though, but they put in an alternative character sheet for it.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Pierre S. said: Like I was telling Lou, I have an approved-for-Cyberpunk supplement from Ianus&nbsp;Publications to make Vampire characters in Cyberpunk.&nbsp; I did NOT actually read it though, but they put in an alternative character sheet for it. I played in that one once and it is cool if they referee pulls it off good aka they love horror genre. Nothing more terrifing then having a cybercrazed vampire coming at you in bloodlust and you realize that it is so armored up your wooden stake won't crack it's alloy plating.
Uh.... what?&nbsp;/roll @Stat+@Skill+1d10!+Modifiers What's a&nbsp;modifier?&nbsp;
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
modifiers is anything you wish to claim as something that would influence the roll. There is really no way at the moment to add a random modifier on the fly. you would need to add it into the roll/macro prior to rolls but that would defeat the purpose of the macro being able to speed up your rolling. You could get away with that by just creating an attribute called "Modifiers" and use it in the formula. You would then need to have the sheet open so that you could change it as needed so there is no way to easily do it quick. The formula would then look like :&nbsp; /roll @Stat+@Skill+1d10!+@Modifiers
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
The discussion of the skill-roll rules is in Section 4, Working, p. 41. &nbsp;There are major Stats which are like the basic physical and mental characteristics in D&amp;D. &nbsp;Then there are Skills which are more like training; each Skill is related logically to a Stat. &nbsp;The character sheet groups the Skills according to their root Stat. &nbsp;Then a Task Difficulty Level is set for something, and you must equal or beat it with Stat+Skill+1d10. &nbsp;You may set modifiers, + or - depending on the situation. &nbsp;Modifiers are numbers for any factors that may make things easier or harder. If a character doesn't have the right skill, they may still try with Stat+1d10 alone. If you create a Macro you could add or subtract anything to pre-set dice-rolls on the fly, just by hanging a "+" sign to the end of the equation. &nbsp;But you'd have to set a characteristic for every Stat and every Skill you have, and make a pre-set macro for every kind of skill roll your character has. For example, a Rockerboy can sway mobs with his Charismatic Leadership skill, a skill unique to his Role, assuming he can play his guitar. &nbsp;The roll is COOL+Charismatic Leadership+1d10! &nbsp;(the ! is an "exploding" die; on a roll of 10 you keep the 10 and roll another d10. &nbsp;It is like you created a whole new die hence one "explodes" from the other. &nbsp;The rules don't explicitly say so but I let it "compound" if you get lucky and roll yet another 10, reaching those Very Difficult or Nearly Impossible Task Difficulties.) So, assuming you make a monster sheet with all the Stats and Skills defined as Characteristics, you can make a Sway Mobs Roll macro, carefully selecting the right skills and stats from a drop-down list that appears when you press @: #sway /r @{COOL}+@{C_L}+1d10!+ The hanging + means that when you run the macro you can add positive or negative modifiers right when you're typing the macro command (not after sending it): #sway -3 8+3+|7|+-3 =15. Or, at least I hope it would work out like that. &nbsp;But it's a lot of work making a comprehensive sheet all in characteristics. &nbsp;You may as well develop proficiency in doing the arithmetic manually and roll a simple 1d10 with a 3-D or GUI die. You can make a Macro like that but I don't think you can set an Ability on the sheet because Abilities make buttons and you can't add a modifier to a press of the button. &nbsp;I'm still learning Roll20 though.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
@ Pierre : you are right that you can not add modifiers to a roll on the fly. That is why I pointed out making a attribute and using it to do the on the fly adds. I forgot about macros being able to have mods added to them on the fly.
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
Yeah, the "hanging +" in the Macro is a useful trick. &nbsp;But doesn't work to define an Ability roll since that's a button on the screen to click and doesn't let you add a number. &nbsp;Maybe apply the modifier after the roll not during.
Just saw Bladerunner and a Tekwar movie. I thought bladerunner was a bit dull but interesting. Tekwar was funny. In Cyberpunk it is generally mentioned all animals pretty much went extinct. I just can't see how that happened, but whatever. So they create artificial animals to take their place, but they are expensive. What makes a&nbsp;difference&nbsp;between an artificial dog and a real dog?&nbsp;I know the artificial is lab grown in a lab, but is there any other&nbsp;difference. Is the&nbsp;artificial dog&nbsp;infertile or what?&nbsp;
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
Blade Runner is my favourite movie. &nbsp;It "echoed" in my game plots for a while. &nbsp;I don't know what the Cyberpunk game says about animals. &nbsp;I remember in RETURN TO THE PLANET OF THE APES, the third Planet of the Apes movie in the 1970s, they said all dogs and cats mysteriously died so that somehow had to do with getting people used to apes as pets, then as workers, then things went to heck. &nbsp;It was some common kind of idea from the late 60's about accumulating pollution stressing the animals first. &nbsp;In BLADE RUNNER the artificial animals were some kind of cyborgs just like the rebel workers who came back to Earth to "meet their maker".
Dereck, Pierre. In Cyberpunk 2020 they do follow the same trend as in Bladerunner (my favourite movie too, and love the music of Vangelis in the film). Though not all of the animals died, many species extinct, like horses.&nbsp; And what make an artificial animal different than the real one? It is up to you. After all that was one of the real questions of Bladerunner. What was the difference between the Replicants and the real humans? Replicants were created to live short, but what if there were Replicants without this time limitation? Something that is almost exactly as human? Who do remember childhood memories of small spiders climb out from their egg and eat their mother? (Rachel) And there is a huge chance we won't see many species in the near future, extinction existed before humans, but we are do attached of the animals and pets in a way. One of the most endangered territories according to scientist are the oceans and seas, our fisheries could "dry" out due of many factors. That does not mean it would be a wasteland. Some other species dwell better in the changed environment. A few years ago for example there were an "invasion" of jellyfishes in the Japanese Sea. It is up to you what will be the difference of the difference between the real animals and artificial ones.&nbsp;Infertile&nbsp;could make a sense in a commercially produced species (as some corporation today create infertile plants so the farmers have to buy the seeds next years again) or perhaps to control the breeding as in Jurassic Park. They ca be even stronger, better, than the natural ones, or the opposite, weaker, less able to react to environment, like the toys in the Bladerunner's scene who walks aimlessly and crash into the edges. What I do remember in the Cyberpunk book's environmental issues is the acid rains in Night City, and the heavily polluted air. They have "fresh air" kiosks and selling durable rain coats for protection. Also they use&nbsp;bio-diesel mostly.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
Things are pretty grim in this setting.&nbsp; Animals are said to be gone.&nbsp; Green spaces are probably only for the wealthy; all others get concrete and soot.&nbsp; They probably constructed "arcologies" for the wealthy and the middle-to-upper-middle class which are like shopping malls, condos and hanging-garden green spaces all intimately mixed together, attempting to create an attractive environment but ultimately grating on the nerves of the arcology kids.&nbsp; For my home-city I imagined they constructed "space metals" in microgravity that were stronger and that enabled greater engineering feats, and so I created the Lake Towers connected with streets in perfect rectangular grids that put the center of gravity of city population further south, and condos way into the water.&nbsp; It gets on the nerves of Lake Tower kids as well; they form gangs and pick fights with the arcology kids.&nbsp; But teen&nbsp;outlooks are&nbsp;something more suitable for CYBERGENERATION, a game set in 2027 that's a sequel to CYBERPUNK 2020 but mixes in "new mutant" concepts.