Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Leftover artifacts after an interrupted drag and drop from art library

Easiest way to recreate this is to start dragging something onto a map and then pressing or holding the alt key while dragging. The map page itself appears to refresh, and the preview for the item that you were dragging gets stuck wherever it was at the time, ie. drawn over the entirety of the UI. Doesn't disappear while switching maps either, so the easiest way to remove it is to refresh the page. Oddly, it seems much less likely to occur after it's already happened twice (sometimes once). This part is a bit opaque. Running Windows 8 and Firefox 34.0
1420250673

Edited 1420260768
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Sam, can you go to this page ( <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Solving_Technical_Issues" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Solving_Technical_Issues</a> ) and follow steps 1 - 3? If none of those help you, can you perform step 4 and post it here? Step 1 is checking to make sure you have the right browser. While firefox works well (usually) with roll20, chrome is the official browser for here. Have you tried out chrome to see if it gives you the same problem? I tried my firefox (33.03) on my laptop (win 7) and could not replicate your problem but that might be due to differences of the OS and browser version.
1420259986

Edited 1420260667
I've found the reason, I think. The window is redrawn by necessity whenever the window is resized, and hitting alt in Firefox with a hidden menu bar causes it to act as though the menu bar has appeared (it actually does appear if you only tap alt). This resizes the page due to the way firefox handles hidden toolbars and forces the redraw. I imagine the same might occur in Chrome with autohidden toolbars in Chrome's fullscreen, but haven't tested this. I've worked around it in my browser by installing an addon which adjusts the way the various toolbars are displayed and running in fullscreen mode (which actually ended up making roll20 even nicer to use =D ). The addon in question is this one ( <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fu" rel="nofollow">https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fu</a>... ) for those who run into the same issue and similarly refuse to set the menu bar to always show. So really, the bug still remains, but it's different to what I originally described. After some additional testing I believe the ACTUAL bug to be this: If the window is RESIZED while dragging and dropping an element from the Art Gallery, causing the Art Gallery (ie. the source of the dragged image) to refresh, then the item's preview is not correctly removed. Of course this situation is reasonably rare, but it should still be patched out. Additionally, this implies that there are other, more common use cases which will trigger this bug . Consider the case where I search for an image (leaving the search box focussed). I then start dragging an object. I hit the 'w' key (Advanced shortcuts) to hide the sidebar. This seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do, as I want to see the map to place the item. At this point, the behaviour splits based on if the search box was still focussed. If the search bar is NOT focussed (say, because I clicked one of the favourite stars) then this works as one might expect. The sidebar slides out of the way, and I can see the full map to place my item. However, if the search bar IS still focussed I'll accidentally append a 'w' to whatever I had searched for, causing the search to trigger again, the source of my dragged item to disappear, and the preview to be stuck forever wherever my cursor happened to be at the time. That might have been hard to follow, if you need more info on the bug please say so. I guess the most generic way to describe this would be: If, while dragging an item from the Art Gallery , the Art Gallery is refreshed causing the source item to disappear, then the preview of the item which was being dragged is never removed. You should be able to replicate this in Chrome, or anywhere :) (Edit: Typo fix)
Oh also your link didn't work because you appended a trailing )
Yep, just tested. Definitely also occurs in Chrome. New blank map, searched for 'cat', started dragging a cat, hit 'w', borked.
Cats everywhere.
1420502351
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I've been able to replicate this problem and we'll look into fixing it.
Cheers.