Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

LFG (Tentative): players wanted for STAR FRONTIERS and TRAVELLER 5th ed., I am EDT (GMT-4), English language.

Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
It may not be right for me to post prematurely, but I want to gauge some interest and to take down some names of people to contact later. I am a game master for science-fiction tabletop RPGs.&nbsp; My GM style is heavy science background (versimilitude) and changes of scenery with powers of description (you will believe .)&nbsp; I am new to Roll20 and want to gauge interest in these rarer games, one very old and the other so new you may not be able to get it quite yet. STAR FRONTIERS was TSR's first entry in science-fiction (1982) and offered a fast combat system for integrated personal, vehicle and aerial combat.&nbsp;&nbsp; The game mechanic (in the original&nbsp;Alpha Dawn version)&nbsp;is percentage chance rolled with a base value +&nbsp;10% per level of skill.&nbsp;&nbsp; So easy. &nbsp;It also had great tips for creating and running games that were sorely needed in the beginning of the hobby and a good resource for beginner players today.&nbsp; The rule mechanics are still &nbsp;my favourite game.&nbsp; Adobe (.pdf) files of the current fan-based edition are available for free here <a href="http://starfrontiersman.com/downloads/remastered" rel="nofollow">http://starfrontiersman.com/downloads/remastered</a> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; TRAVELLER 5th-edition &nbsp;(Far Future Enterprises) is a new edition personally authored by Marc Miller, coming in a 656-page core rulebook.&nbsp; It is described in a video on the Kickstarter site, which has by now been funded and closed.&nbsp; The game mechanic will be a roll- under system, not the classic Traveller system, with a greater number of d6 dice to roll as the task gets more difficult, from 2-10 dice to roll plus&nbsp;up to 2 single dice&nbsp;of different colours for severity effects (?) <a href="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/traveller5/traveller-5th-edition" rel="nofollow">http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/traveller5/traveller-5th-edition</a> <a href="http://www.farfuture.net" rel="nofollow">http://www.farfuture.net</a> &nbsp; &nbsp; (Marc Miller's new company. &nbsp;Traveller 5 orders are not activated there yet.) I've made a kind of pre-order past the original Kickstarter pledgers but it may be a month or more before I get my own copy.&nbsp; So I have no prepared campaign quite yet. I am in the Eastern Time Zone (GMT-5; GMT-4 daylight-saving time), and don't let my name fool you: &nbsp;I speak English 100%. So if you know these games I'm talking about, contact me.
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
Hey, this Roll20 works much easier than I thought!&nbsp; For STAR FRONTIERS I uploaded and properly gridded several of the generic maps in the original box and saved them, and they look colourful and simply great!&nbsp; The large Port Loren city map I could not transfer, though; it keeps cutting off almost all the right half of it (63 x 42 squares is the original size.) [Edit: &nbsp;the problem was fixed, the large Port Loren map is now all there!] I haven't found images of the original counters, where they provided many half-inch counters in the original box.&nbsp; If I do it will be easy to make classic counters into tokens. If you stick&nbsp;the "Initiative Modifier" (IM) in the&nbsp;Characteristics column of a character sheet, you can easily make an Initiative Ability to roll for Initiative.&nbsp; Every player will have this as a roll, and should also set up what their particular weapon damage-rolls will be as Abilities.&nbsp; For most melee weapons, you can add the Punching Score (PS) to damage.&nbsp; Examples: Initiative&nbsp;&nbsp; /r 1d10+@{IM } Automatic_Rifle_(burst)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; /r 5d10 Vibroknife&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; /r 1d10+@{PS } Players should wait to choose either a pre-generated character sheet from a set I will provide, or generate their own starting characters from an unfilled template I will also provide.
What sort of running schedule are you proposing. I do like traveller, alpha dawn , knight hawks, even zebulons guide (too bad the second book with the powered armor never appeared) . Heck, Star Frontiers was the precursor to Firefly, you could be a space cowboy on the frontier worlds. &nbsp;Zip yer Elmore drawn Skeinsuit up and crank your laser rifle to the highest SEU setting.&nbsp;
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
I am soliciting for what people's favourite times would be on the forum of my campaign (Under Construction). &nbsp;I will send you the link.
Depending on when you play, I'd be interested. I've had the original Star Frontiers set since about 1984 and never gotten around to playing it.&nbsp;
Hi Pierre, I'm a longtime fan of Star Frontiers, and would&nbsp;definitely&nbsp;be&nbsp;interested &nbsp;in joining a campaign over Roll20. &nbsp;I'm also a big fan of Traveller and, while I'm mostly familiar with Classic Traveller, plan on buying into T5 if and when it is finally released. &nbsp; &nbsp;
Hey Pierre, I'd be interested depending on the time and could possibly bring along a friend.&nbsp; We both just got the T5 book and it would be great to play with an experienced Traveller GM.&nbsp; We are just starting to wade through the rules and there are a lot of them... :)
Im a long time SciFi player, as well as Cyberpunk, would be interested in playing Traveller depending on night and time, Im on the east coast, you can reach me on skype under toddwilkinson24, or email <a href="mailto:toddwilkinson24@gmail.com" rel="nofollow">toddwilkinson24@gmail.com</a>
Count me in. I'm always up for a Sci Fi adventure.
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
I hope I have sent you all a link to my STAR FRONTIERS campaign, under construction, in a private message. TRAVELLER 5th-edition will take some months. &nbsp;You see, the Kickstarter pledges are now receiving this product but there are 1,500 of them, and they are getting a personalized hand-signed book from Marc Miller and Emperor Strephon their own selves.&nbsp; So orders are slow.&nbsp; I ordered from an order link provided on Facebook by a member of the development team but I get mine only AFTER these Kickstarter orders are done, and that may be until mid-June. But, with luck, I hope to provide a very good show where the subject is straight-up science fiction.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am not much experienced in any Traveller.&nbsp;
Hi Pierre, Used to love Star Frontiers and would enjoy playing again. And my Traveller 5 book just arrived today! Hope you get yours soon.&nbsp; I'm GMT-10 so 6 hours behind you. Though if you plan on running on weekends I could get up very early. I'm pretty flexible. I've run two long lasting campaigns through Roll20 so if you have any questions on the interface just ask.