Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Just some ideas

Movement- it would help if while a player is moving their token everyone could see the movement being made. Right now you only see before and after the player moves their token(were they started and where they placed it) being able to actually see a players movement wile there dragging their token around would help a lot. Maybe even the measurement tool being displayed in their movement path. Also might be helpful if a GM could limit a players token movement, only letting it move so many squares each movement, if a player has a speed of 30 ft it can only move 6 squares at a time. Vision- if you could set vision radius on a token, anything outside of there vision range has fog of war. a token with a vision of 60ft can see 60 squares in all directions. and so on. that being said.... Light Sources- being able to set it at day or night. in daylight vision range would be... basically as far as they can see without obstructions. at night you would need a light source i.e, torch, lamp, streetlights and maybe even the moon, to see, unless having something like dark-vision in which case your vision would be limited by your range of sight. and a GM would be able to add light sources to objects and tokens and setting the range of the light source. adding light sources in this way would be very helpful from a GM point of view in the sense that you wouldn't have to be on the fog of war tool over and over, reveling and hiding objects and creatures as they go in and out of view. Fog Of War- in order for light sources and range of sight to work there would need to be two kinds of fog of war, the normal fog of war, being all black revealing nothing to the players, and another that shows what the players have already seen, but they cant see any changes being made to said area once they move out of vision range. also working well with dynamic lighting. Token- drop down boxes when you hover over a token that could have a portrait or information or both, visible to players or hidden for the GM to make notes on. These are just some ideas i think would enhance game play a ton. Thoughts?
Movement, what happens when they are running, but can't move more. • Why is beginning and end not enough? I actually prefer it as I don't have to watch them trace their option. Now the measurement tool being displayed after/during their movement, that is more convenient for everyone. Hard to have a ruler out and move tokens. • What happens if they are encumbered? It starts getting too complicated. I am not asking Roll20 to do all of the work for me, just an equal amount to what I will do in person. Takes seconds to count squares or to use the measuring tool. Vision • That is coming Light sources • some may be coming, not an expert as for me I feel it is uneeded and will be too much prep work. Token • all requested and I am hoping they have listened.
Indeed, counting movement points automatically can become tricky. For exemple, if the token has to make a U-turn around an obstacle or a wall, it could finish its move one square away from where it began, the program should have to know the obstacles to calculate correctly. Or, if some terrain costs more to move through, you would have to input it before play... It would be much work to prepare each map before playing. Vision is coming and, from video, it seems to be working quite smoothly. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAFTAhU12Do&feature=plcp" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAFTAhU12Do&feature=plcp</a> As for tokens portraits, I have compared some possibilities to do it here <a href="http://community.roll20.net/discussion/1481/token-portraits#Item_2" rel="nofollow">http://community.roll20.net/discussion/1481/token-portraits#Item_2</a>
Patrick, I am hoping for Token Portraits they will just us link the Tokens to the Character Sheets in that particular section, which it can pull the portrait/graphic from there.
Wouldn't the portrait be only visible for the owner of the token if it was implemented this way?
I wouldn't think so, you can show the character sheet to "All players"
It would be better to be able to separate the portrait. I suppose there could be some things on the character sheet that wouldn't be public (depending, on what you play, of course).
• Why is beginning and end not enough? I agree with the rest of what you have to say, but I find that having a path traced (along with the ability to set points where you change direction along the way) is useful because you can't see the exact way they moved if it's just beginning and end with nothing displayed in-between. For instance say you're playing a later edition of D&D and you need to know if he skirted around an orc's zone of control or if the orc can use an opportunity attack; that sort of thing isn't necessarily possible to deduce from the beginning and end-points alone, and then you need to slow the game up by asking "hey, did you go around that orc's zone of control?"
Yes, that happened to me in a game. PC started at one point and ended in another, had to inform him that that would cause an attack of opportunity for moving through a threatened square. From his point of view, he was looking at how to move around the field to avoid that and come in to deliver an attack. Once it was clarified, it was OK. For teh time being, you could always ask the PCs to move their tokens 1 square at a time so that you (as the GM) can see where (and through what) they are moving.